IGNORED

New Stadium (no, not that one, or the other one..)

Atlanta_Red

This seems sheer madness.  The first photo shows the current Georgia Dome (white roof), which hosts the NFL Atlanta Falcons, major concerts and the occasional international football match.  It's about 20 years old - relatively new.  The other photos show the interior, which is incredible. These were scenes from a match last year featuring the USA taking on Jamaica.  Massive four tiers, seating for over 71,000, and is state-of-the-art.

Notice the construction going on next to it?  Well, that's its replacement.  Yes, within literal spitting distance, an alternative stadium is being built to host the Falcons and the MLS team Atlanta United starting next year.  Mainly funded by private money, the rest coming from a local hotel tax, the total cost will be about $1.4bn.  What about the existing stadium?  It's being knocked down to build the new car park. Madness.

Why?  Because 20 years old is deemed old over here.  It's no longer new enough to attract the Superbowl any more.  Oh, and they want a retractable roof just in case it rains.  It was decided not to refit the Georgia Dome, but to start from scratch.  50 feet away.  Only in America.

If only something like this wonderful stadium could have been shipped to Bristol, piece by piece.  A bit like the Middlebrough Bridge in Auf Wiedersehen Pet.  

March-aerial-4-1200x840.jpg

Stadium2.JPG

Stadium3.JPG

7 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I posted the fly through video earlier on the stadium thread, an unbelievable stafium, love the views from the bar and behind the dug outs! 

http://youtu.be/6ZriJc0Wwag

I just bought by season ticket for their inaugural season starting next year.  Looking forward to the views.

Are we that much different over here though?  Chelsea are about to tear down 3 sides of a ground that can't be more than 15 years old..  The Kippax at Man City was only 8 years old when it was demolished... I guess before long some of the new stadiums over here will start to go - I think S****horpe may be the first..

6 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Are we that much different over here though?  Chelsea are about to tear down 3 sides of a ground that can't be more than 15 years old..  The Kippax at Man City was only 8 years old when it was demolished... I guess before long some of the new stadiums over here will start to go - I think S****horpe may be the first..

It's the equivalent of knocking down the Emirates in 10 years!  Crazy!

5 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

It is different here, we are rebuilding/renovating in the same place, you've just got to look at the photo @Atlanta_Red has posted where relatively new stadiums (in our eyes) are being torn down after new stadiums have been built.

Anyway here's my favourite :cool:

thebighouse.jpeg

53 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

It is different here, we are rebuilding/renovating in the same place, you've just got to look at the photo @Atlanta_Red has posted where relatively new stadiums (in our eyes) are being torn down after new stadiums have been built.

thebighouse.jpeg

Seems crazy.  107,000 seater stadium, filled to capacity just for college games.

1 hour ago, Atlanta_Red said:

This seems sheer madness.  The first photo shows the current Georgia Dome (white roof), which hosts the NFL Atlanta Falcons, major concerts and the occasional international football match.  It's about 20 years old - relatively new.  The other photos show the interior, which is incredible. These were scenes from a match last year featuring the USA taking on Jamaica.  Massive four tiers, seating for over 71,000, and is state-of-the-art.

Notice the construction going on next to it?  Well, that's its replacement.  Yes, within literal spitting distance, an alternative stadium is being built to host the Falcons and the MLS team Atlanta United starting next year.  Mainly funded by private money, the rest coming from a local hotel tax, the total cost will be about $1.4bn.  What about the existing stadium?  It's being knocked down to build the new car park. Madness.

Why?  Because 20 years old is deemed old over here.  It's no longer new enough to attract the Superbowl any more.  Oh, and they want a retractable roof just in case it rains.  It was decided not to refit the Georgia Dome, but to start from scratch.  50 feet away.  Only in America.

If only something like this wonderful stadium could have been shipped to Bristol, piece by piece.  A bit like the Middlebrough Bridge in Auf Wiedersehen Pet.  

Stadium2.JPG

Stadium3.JPG

They need all that room to fit in 70,000 hot dogs and 140,000 buckets of soda. 

2 hours ago, Tomarse said:

I agree, but not sure you're correct regarding the Kippax, it was a terrace until 1994 when it was demolished and rebuilt under the terms of the Taylor Report - it hadn't been demolished before 1994...it was a vociferous home 'side' from 1923.

Unless you meant Man City left Maine Road nine years after rebuilding the Kippax? If that's the case I apologise chief...

2 hours ago, Atlanta_Red said:

Stadium2.JPG

Stadium3.JPG

I've seen the fly through of the new stadium, looks incredible. 

I'm in Atlanta in the autumn for a month and am gutted it's not finished until next year!

The big difference is that American franchises get massive public funding to build new stadiums due to their continuous threats that they will simply up and leave if they don't get it.

Can remember watching John oliver do a peice on last week tonight that is worth a watch if you can find it on YouTube. 

Then you have the college teams that make millions off their teams but don't have to pay the athletes anything. However as they are nonprofit they have to spend the money they make... So keep spending on upgrading facilities, stadiums etc simply just to get rid of it!

17 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

The big difference is that American franchises get massive public funding to build new stadiums due to their continuous threats that they will simply up and leave if they don't get it.

Can remember watching John oliver do a peice on last week tonight that is worth a watch if you can find it on YouTube. 

Then you have the college teams that make millions off their teams but don't have to pay the athletes anything. However as they are nonprofit they have to spend the money they make... So keep spending on upgrading facilities, stadiums etc simply just to get rid of it!

True.  The colleges do make millions.  And alumni have to make substantial monetary gifts on an annual basis just to make sure they are allowed to buy season tickets.  These stadiums sell out all the time.  The coaches are paid millions too, and as cider said, they spend their money just to get rid of it.

The new Atlanta stadiums (the Braves are having a new one built too for next season costing $700m) are partly funded from private sources, but also from local taxes.  It's also very true that these franchises move around the country for richer pickings. The Atlanta Braves were the Milwaukee Braves, and the Boston Braves before that.  The Atlanta Thrashers left Atlanta a couple of years ago to become the Winnipeg Jets.  No loyalty for the fans, but equally a lot of the fans have no loyalty for the local teams.  I have many colleagues who go to watch the Braves just so they can see the Red Sox or the Yankees.  It can be pretty sterile.

Not so the for the college 'football' (Ugh).  Their loyalty to their schools is deep and lasts a lifetime.

3 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

thebighouse.jpeg

Which Morrisons is that then?

8 hours ago, Atlanta_Red said:

True.  The colleges do make millions.  And alumni have to make substantial monetary gifts on an annual basis just to make sure they are allowed to buy season tickets.  These stadiums sell out all the time.  The coaches are paid millions too, and as cider said, they spend their money just to get rid of it.

The new Atlanta stadiums (the Braves are having a new one built too for next season costing $700m) are partly funded from private sources, but also from local taxes.  It's also very true that these franchises move around the country for richer pickings. The Atlanta Braves were the Milwaukee Braves, and the Boston Braves before that.  The Atlanta Thrashers left Atlanta a couple of years ago to become the Winnipeg Jets.  No loyalty for the fans, but equally a lot of the fans have no loyalty for the local teams.  I have many colleagues who go to watch the Braves just so they can see the Red Sox or the Yankees.  It can be pretty sterile.

Not so the for the college 'football' (Ugh).  Their loyalty to their schools is deep and lasts a lifetime.

The best analogy to that is our football. Professional (american) football is relatively young compared to college. Some college teams have been around longer than some English football league clubs. As you have said the loyalty to the team (college) lasts a lifetime which is on par with our football.

12 hours ago, Atlanta_Red said:

Winnipeg had themselves lost their NHL team in 1996 when it moved to Arizona, while the Thrashers themselves were an 'expansion' team around 1999 iirc. It's a bizarre system, but it's not like Atlanta had a fine tradition of ice hockey, the NHL wanted some new teams and Atlanta was a big city with no top tier side. They tried something, it didn't work, they moved on. It didn't help that Atalanta were awful and only made the play offs oncein about 10 seasons 

Sorry, I appreciate that's moving away from the point you were making. But most of the time in US sports, if the local population get behind a 'franchise' it'll become established. If they don't, they can't really complain

17 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

thebighouse.jpeg

I ran the Ann Arbor marathon a few years back:  the race started at the stadium (sadly outside not in):  immense building.  Though, to be honest, the rest of the university equally dominates the town.

14 hours ago, Atlanta_Red said:

Which itself is mad, with the Braves having only moved to Turner Field after the 1996 Olympics.

17 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

thebighouse.jpeg

Shock that the Michigan fan loves the Big House.

Although saying that I would love to experience the place full (107,601) for an Ohio State game. Surely must be the oldest stadium with a capacity that high!

58 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I ran the Ann Arbor marathon a few years back:  the race started at the stadium (sadly outside not in):  immense building.  Though, to be honest, the rest of the university equally dominates the town.

M Den's on every corner, or so it seems anyways!

My partner's aunt is part of the senior management for the college and said she should be able to 'get the keys' so we can go in sometime on our next visit.

It's a lovely part of the USA.

2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Which itself is mad, with the Braves having only moved to Turner Field after the 1996 Olympics.

But the location has seemed to be the issue over the last few years, along with claims that it needs an expensive face-lift.  Turner Field is south of Atlanta in a not-so-good neighbourhood area, while at the same time most of the people who go to the games come from the north side of town.

1 minute ago, Atlanta_Red said:

But the location has seemed to be the issue over the last few years, along with claims that it needs an expensive face-lift.  Turner Field is south of Atlanta in a not-so-good neighbourhood area, while at the same time most of the people who go to the games come from the north side of town.

I have been there for a couple of games, and I recall it was an arse-ache travelling from the north side of town.

Archived