IGNORED

BristolSport & The First of The Seven Cardinal Sins

Jack Dawe

Interesting that BristolSport have elected to make #pride, the first cardinal sin, their goal, and not it's counter or opposite cardinal virtue, humility. Why not: #MakingBristolHumble? Are BristolSport a bunch of god forsaken heathens and sinners (in flash suits)?

After all, we all know what follows pride - yes, a fall into the conference.  

What happens when Bristol is made proud? What do we do then? How will we know when we are prowed? Will BS tell us? Or is #proud a journey (going forward) more than a destination? 

The most West Country of the seven deadly sins is sloth, and we naturally carry this one off er, effortlessly, with some style, on and off the pitch, here in Bristol. We've had a few players that did sloth (and greed and other sins) too over the years.

When we've ticked #proud off, will we move on to #MakingBristolLust

Pride                                            

Lust                                              

Greed                                           

Gluttony                                       

Sloth                                                            

Envy                                              

Wrath            

Pride is seen as vanity, it is said to be the original and most deadly of the 7 sins, leading straight to damnation/the conference. We used to sing "we're proud of you" a lot in the post 82 days, but it didn't lead to the damnation, it led to promotion at Chester in 1984.  We've also done wrath and envy rather well at times, although wrath can take a lot of energy, which plays havoc with the old sloth. But sloth tends to prevail these days.

As for the virtues, patience is the counter to wrath (anger) and we have done this in spades this season, to be fair, although not so much with Marlon Pack. And now he's buggering off to Villa, the greedy swine, so that'll teach you boo boys (as you face envy). And diligence counters sloth and we trust those responsible for our summer recruitment do their due diligence and leave the sloth to us half asleep and not singing or being arsed in the stands.

#MakingBristolSloth

To counter balance, are we better with the seven virtues?

1. Faith is belief in the right things
  2. Hope is taking a positive future view, that good will prevail.
  3. Charity is concern for, and active helping of, others.
  4. Fortitude is never giving up.
  5. Justice is being fair and equitable with others. 
  6. Prudence is care of and moderation with money.
  7. Temperance is moderation of needed things and abstinence from things which are not needed.

Certainly had a lot of 1,2 and 4, in following City over the years. At times our defence has fully embraced 3, and of course we all like seeing 5 happen when a ref points to the spot.

6 and 7, well, maybe less so!

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

7. Temperance is moderation of needed things and abstinence from things which are not needed.

Certainly had a lot of 1,2 and 4, in following City over the years. At times our defence has fully embraced 3, and of course we all like seeing 5 happen when a ref points to the spot.

are we not doing 7 as a part of the 5 pillars? aiming to mainly sign players in their early 20s leads to a temperance in signing 30+ year old journeymen

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

No.4 I've given up loads of time. It's the sloth that makes me do it.

4 minutes ago, cityexile said:

1. Temperance is moderation of needed things and abstinence from things which are not needed.

We've displayed 7 in abundance at times earlier this season, by abstaining from winning. 

3 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I feel like we have almost covered all of the off season topics in the last week.

Don`t you believe it. I strongly suspect it will get considerably worse before it gets better. I`m looking forward with particular relish to the 127 page thread mentioning every player in creation, none of which we will actually sign.

Also, keep an eye out for the occasional pun or thread using a band`s song titles.:yawn:

13 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I feel like we have almost covered all of the off season topics in the last week.

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Don`t you believe it. I strongly suspect it will get considerably worse before it gets better. I`m looking forward with particular relish to the 127 page thread mentioning every player in creation, none of which we will actually sign.

Also, keep an eye out for the occasional pun or thread using a band`s song titles.:yawn:

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Only 127 pages? You optimist!

Or pessimist depending how you look at it.

45 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

.....& how about the

7 Wonders of Bristol City

.... which are ?

(over to you,..

Who, What & When deserves a place in City's all time... Top Seven Wonders Of BCFC)

It'll be a tough list to compile with so many worthy entrants who will have to be left out.

4. I wonder when we will ever...........

Marcos Senna, former Spain and Villarreal midfielder, speaking ahead of tonight's semi v Liverpool, explained how such a small town club - the second smallest town ever to produce a Champions League semi-finalist - achieved this success: "Hard work and humility."

#MakingVila-RealHumble

On 27/04/2016 at 19:38, cityexile said:

No.2. I'm struggling with that one, presently. I do apologise. I blame:

No.4. I reckon we have given up. At the very least, just accepted it will "go down to the wire." That's not doing everything we could (or did last season) to avoid going "down to the wire."

I can see many fans adhering to No.6 as they consider season ticket renewal.

At least SL is doing No.3 with his little head coach - well done Steve! (Less said about Pembo and No.5 the better).

As for the sins, I does me "wrath" on here, as requested by the majority shareholder. Not at the ground. And I'm drawn to "sloth" now, too. It comes naturally, to a West Countryman like meself.

I must say, I don't feel very "proud." I thought this cometh before a fall? Were we supposed to feel "prowed" with 2014/15 then?

Archived