IGNORED

player ratings for today

cityred exile

ROD 7   AYLING 7  PEARCE 7  WILLIAMS  6 GOLBOURNE 6    REID 8 PACK 8 BRYAN 9  AGARD 6 KODJIA 9 TOMLIN 8         VYNER 6 DOWLING 6  FREEMAN 6            The fact Williams and Agard  only managed 6 due to there lack of game time recently   I felt LJ selected a line up was good with the players available ,   although I do feel that Waggy could have come on  instead of Freezy .  Maybe Litts  is not in LJ s plans,     summing up very encouraging for the future !!

I thought Bobby Reid had his best game in a City shirt today ****il he was subbed).  For 25 minutes we were being outpassed and Reid was constantly showing for the ball and doing things with it.  Marlon and Luke were the only other players playing at above 6 at that point.  But from that moment on we started to click, and I thought Reid was more creative than Tomlin.  I actually think Lee was quietish today bar some amazing moments.

Bobby looks like a man that is confident that he has the boss's backing, and is looking like someone who will be in the 18 every week, if not a starter much more regularly than he has been up until recently.  Well done Bobby.

Thought Williams and Pearce (more so) did decently today.  Del took 15 minutes to get the pace of the game, and looked solid enough.  I think we should sign Pearce....he's our budget-Baker, but Baker ain't coming is he!  Could do a lot worse, experienced, whilst we bring on the likes of Viner.

Left today's game thinking "I wish the season wasn't ending" and didn't think we'd top Wednesday 4-1....but we did.

Beginning to look like we could have the makings of a squad.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Bobby Reid had his best game in a City shirt today ****il he was subbed).  For 25 minutes we were being outpassed and Reid was constantly showing for the ball and doing things with it.  Marlon and Luke were the only other players playing at above 6 at that point.  But from that moment on we started to click, and I thought Reid was more creative than Tomlin.  I actually think Lee was quietish today bar some amazing moments.

Bobby looks like a man that is confident that he has the boss's backing, and is looking like someone who will be in the 18 every week, if not a starter much more regularly than he has been up until recently.  Well done Bobby.

Thought Williams and Pearce (more so) did decently today.  Del took 15 minutes to get the pace of the game, and looked solid enough.  I think we should sign Pearce....he's our budget-Baker, but Baker ain't coming is he!  Could do a lot worse, experienced, whilst we bring on the likes of Viner.

Left today's game thinking "I wish the season wasn't ending" and didn't think we'd top Wednesday 4-1....but we did.

Beginning to look like we could have the makings of a squad.

Spot on I reckon. The first time I saw Pearce I did wonder what the fuss was about and he looked very poor. But yesterday you could see why Derby splashed the cash on him. He was a monster at the back for the first 20 minutes when we were struggling a bit. He's the sort of player who needs pace alongside him but I would sign him on if yesterday shows what he is capable of on a regular basis.

11 hours ago, cityred exile said:

ROD 7   AYLING 7  PEARCE 7  WILLIAMS  6 GOLBOURNE 6    REID 8 PACK 8 BRYAN 9  AGARD 6 KODJIA 9 TOMLIN 8         VYNER 6 DOWLING 6  FREEMAN 6            The fact Williams and Agard  only managed 6 due to there lack of game time recently   I felt LJ selected a line up was good with the players available ,   although I do feel that Waggy could have come on  instead of Freezy .  Maybe Litts  is not in LJ s plans,     summing up very encouraging for the future !!

Ayling 8 for the first half performance. Dowling 7.5. Thought he looked very useful and made the right decisions.  Otherwise about right I reckon

I must admit in the past I have been one of Reids biggest critics, but he has really improved and impressed me last few games. I think a lot obviously comes down to confidence and playing regularly, but I have noticed his positional sense and ball retention is a lot better now since LJ came.

Tactically we have midfielders who are allowed/confident to move freely around the pitch to keep possession or find space, and that has meant we create more chances for Kodjia who seems to be learning the balls Tomlin/Reid are playing. 

Not much different to add.

We struggled for the first twenty minutes and could easily have been two down if Huddersfield had been more clinical. But there is now something about the team that they spend a while working out how to play each opponent and then set about doing it. They will still come a cropper against sides like Brighton and Burnley but those outside the top six, we now seem to be able to cope with.

Williams did ok after he settled. I still don't like Ayling as a defender which right back primarily is. I do wonder if we have now seen the last of Agard, Ayling, Wagstaff, Little and Freeman? IMO they are not going to be first team regulars but can do a job from the subs bench. Also would need to be replaced and replacing all of them plus two/three new quality recruits (in addition to those in next sentence) may be too many changes to squad in one go. Evolution not revolution. 

I'm really hoping that Matthews, Tomlin and Pearce will sign permanently. Baker will go back to Villa.

As for the fact that five Academy boys played is such a good sign for the future. Admittedly by the time Dowling and Vyner came on, the game was won and Huddersfield looked as if they were already on the bus home. But no Academy games in front of a hundred can prepare a young player for 15,000 making a fair amount of noise.

Looking forward to next season. Bring on the Villa et all

11 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Thought Pearce was excellent. Thought Golbourne was better than that too. Agard was the big weak link, and Williams looked very dodgy first 25 mins, but settled. Can't see those two being in Johnson's plans, as well as Little. I thought that was one of, not if the best of Pack's performances this season. Kodjia was just unbelievable. Johnson working on conserving his energy has made him a threat for 90 minutes. He no longer looks knackered like he did under Cotts when he was just running around a lot, with no real thought. Reid's improvement is like no other player I have seen before. I always thought he had the potential, but never imagined him playing to the standards he has in recent weeks. That Derby midfielder, Thorne, who is a big guy, bounced off of him the other week. And today Bobby won some physical battles where he would have fallen to the floor 12 months ago. Bryan is showing that his best position is in the middle, absolutely outstanding second half. And Tomlin, well, they have to do everything possible to get him here next year. I've never seen a player like it down here. That really was an amazing game. I don't believe Huddersfield were not giving it their all, we were just far too good for them.

Agard will be on 'ees bike.all the best to him but not where its at for this level.

1 hour ago, Offside said:

But he did provide good entertainment when he fell over - it didn't eclipse that Bas Savage moment but was still very funny.

That one moment summed up his season.

25 minutes ago, brad blit said:

I must admit in the past I have been one of Reids biggest critics, but he has really improved and impressed me last few games. I think a lot obviously comes down to confidence and playing regularly, but I have noticed his positional sense and ball retention is a lot better now since LJ came.

Tactically we have midfielders who are allowed/confident to move freely around the pitch to keep possession or find space, and that has meant we create more chances for Kodjia who seems to be learning the balls Tomlin/Reid are playing. 

Same. Was of the mindset we should offload this summer at the turn of the year, but no chance now. I think he has been the most improved under LJ and a huge improvement at that. 

34 minutes ago, Youngish said:

Agard showed us once and for all why he should be nowhere near this team. Those calling for him to take Kodjia's place earlier in the season seem to have gone very quiet! 

What about those that said Agard would have also scored Kodjia's goals if he was given the playing time. Amazingly inaccurate analysis.

Pack was great again yesterday. Bossed it. I particularly enjoyed his surging run up the right wing - great strength to hold off the challenges - followed by a good cross. He seems to have more pace and stamina than before. Some great tackles too. 

1 hour ago, Youngish said:

Agard showed us once and for all why he should be nowhere near this team. Those calling for him to take Kodjia's place earlier in the season seem to have gone very quiet! 

Agard has not had a run of matches in the team to get match sharp.

I believe he's good enough for the Championship but has been a bit unlucky with injuries and there are others in front of him now .

1 hour ago, eardun said:

Pack was great again yesterday. Bossed it. I particularly enjoyed his surging run up the right wing - great strength to hold off the challenges - followed by a good cross. He seems to have more pace and stamina than before. Some great tackles too. 

Massively underrated by most on this site. He doesn't do step overs like freeman or beat a player after he has made a tackle like smith, but unlike those 2 he rarely gets caught in possession and can pass long and short, first time or after possession. He is also a great crosser and when the opportunity arises is positive in bringing the ball forward at his feet.  The people who said or still say he is not good enough at this level, don't understand what is required in a team at this level, not just skill, but the ability to thwart the skill of the opposition through tracking and covering. Skilful attacking players such as kodjia and Tomlin need good service and no-one has got the ball to these 2 more this season. 

Most people chose Tomlin's Fulham goal as their champagne moment, but what about his goal in that game. Superb!

11 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

Massively underrated by most on this site. He doesn't do step overs like freeman or beat a player after he has made a tackle like smith, but unlike those 2 he rarely gets caught in possession and can pick out a defence splitting pass. He is also a great crosser and when the opportunity arises is positive in bringing the ball forward at his feet.  The people who said or still say he is not good enough at this level, don't understand what is required in a team at this level, Most people chose Tomlin's Fulham goal as their champagne moment, but what about his goal in that game. Superb!

I thought he was excellent yesterday, his positioning and reading of the game in that opening 25 mins was one of the reasons they didn't get too many clear sights on goal or expose the two bedding-in centre backs. 

One one other thing. Kodjia's heading ability in our own box. Won 3 crucial headers / clearances- meaning we aren't so reliant on Wilbs defending set pieces. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Agard has not had a run of matches in the team to get match sharp.

I believe he's good enough for the Championship but has been a bit unlucky with injuries and there are others in front of him now .

I think Agard has reached his level; a good understudy in the Championship. I wouldn't want him as our regular, but as cover with 10 or so starts I think that's about him. 

2 hours ago, eardun said:

Packs movement was vital for us yesterday. With no one on the right due to Agard playing up top it left us massively exposed when Ayling made a run, but 9 times out of 10 Pack dropped into the right back position. He also dropped into centreback when Pearce made a run up the middle. Having a player who has awareness of where his teammates were is massively important to keeping us a solid unit. Well played, most improved player for me. 

Men vs boys in the first 20 minutes, physically out-muscled and mentally out-thought. We lacked any sort of leadership.  As we approached half time a bit of belief and strength crept into our game. 

Second half bossed things with Tomlin conducting the much-improved performance. Wasn't a massive fan of his before yesterday. However, not only was it a stellar individual display but he was leading the team verbally as well. Baker doing likewise. Kodjia now looks like a 2 million + player, strong and direct and now you have belief he will finish rather than just blast it. Massive credit to the player and coaching staff for turning that situation around.

Special word for The Academy products. Always been a fan of Joe, less so of Bobby. Both looked weak beyond belief in the first 20 but then what must have been some 'Popeye Spinach' cut in and they were awesome. Joe's goal was a real physical battle with defenders twice his size which he won and then had the technique to provide a tremendous finish. Two subs were both bright as well. Freeman - still think he should be persevered with. I like the guy and think it's just a crisis of confidence. Sure he'll recover it again, 

Overall, still a worry that we can go from dire to outstanding in one match but if we keep Tomlin and Baker and add a couple more we should be comfort mid-table to challenging top 6 next season. 

3 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Men vs boys in the first 20 minutes, physically out-muscled and mentally out-thought. We lacked any sort of leadership.  As we approached half time a bit of belief and strength crept into our game. 

Second half bossed things with Tomlin conducting the much-improved performance. Wasn't a massive fan of his before yesterday. However, not only was it a stellar individual display but he was leading the team verbally as well. Baker doing likewise. Kodjia now looks like a 2 million + player, strong and direct and now you have belief he will finish rather than just blast it. Massive credit to the player and coaching staff for turning that situation around.

Special word for The Academy products. Always been a fan of Joe, less so of Bobby. Both looked weak beyond belief in the first 20 but then what must have been some 'Popeye Spinach' cut in and they were awesome. Joe's goal was a real physical battle with defenders twice his size which he won and then had the technique to provide a tremendous finish. Two subs were both bright as well. Freeman - still think he should be persevered with. I like the guy and think it's just a crisis of confidence. Sure he'll recover it again, 

Overall, still a worry that we can go from dire to outstanding in one match but if we keep Tomlin and Baker and add a couple more we should be comfort mid-table to challenging top 6 next season. 

Baker wasn't playing, it was Pearce

Archived