IGNORED

LEE Tomlin believes he is Premier League quality and hankers a "fresh start" with....

hantsred

....."the Cherries" :sad26:

Just in case we were getting carried away that he may just be tempted to stay.....

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/cherries/clubnews/14469172.AFC_Bournemouth__Tomlin_hopes_for_a_fresh_start_with_Cherries/?#comments-anchor

Also the comments on the article by their fans suggest they would be more than happy for him to get back in the squad.

12 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Even if Bournemouth don't want him back I would be amazed if he's here again next season

Way bigger, better and richer clubs will be in for him. Lets enjoy him for another 90 mins and wish him well

Surely with the ground nearing completion and season ticket sales racing along we have at some point to start signing this sort of player. We will never really progress if we always think that quality players will join bigger clubs.

21 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Even if Bournemouth don't want him back I would be amazed if he's here again next season

Way bigger, better and richer clubs will be in for him. Lets enjoy him for another 90 mins and wish him well

Not so sure, think we've got a good chance. We're relatively local, he would start every week, appears to get on well with the team and manager and I think we would pay him what he wants within reason.

I can't think of any lower prem, or top 6 championship clubs that could guarantee him first team football each week, that appears to be a big draw for him.

24 minutes ago, MigratedRobin said:

I hope this is not going to end up like the Matt Smith situation. :grr:

The difference perhaps is that City would clearly like to sign Tomlin permanently, there being no doubt he'd be a huge asset.

Not sure we ever saw much evidence of any real enthusiasm from City to Smith permanently, just as well perhaps given his meagre 2 goal return for this season.

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

There's nothing in that article that we didn't already know.  

Maybe he'll get a season-long loan here?

Very much doubt that, if he has no future they will want to get rid of him.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not so sure, think we've got a good chance. We're relatively local, he would start every week, appears to get on well with the team and manager and I think we would pay him what he wants within reason.

I can't think of any lower prem, or top 6 championship clubs that could guarantee him first team football each week, that appears to be a big draw for him.

Not only that but he's spoken of never having had such support and adulation from any set of fans before.

He knows we love him at Ashton Gate, and will be right behind him, and that feeling of being wanted and appreciated is obviously intrinsic to him being happy and playing to his best.

I think we've got a very good chance if he moves on, unless he gets an exceptional opportunity elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not only that but he's spoken of never having had such support and adulation from any set of fans before.

He knows we love him at Ashton Gate, and will be right behind him, and that feeling of being wanted and appreciated is obviously intrinsic to him being happy and playing to his best.

I think we've got a very good chance if he moves on, unless he gets an exceptional opportunity elsewhere.

Exactly.  Reading between the lines what I saw him saying was "Ideally I want to play in the Premier League and really hope I get a chance to do that at Bournemouth next season.  But if the manager tells me I'm not in his plans and won't be playing regularly, I want to be at a club that give me the chance to prove what I can do".  My guess is that we would be his first choice if he moved on but that we'd have to accept he'd see it as as a stepping stone to a Premier League club in the future and might well want a release clause if a Premier League team came in for him.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep that's right, realistically - out of the relegated sides (Villa then Sunderland/Norwich/Newcastle) I can't see him starting there. Likewise I can't see him as a guaranteed starter at Boro/Burnley/Derby/Brighton/Wednesday etc - it'd be teams like Cardiff, QPR, Forest, (if not under embargo) Fulham, Wolves - more middling championship clubs with reasonable budgets - that will rival us as potential destinations. I think we've got a very good chance.

If he stays at Bournemouth  and they start to struggle (as is very possible) he might wish he had come to us. So he needs to way it all up. Difficult decision for him to make at his age. Regular here or on the bench there ? hmmm maybe not so difficult. Also depending on who they sign between now and next season might put him further down the pecking order.

Surely if his alleged reasons for coming here (ie massive falling out with Eddie Howe for being disruptive) are true then he has very little chance of getting back into Bornmuff's plans? Howe strikes me as running a tight ship when it comes to squad morale and discipline so I can't see him saying to LT 'come and have another go, all is forgiven'. I may very well be wrong of course but can't see it. But there is no doubt that he is good enough for the Prem so whether it's them or another team in the higher echelons of the Championship I suspect that unfortunately he won't be lining up for us come August.   If that's the case I'll always be thankful for having the chance to see him here and for being at 'that game' against Fulham! Top top player. But if we can pull it out of the bag somehow it would be signing of the decade. Fingers very much crossed. 

This is classic brinkmanship from Tomlin/his agent.

Classic line about wanting to be a premier league player. Doesn't sound quite right if a talented player starts with quotes like 'yeah, suppose I'm content with the Championship'. Of course he will be quoted saying 'premier this, premier that'.

He is a professional footballer and will want to command the best wage he can. If it also is the case that he likes it at City and is content in the area etc we are of course in a good position.

We've heard this kind of stuff before and we'll hear plenty more of it. Behind the scenes we'll be working away I'm sure.

6 minutes ago, Malaggro is back said:

Classic line about wanting to be a premier league player. Doesn't sound quite right if a talented player starts with quotes like 'yeah, suppose I'm content with the Championship'. Of course he will be quoted saying 'premier this, premier that'.

He is a professional footballer and will want to command the best wage he can. If it also is the case that he likes it at City and is content in the area etc we are of course in a good position.

We've heard this kind of stuff before and we'll hear plenty more of it. Behind the scenes we'll be working away I'm sure.

Think this a slightly confused post....

As a professional football player, he will be desperate to play at the highest possible level and why would this  be brinkmanship? He believes he should be a regular in a prem team and this isn't arrogance or brinkmanship: it's self belief.

I have no doubt we'll be doing everything possible to sign him but I hardly feel that BCFC could be blamed if they fail and he ends up playing prem football for whoever. The only advantage we have is that he knows he's wanted by club and fans alike but that's about it, I'm afraid.

Mark Aston talked about realistic targets and Lee about players wanting to be at BCFC. I'm not sure if Tomlin is in either category.

1 hour ago, Redandy said:

Surely with the ground nearing completion and season ticket sales racing along we have at some point to start signing this sort of player. We will never really progress if we always think that quality players will join bigger clubs.

Didn't work last year, although I get we're 12 months further down the road. We aren't the massive, Championship club that some seem to think we are. We're still crawling right now, we're some way off a sprint

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't think for one second that we would have a chance, but the comment below sums it up for me.....saying you want to play week in, week out, then getting offered double what we will pay.....that must be tricky to say 'no' to

42 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Someone milking parachute payments will offer him 30k per week and that's us out the running anyway. 

Nail. On. Head

I'd love him to stay, so I'm going to continue being pessimistic, then when he signs it will be a nice surprise for me

Sounds a bit like an olive branch to Eddie Howe there, a "give us one more chance, please." No surprise Lee would prefer another go in the Prem over staying in the Championship. Thing is, Howe already knew what Lee can do with a ball, but now he's also seen, first hand, the other side of Lee when things aren't going his way. Will Howe want to overlook that? 

If Howe is done with Lee, and there's no other Prem interest, then we might be in the queue somewhere for his signature. 

One thing about this summer: if Tomlin doesn't stay at Bournemouth or in the Prem somewhere, and he signs for Derby or Hull or whoever, instead of us - after being here, one (two?) foot in the door already, four months and backed by the fans - then you wonder how we will ever sign any top players in this league.

But then, Bournemouth didn't sign one of the best Championship players last season (I don't think?) They dropped into L1 and got Callum Wilson.

7 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Sounds a bit like an olive branch to Eddie Howe there, a "give us one more chance, please." No surprise Lee would prefer another go in the Prem over staying in the Championship. Thing is, Howe already knew what Lee can do with a ball, but now he's also seen, first hand, the other side of Lee when things aren't going his way. Will Howe want to overlook that? 

If Howe is done with Lee, and there's no other Prem interest, then we might be in the queue somewhere for his autograph. 

Minor edit for you,Jack.

4 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

No probs- it happens to the best of us. 

He had me at kissing  the badge and pumping it ( which is not a euphemism).  

Still hope to see him kissing/pumping the #MakingBristolProud next season!

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

There's nothing like someone with such optimism to cheer us all up is there !!!

1 hour ago, Malaggro is back said:

Absolutely.

He was also playing for Middlesbrough who deemed him surplus in the Championship.

He has the skill of a Prem player, but nowhere near the pace.  Just imo.

3 hours ago, wheatus59 said:

There's nothing like someone with such optimism to cheer us all up is there !!!

******* hell, I don't know if you're being ironic, or not?

You'd only boo LJ for signing the bloke anyway......

Archived