IGNORED

Rugby - benefit us if promoted ?

Bourne End Red

Just wonder if Bristol manage to finally get in the prem next season and get bumper gates for big games etc, will it in anyway benefit us ?

IE can the club use the increase in say food at the ground or ticket money as a way to getting around FFP by boosting our income stream.

Or are we completely seperate and as such will not make any difference to us at all.....?

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Can't believe money from either side would be moved around to the other

Ashton Gate / Bristol Sport would be the beneficiary in all of this

So Steve Lansdown then.

Bristols' promotion may actually be detrimental to City. If Mr Lansdown has a general sports kitty he will need to increase the rugby budget to be competitive otherwise the rugby club will go down without a whimper. That may mean less for City.

No idea of course but he will certainly need to up the spend on the rugby side of things.

My biggest concern will be the likely huge increase in crowds.  That will either force the council into doing something proactive (hahahahaha) or parking will come under even more restriction as the locals get even more vocal about the issue.

The general consensus is that a Bristol promotion is good for both sports. 

Think about it; raises the profile of the city, raises the profile of the city in Europe (through TV & competition), more media coverage, increases gate numbers (potential for crossover), commercially better for the Stadium, commercial opportunities for crossover.

If we are actively seeking players from Europe (especially France) then maybe just maybe the raised profile of the city will counter any question of "Bristol, where is that/never heard of it" from any potential target. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Can't believe money from either side would be moved around to the other

Ashton Gate / Bristol Sport would be the beneficiary in all of this

So what does "BristolSport" do with any surplus dosh? Or, put another way, what is the point of BristolSport?

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

My biggest concern will be the likely huge increase in crowds.  That will either force the council into doing something proactive (hahahahaha) or parking will come under even more restriction as the locals get even more vocal about the issue.

Its the rugger.. of course they will do something but it will only be applicable when they play. I do believe they already have more buses running different routes on matchdays than we do especially coming from the north side which is the most problematic 

15 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

So what does "BristolSport" do with any surplus dosh? Or, put another way, what is the point of BristolSport?

I tried finding this out not long ago but got nowhere with it as i am still trying to work out who gets all the additional income the stadium makes and how it will help us with FFP.

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Bristols' promotion may actually be detrimental to City. If Mr Lansdown has a general sports kitty he will need to increase the rugby budget to be competitive otherwise the rugby club will go down without a whimper. That may mean less for City.

No idea of course but he will certainly need to up the spend on the rugby side of things.

There's a salary cap in premiership rugby, about £5M I think - peanuts compared to the cost of running a football club even one in the championship

It's one of the reasons why taking over the rugby club was an attractive proposition for SL - it's entirely realistic for them to be playing in Europe, ie the highest level of club competition, in no time at all if (IF!) promoted - just look at Exeter - and to do so at a fraction of the cost compared to football (it being entirely unrealistic and massively expensive for City to do likewise)  

• Admin
1 hour ago, Charliesboots said:

The general consensus is that a Bristol promotion is good for both sports. 

Think about it; raises the profile of the city, raises the profile of the city in Europe (through TV & competition), more media coverage, increases gate numbers (potential for crossover), commercially better for the Stadium, commercial opportunities for crossover.

If we are actively seeking players from Europe (especially France) then maybe just maybe the raised profile of the city will counter any question of "Bristol, where is that/never heard of it" from any potential target. 

I'd be concerned if the only reason a 'foreign' player heard of Bristol City was because they has seen Bristol rugby on TV

Commercially - is there any space of anything else? The stands are sponsored, the hoardings are up etc - what is left?

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Yes, but this is "nice" rugby parking, the sort senior council officials might be part of, not that dreadful football parking. Some of their cars are older than a 14 plate. The horror,  the horror...

Surely with all these extra staff at the gate this season their wages are somehow put on the rugby clubs accounts and all the food, drinks, merchandise sold at rugby games etc is stuck on our accounts. Mr Lansdown is a clever guy. Any little loophole, he'll be all over it. When I've paid for Bristol Flyers tickets it's come up on my statement "Payment to Bristol City FC"

And I'd imagine if you walked into the shop at the gate now and bought nothing but Bristol Rugby and Flyers gear it would show up as a payment to us and be added to our accounts for FFP. The FA won't look at the Rugby and Basketball clubs accounts to make sure everything balances out. 

1 minute ago, jambodinho said:

Surely with all these extra staff at the gate this season their wages are somehow put on the rugby clubs accounts and all the food, drinks, merchandise sold at rugby games etc is stuck on our accounts. Mr Lansdown is a clever guy. Any little loophole, he'll be all over it. When I've paid for Bristol Flyers tickets it's come up on my statement "Payment to Bristol City FC"

And I'd imagine if you walked into the shop at the gate now and bought nothing but Bristol Rugby and Flyers gear it would show up as a payment to us and be added to our accounts for FFP. The FA won't look at the Rugby and Basketball clubs accounts to make sure everything balances out. 

the stadium staff would be paid by the ashton gate/bristol sport part of the business so nether club are paying for those people, I'd of thought none of the stadium costs are paid for by city or the rugby boys,

the catering would be splint I would guess between both clubs, but then its just speculation,

Etherway some creative accounting will be involved in order for both clubs to spend and compete with in the respective competition rules 

57 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'd be concerned if the only reason a 'foreign' player heard of Bristol City was because they has seen Bristol rugby on TV

Commercially - is there any space of anything else? The stands are sponsored, the hoardings are up etc - what is left?

I wouldn't be so concerned about it as the nature of professional sport is who pays gets...for that see Wigan in the Premiership.

And Wigan is not the best place to live is it?

My point is more around the raised profile potential we would get as a bounce. 

Commerically it's about the tie ins we can get, example joint sponsorship deals.

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

There's a salary cap in premiership rugby, about £5M I think - peanuts compared to the cost of running a football club even one in the championship

It's one of the reasons why taking over the rugby club was an attractive proposition for SL - it's entirely realistic for them to be playing in Europe, ie the highest level of club competition, in no time at all if (IF!) promoted - just look at Exeter - and to do so at a fraction of the cost compared to football (it being entirely unrealistic and massively expensive for City to do likewise)  

There is indeed a cap but it is being raised as the French clubs have way bigger budgets and a couple of clubs have breached it anyway. You are dead right though that a competitive Prem team would be on relative peanuts compared to their football counterparts even though you need to run a squad of about 35 players. My original point remains though. Mr Lansdown will need to increase the rugby budget substantially so unless he is happy to do that in isolation it may mean less of his dosh for City.

7 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

There is indeed a cap but it is being raised as the French clubs have way bigger budgets and a couple of clubs have breached it anyway. You are dead right though that a competitive Prem team would be on relative peanuts compared to their football counterparts even though you need to run a squad of about 35 players. My original point remains though. Mr Lansdown will need to increase the rugby budget substantially so unless he is happy to do that in isolation it may mean less of his dosh for City.

Bristol are already paying very similar wages to the top Premiership clubs. Already matching wages paid by the likes of Bath and Wasps apparently.

I doubt considerable additional investment will be required for the rugby next season as a lot of it will be offset against the huge increase in revenue from crowds, especially the hospitality which will surely be full every game.

All IF they go up of course!

32 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Bristol are already paying very similar wages to the top Premiership clubs. Already matching wages paid by the likes of Bath and Wasps apparently.

I doubt considerable additional investment will be required for the rugby next season as a lot of it will be offset against the huge increase in revenue from crowds, especially the hospitality which will surely be full every game.

The hospitality prices for rugby seem much higher than ours. They sell packages for a meal in the Sports Bar and a ticket for the game for £100+. I imagine in the top flight especially against Bath and Gloucester it will be even more!

As others have said, Steve L ain't daft and I expect there is scope to move money around if required. 

Reading have tenants - London Irish - and the rugby lot pay Reading FC rent for use of/making a mess of their pitch. Reading then put this money in their pot for spending on football wages and so on. Don't they? 

If the same isn't happening with us, then I'd be amazed. I have always assumed this was the whole point, one of SL's ways of moving us from dependency on him to sustainability.

6 hours ago, Loon plage said:

It's a shame SL doesn't have enough money to bankroll the clubs.

33 minutes ago, Scrumpy said:

It's a shame SL doesn't have enough money to bankroll the clubs.

Exactly. I mean, he only made about 150mill last year. I'll bet Maggie is already being forced to go down Aldi and if she's cold she'll have to put a thicker jumper on 'cos heating isn't free.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If Robinson is spunking as much money on that squad as Bath and Wasps then its a disgrace because Bristol wouldn't get within 40 points of either.They need to spend. You are right though that additional revenue should go help greatly but if they are getting dicked every week the non Bath and Gloucester gates might disappoint.

As I see it, with FFP, Bristol Rugby getting into the Premiership is the only way we will compete with the big football clubs. Therefore, critical the egg-chasers don't cock it up yet again.

Assume that in our future accounts all the non- football income is credited to the Football Club. SL then bankrolls the non football side of things to the tune of 100%. The more money they bring in, the more we can 'legit' spend under FFP. 

So, come on you royal blues! 

The last page of the accounts gives some answers (and raises more questions):

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/documents/accounts-2015213-2910152.pdf

Looks like the rugby club paid £474k rent to  May 2015.

Hospitality seems to be paid over to Bristol Sport, and they pay ticket money to the football company. Not sure why hospitality has to go the other way though?

8 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

Hospitality seems to be paid over to Bristol Sport, and they pay ticket money to the football company. Not sure why hospitality has to go the other way though?

Would the "loss on player trading" represent our transfer fees and agent fees? If so then 72k for a double winning side ain't half bad.

7 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

I've mentioned it before but all SL needs to do is buy a city replica shirt priced at £50M that'll keep the creative accountants busy for a day or two. 

But the rent charge seems an easier route....

Archived