IGNORED

Paragon Snooker Hall

Reigate Red

I was watching the Rack Pack the other night on TV about snooker in the late 70’s & early 80’s and my mind wandered back to my yoof playing snooker in the Paragon Snooker Hall. It was located up a set of stairs above a shop in North Street near Raleigh Road. You walked past a bunch of blokes playing cards into a dark dingy room with about seven snooker tables. Compulsory hanging cloud of cigarette smoke.  A real selection of punters. Always remember one who used to place a battered old suitcase onto your table to offer a selection of “cheap” goods – could have been a spiv from the 40’s.

Anyone else spend their misspent youth there?

40 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

I was watching the Rack Pack the other night on TV about snooker in the late 70’s & early 80’s and my mind wandered back to my yoof playing snooker in the Paragon Snooker Hall. It was located up a set of stairs above a shop in North Street near Raleigh Road. You walked past a bunch of blokes playing cards into a dark dingy room with about seven snooker tables. Compulsory hanging cloud of cigarette smoke.  A real selection of punters. Always remember one who used to place a battered old suitcase onto your table to offer a selection of “cheap” goods – could have been a spiv from the 40’s.

Spent many an hour in there far too many years ago.

The bloke of whom you talk is probably Big Bad Bill Britten allegedly.

8 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Yep - that's the one. I don't recall though ever seeing a glint of daylight in it when it was a snooker hall - it looks so different with the light.

There was still a table in there ten years ago - probably more hassle to get it out again 

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

I think this was based in what was orignally a cinema? I took some photos of it back nearly 10 years ago - it was bought by our ex chairman Scott Davidson and then turned into flats the following year.

Pictures here: http://www.whateversleft.co.uk/leisure/ashton-plaza-cinema

Is the website all your work?

11 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

11 hours ago, Tomarse said:

I think this was based in what was orignally a cinema? I took some photos of it back nearly 10 years ago - it was bought by our ex chairman Scott Davidson and then turned into flats the following year.

Pictures here: http://www.whateversleft.co.uk/leisure/ashton-plaza-cinema

11 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Spent many an hour in there far too many years ago.

The bloke of whom you talk is probably Big Bad Bill Britten allegedly.

Yes I was a regular in the Paragon, first with my dad as a small boy and later with my mates. There were probably 2 good tables in the whole place and as a boy you could get yourself a free game and a bit of profit by getting in early and getting the best table. Then a couple of blokes would usually come in and offer you money to switch to a different table so they could play for cash on that table.:) .

One of the guys that used to do that was Bill whom I came to know later playing pool in the Hen and Chicken, despite his somewhat dubious reputation (I only go by rumours) he was good company. My dad who was a very straight laced civil servant, used to think he was "a gentleman", i never had the heart to tell him some of the stories I heard,. :) Who knows they may have been all exaggerated anyway.

Archived