IGNORED

West Ham sell more than 50k season tickets

Jack Dawe

Cor blimey, guvnor. Would you Adam and Eve it? Biggest number of s.tickets in London. Only Utd and maybe Arsenal better supported next season. The tectonic plates of English football are shifting, ladies and gentlemen. The money and the power in football is, or continues to, shift south and east (despite the valiant efforts of Herr Klopp and the Saudi blokes ploughing absurd, astronomical amounts of money into Man City) . That is some increase on averaging 34k at Upton Park. West Ham are moving up in the world.

Leaving aside arguments of history, identity, "soul" and so on, and as good as the AG redevelopment is, I don't see a 27k AG doing the same for us (or the equivalent for us, what Brighton have done) as a move to AV would potentially have done. We will, or should, be bigger and better, and more competitive, from next season, but not likely to see the kind of sea-change that is underway at WHU or Brighton.

All water under the bridge now, of course. No use going back over it. We have to make the most of what we've got. I know. But seeing those figures for West Ham brought it all up again, what might have been.

AG is dear to us in our 40s, 50s and older but for new or younger fans ......... I'll stop now. Sorry.

If a team gets to the Prem now the main income is the TV money, gates aren't that important (just as well for the likes of Bournemouth). AV would have been better but with the new AG we'll be about the same size as teams like Stoke, West Brom etc so perfectly adequate for Prem if we get there.

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

If a team gets to the Prem now the main income is the TV money, gates aren't that important (just as well for the likes of Bournemouth). AV would have been better but with the new AG we'll be about the same size as teams like Stoke, West Brom etc so perfectly adequate for Prem if we get there.

Gates are that important, which is exactly why Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham are so keen to raise theirs. Liverpool highlighted the disparity of income between themselves and Arsenal since the Emirates was completed. It surprised me.

7 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Gates are that important, which is exactly why Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham are so keen to raise theirs. Liverpool highlighted the disparity of income between themselves and Arsenal since the Emirates was completed. It surprised me.

That was before the latest TV deal which gives clubs a lot more dosh

11 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

If this is so, why the great upheaval and move away from 100 years of history? Why bother?

8 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

The Emirates is an absolute money-making machine. Sure I read they take approx £80 million just in gate receipts over the course of a season.

8 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Make the club attractive to oligarchs and flog it for a princely sum. Simple.

A Jordanian millionaire/multi-millionaire/billionaire* just bought a fouth division club with a poor ground and a worse playing record. Why bother making Prem League clubs "attractive"? They already must be.

*unable to confirm at time of posting

For some clubs the'TV money is everything ' argument may be true, but if you get it right like Arsenal then it's a different case. Acording to articles I've read they made over £100m last year, and that is why the top teams try and squeeze more fans in. WHU pay £2 1/2m a year but the Council pick up a lot of costs from that. If they play it right they could be one of the big hitters in the years to come.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

For some clubs the'TV money is everything ' argument may be true, but if you get it right like Arsenal then it's a different case. Acording to articles I've read they made over £100m last year, and that is why the top teams try and squeeze more fans in. WHU pay £2 1/2m a year but the Council pick up a lot of costs from that. If they play it right they could be one of the big hitters in the years to come.

Has to be remembered that WHU will make nothing from the Stadium outside of matchdays.

I still agree they have a bargain though.

They deliberately priced them incredibly low in an effort to pick up casual London-based football fans.  I think the cheapest was just under £300.  Compare that to this season's cheapest at Arsenal (£1,035), Chelsea (£595), Tottenham (£765), Palace (£500) and 2015/16 for West Ham (£675) and you can see what they've done.  Even Leyton Orient are offering season tickets for over £300.  If you're a casual football fan, an exile who fancies cheap premier league entertainment, or a corporate looking for some good client entertainment, you can see the attraction of a cheap season ticket in a brand new stadium watching a club in the top 6 in the country.

No wonder they've sold out.

50k, blimey! Are the Hammers all expecting their team to replicate Leicester next season?

I hate West Ham with a passion now, they cost me a fair bit of bob being crushed by Swansea on Saturday.

Still shaking my head in disgust.

You can now see why Hearn didn't want the stadium to go ahead.....fair play to west ham making the ST s affordable , but they do have it easy really love to see how much of the tax payers money they used to redevelop the stadium . 

I don't see Lansdowne following suit regarding ST s as if we have a promotion season I could see us  easily getting over 22k and sell outs during the close of the season . Although Maybe if we didnt make the 20k on many occassions next season then he would considering loweting prices. 

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I disagree.  If we reach the Premier League, I believe we could sell 35k tickets most weeks.  If 45k are willing to travel two hours to watch us play Walsall then I don't think that's a bold claim.  Therefore a 27k seater stadium is not adequate, because we will be losing out on potential ticket sales and preventing people who would like to come from coming.  Ashton Vale had further expansion potential, it was a much more future-proof option, and therefore a superior option should Premier League football ever come here.

16 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I disagree.  If we reach the Premier League, I believe we could sell 35k tickets most weeks.  If 45k are willing to travel two hours to watch us play Walsall then I don't think that's a bold claim.  Therefore a 27k seater stadium is not adequate, because we will be losing out on potential ticket sales and preventing people who would like to come from coming.  Ashton Vale had further expansion potential, it was a much more future-proof option, and therefore a superior option should Premier League football ever come here.

Anyone want to  guess what parking will be like then?!

57 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We wouldn't come close to selling 35k "most weeks".

Trips to Wembley are very much an event where friends and family come along, that ordinarily go near the football. A one off outing.

3 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Their season tickets are cheap, cheap, cheap. Not hard to see why there has been a massive uptake. Now... if only another club could take that idea on board... 

I'm sure if we could have persuaded the British taxpayer to gift us a stadium double in size of our present one for the cost of one game a season we could have made our STs as cheap as we liked..

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I'm sure if we could have persuaded the British taxpayer to gift us a stadium double in size of our present one for the cost of one game a season we could have made our STs as cheap as we liked..

Not sure I follow your reasoning there. Are you saying because SL paid for the renovation, the club are right not to have offered cheaper tickets in a bid to fill the stadium?

22 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Their season tickets are cheap, cheap, cheap. Not hard to see why there has been a massive uptake. Now... if only another club could take that idea on board... 

The majority of season tickets were priced between £499 - £899 so not that cheap. Under 16s were £99 though which is a great offer to be fair.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Bloody hell, that's more than we take away!

For their website, may have something to do with so many sold...Good pricing structure 

• Every Season Ticket price band will see a reduction as the Club uses increased broadcast revenue to offer dramatically cheaper tickets to its supporters 

• A new entry-level Band 5 adult Season Ticket will cost just £289 – the cheapest in the Premier League

• All Season Tickets for Under-16s will be cut to just £99 – the equivalent of only £5 per game

• A family of four can buy a Season Ticket for just £776 – the equivalent of £41 per match

56 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

We wouldn't come close to selling 35k "most weeks".

Trips to Wembley are very much an event where friends and family come along, that ordinarily go near the football. A one off outing.

"We" might not. But a lot of people in Bristol will buy a ticket to see Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd and City, Liverpool, Spurs and one or two more play a PL game in Bristol (City or Rovers). Many would probably buy a s.ticket to guarantee seeing the teams listed above (not City or Rovers). Enough to fill 30 to 35,000 seats I would say. Such is the popularity of football right now.

They also opened a dedicated season ticket shop in the Stratford Westfield shopping centre.  Now I don't know how many people popped out for a new pair of jeans and a Nando's and came home with a season ticket for West Ham (imagine explaining that to the wife) but as a way of directly engaging with and targeting the local community I can't think of much better.  That shop is a 5-10 minute walk from the Olympic Stadium and is in one of the busiest shopping centres in the country.  Goldmine.

Archived