IGNORED

Jermaine Defoe

Red Skin

Banging them in and looks like he'll save Sunderland this season.  Made the standby list for the (fake) leaked England squad.  Instinctive finisher.

Always liked him as a player since he first grabbed attention scoring a shedload for Bournemouth whilst on loan from West Ham.  Always been baffled why a big club never snapped him up in same way Man Utd went for Andy Cole in his prime.

Amazing player. Has been scoring goals for Sunderland for a couple years now and they don't exactly score for fun. For me, it's a toss up between Defoe and Carroll to get the call up. Two completely different players but can offer you a good chance of scoring if you're pushing for a goal. Actually I would even consider taking both and leaving Sturridge but he's been in decent form as well. Welbeck may be out though. We will see but Defoe has had an excellent year. 

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Really good striker, just consistently knows where the net is. Don't have the stats to hand but would be amazed if he hasn't got 1 in 2 / 1 in 3 pretty much all the way through his career. 

Absolutely correct.  His wiki profile shows a club career total of 249 goals in 597 apps, so 1 in 2.3.  England he's on 19 in 55 so just under 1 in 3.  Quick scan of the seasons shows 2 or 3 where he was nearer 1 in 4 but generally he's been very consistent.  Top player, good to watch as well.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Jeez can we forget Defoe and Carroll. Rooney, Vardy, Kane and Sturridge will be the strikers.

Why would you forget someone who has scored 18 goals in 33 appearances this season? In a struggling side too.

I fear you're right about the selection but it's about time the England team was picked on merit.

The thing I like most about Defoe is he isn't scared to shoot- He will try his luck from anywhere in the penalty area. Sometimes. rather than try and walk it in like a lot of clubs seem to try nowadays, it's best to have a pop. You've got to buy a ticket to win the raffle etc.

20 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

Why would you forget someone who has scored 18 goals in 33 appearances this season? In a struggling side too.

I fear you're right about the selection but it's about time the England team was picked on merit.

A lot of the players who will make the squad haven't had good seasons, Stones, Jagielka, Cahill, Henderson, Rooney, Wilshere, Barkley, Sterling all been average at best.

1 hour ago, Super said:

A lot of the players who will make the squad haven't had good seasons, Stones, Jagielka, Cahill, Henderson, Rooney, Wilshere, Barkley, Sterling all been average at best.

That's a bit kind to suggest Sterling has been that good

4 hours ago, Super said:

Jeez can we forget Defoe and Carroll. Rooney, Vardy, Kane and Sturridge will be the strikers.

His England future aside, just saying I'm surprised he hasn't been snapped up by one of the big clubs at some time in his career.  Still baffles me.

I'd rather him than the human donkey Carroll.  Who will probably be injured anyway, must be at least 5 days since his last lay-off.

Talking of injuries, remarkable that just as the big Euro games for Liverpool and the Euro championships are coming up, suddenly Sturridge is fit...

4 hours ago, Super said:
4 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I'd rather him than the human donkey Carroll.  Who will probably be injured anyway, must be at least 5 days since his last lay-off.

Talking of injuries, remarkable that just as the big Euro games for Liverpool and the Euro championships are coming up, suddenly Sturridge is fit...

If Roy Roybuilds on the success of Spurs and Leicester in style and personnel I struggle to see Carroll getting much game time.  Other than being a different club in the bag.  

That said, if England go route 1 in the final minutes of a game then Smalling could so a job up there.   He got some crucial goals for Man Utd.  Cahill pretty useful in the other box too 

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spurs are quite big?

Historically and now in the ascendency. But not Man U Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool.  (Before Man City's rise) I.e. Teams playing in the champions league year on year.

The fact that Man U could still nick players like Carrick from Spurs suggests they weren't top drawer IMHO.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It's called a discussion.

I would be tempted to take five strikers including Rooney, on the basis that he can also play a deeper midfield role if necessary.

I probably worded it wrong just meant I don't see the need for them, a lot will depend on whether Welbeck is fit.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

I probably worded it wrong just meant I don't see the need for them, a lot will depend on whether Welbeck is fit.

He won't be.  He plays for Arsenal, the physio's favourite club, I hear they're planning their own on-site hospital to cater for their injured players.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Just as an aside , Sunderland are quoted as paying Defoe , 80,000 pounds a week . :icecream:

four million one hundred and sixty pounds a year.

Absolutely staggering sums of money being thrown at pro's these days.

It is obscene.

And we all know if his goals "keep them up" it'll be worth every penny. A Defoe winner v. Everton tonight in 90+2 to secure safety AND relegate the (ahem) toon army will make his wages seem like a bargain. 

Archived