IGNORED

What's our budget for the summer?

reddogkev

I don't expect anyone to know, but you never know, so will be interesting to find out if anyone on here does actually know.

What's our spending power for the summer of 2016?

Are we going to see any audacious 10 million pound bids financed?

Will we be in for a few cheeky 2 million quid buys?

Are we hunting for players around the 3.5 million quid mark?

Or are we looking to grab a few bargains?  And, slightly off topic, but are we going to make a serious effort to scout Euro 2016, or is this out of our respective league?

If I can be so bold, I'll guess that we'll spend about 7 million.  Hopefully a chunk of that finds its way down to Bournemouth.

I think it will be substantially more than 7m tbh, MA has stated we have been scouting home and abroad and have a list of targets as well as an appetite to do our business early. It may be very much dependant on other clubs and activity in the market that starts the ball rolling but get the impression there is clear intent to get the majority of targets in early. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few go out after which may dictate further signings towards the end of the window also?

100 million.

Seriously though who would have thought we would have been bidding the way we were last summer. With that in mind I'd say there is no limit, providing the right player comes along at the right price, and has the right DNA (Yeah I went there).

Also don't forget that selling clubs will be very aware of what we were offering last year.

The idea of broadcasting a budget would be very foolish. Other clubs and agents already know we have a (genuine,not imaginary) Billionaire owner. As such the asking price for potential targets and agents fees will go up. SL has said many times in the past that when and if the right player(s) come along he would back the manager. He proved last summer by offering  8 or 9 million £ for Gayle and Gray and spending £2 million on JK that he meant it. All we can be assured of is that it will probably dwarf in comparison to what the ex Pub league runners up will be spending. Unless they can sort out a loan to buy players as well as build a new car park at uwe.

26 minutes ago, Taz said:

100 million.

Seriously though who would have thought we would have been bidding the way we were last summer. With that in mind I'd say there is no limit, providing the right player comes along at the right price, and has the right DNA (Yeah I went there).

Also don't forget that selling clubs will be very aware of what we were offering last year.

No limit to our spending this summer, I like your style, Taz.  Just imagine for one brief moment if you will, how our world would feel, if, come the 5th August, we had spent about 35 million quid on new talent.

Yeah, so we'd have a little fine to pay to the football league, big deal!

If Lee wants 8-10 new players and a decent championship player will be over 2 million then its going to be around 20 million plus. Even making allowances for players leaving and any bonus from the likes of Albert sell on clauses its a lot of cash. May not happen in one window though as has been suggested. Nice to be talking in these sorts of figures though. Shows what we have become and where we are aiming for.

I would be amazed if we don't get to at least 15mil, I mean we are talking about 7-10 players needed if reports are correct, yes some will be free others will be around 250k - 500k mark but I would be surprised if we didn't' spend 3-5 mil per person on two signings ( Total of 6-10 mil ) I'm expecting two marquee signings, no not Messi or Ronaldo but what would be considered championship marquee signings.

New stadium, new manager (ish) first summer transfer for said manager =  watch this space =  I expect great things, unlike last summer!

The longer we go without making a signing though the more worried I think we will all start to get - especially given the statements about doing early business. Hopefully that translates to getting the loans to perm moves sorted....

In terms of a budget, wouldn't be surprised if we spent over £10mill in all, Matthews and Tomlin alone will be a combined £5mill you'd think.

I'd be surprised if we hit the £20mill mark though, as we probably couldn't pass FFP, and THB probably don;t have a budget that high. Also, what genuinely top players worth £4mill plus would come to us? I'm hoping for a few Kodjia's and Cabaye's. 

Wow.

Some real football manager replies already. I doubt we'll spend more than £5m in total though clearly that would rise if we sold someone for that sort of sum too.

If you look at some possible likely signings Alex Pearce would be around £200k, Adam Matthews about £500k and Alex Gilbey and Josh Brownhill no more than that latter sum.

Suddenly we'd have spent under £2m and brought in four players, as I'm expecting about six new faces a similar sum then on a striker to what we paid for Kodjia and a £1m or thereabouts for a creative midfielder (I'm not expecting Tomlin to return) and there's your money spent.

Those of you expecting £15-£20m to be spent by us this summer are going to be very disappointed, I think.

22 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

No limit to our spending this summer, I like your style, Taz.  Just imagine for one brief moment if you will, how our world would feel, if, come the 5th August, we had spent about 35 million quid on new talent.

Haha, that's not what I said ;). I think we'll see a few freebies, maybe a few punts, and a couple of bigger transfers.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Wow.

Some real football manager replies already. I doubt we'll spend more than £5m in total though clearly that would rise if we sold someone for that sort of sum too.

If you look at some possible likely signings Alex Pearce would be around £200k, Adam Matthews about £500k and Alex Gilbey and Josh Brownhill no more than that latter sum.

Suddenly we'd have spent under £2m and brought in four players, as I'm expecting about six new faces a similar sum then on a striker to what we paid for Kodjia and a £1m or thereabouts for a creative midfielder (I'm not expecting Tomlin to return) and there's your money spent.

Those of you expecting £15-£20m to be spent by us this summer are going to be very disappointed, I think.

I would agree that we won't spend £15-20mill.

£700k for Pearce and Matthews - if Ashton can do those deals then he really is as good as he claims! Alex Pearce will cost a LOT more than £200k, and Matthews went to Sunderland for £2mill last summer, no way he will be sold for £500k. 

Also, Alex Gilbey won't cost anything as he is out of contract (there may be a tribunal though due to his age).

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Wow.

I'd be very happy with about 7 or 8 million being spend this summer, but wouldn't be surprised if it was nearer your figure.

Can still sign some decent players without going too much higher than £5m, especially if we finally tap into the 'Jamie Vardy' market.

4 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

£700k for Pearce and Matthews - if Ashton can do those deals then he really is as good as he claims! Alex Pearce will cost a LOT more than £200k, and Matthews went to Sunderland for £2mill last summer, no way he will be sold for £500k.

Also, Alex Gilbey won't cost anything as he is out of contract (there may be a tribunal though due to his age).

I was led to believe that a fee of 900k was agreed for Matthews, if we wanted to take up the option of permanent deal, and he wanted to join.

My budget for the summer? About £600 - hopefully enough to get a cheap flight to the Costa Del Sol and a dodgy hotel room with some left over to cover beers, fishbowls, a few Jagerbombs, and a shit tattoo.

Edit - oh crap, you mean the club's summer budget. I feel so stupid.

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Wow.

I may be wrong but I believe we will sign a few "bargains", but we will also make a couple of marquee signings. Again my feeling is that Tomlin will be with us next season, either permanent or season long loan.

22 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Pearce joined Derby on a Bosman last summer and yet hasn't played a single minute of league football for them, so I'd be very surprised if they weren't very keen to get rid. If they win the playoffs he is nowhere near a Prem player, if they stay down he hardly improves their side, does he? Keogh and Shackell are miles ahead of him.

£250k max.

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pearce joined Derby on a Bosman last summer and yet hasn't played a single minute of league football for them, so I'd be very surprised if they weren't very keen to get rid. If they win the playoffs he is nowhere near a Prem player, if they stay down he hardly improves their side, does he? Keogh and Shackell are miles ahead of him.

£250k max.

No chance

Most expensive Championship summer sprees from this season:

Derby £20M

Middlesbrough £12M

Sheff Weds £9M

Plus any extra signings made in the January window and also loans (big agent fees at time).

Some serious money spent.

With that in mind, it's proven to provide a strong finish in the league. So if we end up spending £8M+ on signings then hopes have to be high.

Saying that, it wouldn't surprise me if we spend around £8M this summer, as long as the players want to sign this time round. 

Agent fees are also a biggie. Interesting to match up agent fees to funds spent:

Derby £300k

Middlesbrough £340k

Sheff Weds £264k

We spent MORE on agents fees than the top 3 spending (transfer fee) clubs. Most likely on the Premier League player loan intake - £370k.

Tells its own story.

Bristol City needs to become a club players want to join. Not one that has to pay agents that little more to 'sway' a (alternative) loan deal due to faltered attempts in signing permanent players.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Newcastle spent 85 million , that's 85 million,  last summer , a lot of dosh for a relegation struggle.

Hope we spend intelligently and unearth more ' Kodjia ' like gems .

15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Newcastle spent 85 million , that's 85 million,  last summer , a lot of dosh for a relegation struggle.

Hope we spend intelligently and unearth more ' Kodjia ' like gems .

Perhaps Kodjia can help with the scouting this summer.  There must be a couple of decent French / continental players he can recommend.

Oi, JK, who's the next bloody Rhiyad Mahrez and where can we find him?

On the other point, can't believe Newcastle wasted 85 million, do these clubs actually give a damn about the value of the pound???

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Perhaps Kodjia can help with the scouting this summer.  There must be a couple of decent French / continental players he can recommend.

Oi, JK, who's the next bloody Rhiyad Mahrez and where can we find him?

Arnold Garita.....IKEA  :whistle:

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Wow.

If so the season ticket sales will flounder and we'll never ever see Prem football...

I wonder how much difference to the whole budget having the extra facilities this season has provided so far?

The SS concourse, shop, cafe, Sports Bar etc have all been well used and should double at the very least next year, possibly quadruple with the corporate facilities - boxes, meeting rooms etc - the new West Stand will have to offer.

How will this affect our general turnover in relation to FFP?  

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

£250k max.

Pearce was a solid Championship CB, won promotion to the PL, played over 20 games. He may not be flavour of the month at Derby, but they won't give him away. His market value would be more like £1mill I would assume. I'm sure another club in the Championship would see that as good business and would pay that for a player like him if he were available.

Archived