IGNORED

The Stone Roses

David Brent

3 hours ago, Libertine1 said:

I know there's a few fans on here - anyone else a bit underwhelmed by their latest song? Or is it another classic?

Big fan of the stone roses, this song is sweet but no classic. Does get better with a couple of listens but the most exciting new song is radiohead's burn the witch, can't get enough of that video

It's a good pop song with some great playing and a catchy chorus. 

When I bought the Stone Roses debut album in 1989, a few weeks after its release, it never left my turntable for at least six months. It was the most monumental leap forward in popular music for years and completely changed youth culture, fashion, and even the way we cut our hair, for years to come. I still listen to that record often. 

All For One is a nice tune, but I doubt I'll be buying it, never mind listening to it in 27 years time. 

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 13:09, The dastardly red said:

Big fan of the stone roses, this song is sweet but no classic. Does get better with a couple of listens but the most exciting new song is radiohead's burn the witch, can't get enough of that video

The video is excellent, but a great song BtW is not! All for One is much the better song, riff, melody - it's all there. Not their greatest by a long way, but it's a foot tapper

When Squire and Brown wrote "I wanna be adored" they, like most of us who loved them in 1989/1990, were in their early/mid 20s, thin, smooth skinned, in their prime and with most of their lives ahead of them. You can hear it in that song, in that album.

Now, they, like us, are middle-aged, flabby, overweight, slowing down, with one eye on their pension pots and their best days behind them. And you can hear all this in their latest release. 

Have a nice weekend :facepalm:

5 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

When Squire and Brown wrote "I wanna be adored" they, like most of us who loved them in 1989/1990, were in their early/mid 20s, thin, smooth skinned, in their prime and with most of their lives ahead of them. You can hear it in that song, in that album.

Now, they, like us, are middle-aged, flabby, overweight, slowing down, with one eye on their pension pots and their best days behind them. And you can hear all this in their latest release. 

Have a nice weekend :facepalm:

Even with I Wanna Be Adored, it was obvious that lyrics were never really their thing:

I don't have to sell my soul
He's already in me
I don't need to sell my soul
He's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored
He's already in me
He's already in me

I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Adored

I wanna be adored
You adore me
You adore me
You adore me
I wanna
I wanna
I wanna be adored
I wanna
I wanna
I wanna be adored
I wanna
I wanna
I wanna be adored
I wanna
I wanna
I gotta be adored

I wanna be adored

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Even with I Wanna Be Adored, it was obvious that lyrics were never really their thing:

He's already in me
He's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored
He's already in me
He's already in me

I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Adored

I wanna be adored
You adore me
You adore me
You adore me
I wanna
I wanna
I wanna be adored
I wanna
I wanna
I wanna be adored
I wanna
I wanna
I wanna be adored
I wanna
I wanna
I gotta be adored

I wanna be adored

I actually like the lyrics to I Wanna be Adored, albeit very simple...

Their new song sounds like something from Sesame Street.

3 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

He's already in me
He's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored
He's already in me
He's already in me

I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Adored

I wanna be adored
You adore me
You adore me
You adore me
I wanna
I wanna
I wanna be adored
I wanna
I wanna
I wanna be adored
I wanna
I wanna
I wanna be adored
I wanna
I wanna
I gotta be adored

I wanna be adored

But that bassline, the guitar figure, the groove, the attitude. Manchester in the area, we're international, we're continental.

They wrote some great lyrics, but that wasn't really the point.

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

But that bassline, the guitar figure, the groove, the attitude. Manchester in the area, we're international, we're continental.

Don't get me wrong.  I loved them first time around.  Was lucky enough to live in Manchester from 1986 to 1994.  And their 1st album is likely in my all time top 10.

I think it's alright. Could of gone a lot worse...

comparing it it to their first album shouldn't be done, it was a complete game changer, the best record to come out of this country since its release. Without it, no Oaisis, no Blur, no Libertines and probably even no modern bands such as kasabian. 

I'm looking forward to more releases, there's still some good stuff in them it's just a case of knowing where they should look. 

On 20/05/2016 at 22:52, City Rocker said:

I never really understood that 'we're international, we're continental' line. They were in Blackpool

Archived