IGNORED

Lee Johnson: Barnsley Manager

So Barnsley are all set for the final and a possible return to the Championship.

The question I'd like to be answered is how much influence did Lee have in building this potential promotion winning team. I read their forum when he left which was pretty mixed but did Lee basically put the pieces together?

I hope so but would love to hear your thoughts ( Thatch - you're excluded from this).

I understand that he built the squad and had turned their form around big time before he left (lot of successive defeats followed by lot of successive wins). I heard on the radio today that they were bottom at end Nov. When he left they were in great form and looking likely for play offs. So yes I think he played a big part. 

7 hours ago, Just Red said:

Doubt he will get any credit at all. I remember watching the JPT highlights show and did not hear one mention of him which rather disappointed me.

I'd completely forgotten about this. Lee had just confirmed Barnsley's place in the final when he left to come here.He went to the final as personal guest of the Barnsley owner who he described as a friend and Barnsley won the trophy.

When he left they were 5 points of a play off place but on a great run. I've tried to see which players he brought in but did find this quote:

"In fairness to everybody at the club, myself included, it was a really difficult summer," he added. 

"We signed some really good players and because it was such a turnaround, with a lot of individuals still on Championship wages from the year they came down, it was tough. We worked our socks off, but it quickly became apparent that it was going to take three windows to build the squad that we wanted. 

"In the end, we probably did it in two. We'd brought in about seven players and had injuries to some of our big ones like Conor Hourihane. It was difficult because you can only play five loanees in a matchday squad too.

It appears that Lee likes his"it will take three windows" line! From what I can see, Lee rebuilt the Barnsley squad which may yet do the double and Barnsley get two trips to Wembley.

28 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well- I hope they do make it as the LJ connection won't go entirely unnoticed and that can only be good for his ability to attract decent players.

Interestingly, Mark Ashton had a pretty big hand in getting Oxford into L1 ( and also a JPT finalist) .

Like these 

image.jpeg

Archived