IGNORED

WBA tribute to Hillsborough victims

fanjita

36 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Why does no one do this for Bradford ?

it is strange, i have just walked through bradford city centre and stopped off to show some respect at the memorial. As expected this time of year it was covered in flowers and scarfs but its very understated (5m square). It's clearly respected and remembered in Bradford but in understated way.

I guess the liverpool one is more high profile due to a) Liverpools profile being higher, b) more people died at Hillsborough and c) the Hillsborough tragedy has recently been proven to be a massive establishment stich up.

IMO this is each clubs tragedy and we should let them mark it in whatever way they want. So as long as this was at the request of Liverpool or a Liverpool supporters group then i have no issue with it, if its west Brom looking for some good cheep PR then I personally find it hollow.

I guess it all has something to do about the injustice that has followed the disaster.

All the other disasters were sorted as to regards WHY the disasters happened, Hillsborough had the blame apportioned so wrongly & now the truth has finally come out after far too many years!!

But I agree, those that lost their lives in far too many disasters for just attending a sporting event that we all do regularly & love to do, should never be forgotten!!

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Nice idea but why WBA, and why now?

Might have something to do with West Brom playing Liverpool today 

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

I'm sure something will be done at the Bradford game today also

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

So as long as this was at the request of Liverpool or a Liverpool supporters group then i have no issue with it,

Really? I'd have more of a problem with it had Liverpool requested they do it.

I'd assume it was a gesture put forward by WBA and agreed to by Liverpool.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Correct. Fantastic from West Brom.

I think its good if its what liverpool want, otherwise the cynic in me says they are just after the good PR because ATM it will get talked about following the result of the court case.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Nice idea but why WBA, and why now?

Isn't it pretty obvious why now. West Brom FC ( along with millions of other idiots who should use their own brains rather than media shite) probably fell for the establishment lie for the last 27 years.

Now they feel they need to do something to make up for being duped for so long.

Its a nice touch, but sad that 96 ordinary football fans ( the same as any of us) lost their lives at a football match, and it's taken 27 YEARS for them to get proper tributes.

On another point re Hillsborough, isn't it also about time that the hundreds of Liverpool fans who tried to save lives that day ( mouth to mouth, stretcher bearers etc etc) got some recognition.

3 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Really? I'd have more of a problem with it had Liverpool requested they do it.

I'd assume it was a gesture put forward by WBA and agreed to by Liverpool.

good point - shouldnt have been at the request of liverpool but an offer from west brom and accepted by liverpool.

Which comes back to many of the questions already asked, why west brom?

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Isn't it pretty obvious why now. West Brom FC ( along with millions of other idiots who should use their own brains rather than media shite) probably fell for the establishment lie for the last 27 years.

Now they feel they need to do something to make up for being duped for so long.

Its a nice touch, but sad that 96 ordinary football fans ( the same as any of us) lost their lives at a football match, and it's taken 27 YEARS for them to get proper tributes.

On another point re Hillsborough, isn't it also about time that the hundreds of Liverpool fans who tried to save lives that day ( mouth to mouth, stretcher bearers etc etc) got some recognition.

Story this week of somebody who saw a picture of himself being rescued as a kid and has been trying to track down his rescuer, he is 99% certain he has now found him and he is on holiday in Antigua.

I'm not sure what recognition you're thinking of; they were given credit in the documentary.

At a friend's workplace somebody collapsed and later died, the voluntary works first aiders who thought they were getting £25 a month to stick plasters on spent half an hour doing mouth to mouth and CPR on somebody they knew well until the ambulance got there. Acts of heroism happen unreported every day but are no less heroic for that. 

22 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Story this week of somebody who saw a picture of himself being rescued as a kid and has been trying to track down his rescuer, he is 99% certain he has now found him and he is on holiday in Antigua.

I'm not sure what recognition you're thinking of; they were given credit in the documentary.

At a friend's workplace somebody collapsed and later died, the voluntary works first aiders who thought they were getting £25 a month to stick plasters on spent half an hour doing mouth to mouth and CPR on somebody they knew well until the ambulance got there. Acts of heroism happen unreported every day but are no less heroic for that. 

Yes that's fine and credit to these people.

But they haven't been tarred with "urinating on police officers" and "picking the pockets of the dead" for 27 years. 

These people are heroes, but still people can't recognise this fact.

3 hours ago, fanjita said:

WBA have replaced 96 blue seats in the visiting fans section with red ones. Each of them will remain unoccupied and each will carry a name of one of the Hillsborough victims.

FB_IMG_1463293578409[2].jpg

I think it is a nice gesture by WBA. The 96 serves not just as a memorial to those who died, but also as a tribute to all those who were affected on the day and since. 

14 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes that's fine and credit to these people.

But they haven't been tarred with "urinating on police officers" and "picking the pockets of the dead" for 27 years. 

These people are heroes, but still people can't recognise this fact.

This is conflated with the lie about drunk fans forcing the gate open but is of a different order.

The gate lie was believed by most people for twenty years. I believed it.

Most people however rapidly saw through the robbing / pissing misinformation straight away; there was footage, it didn't happen, and the Sun formally apologised. I would be surprised if even, say, fifteen years ago anybody believed this to be the case.

It's only my opinion but I think that from very soon after it happened the pictures of fans using advertising hoardings for stretchers and pulling people out from the central pen made it clear that they were rescuing the casualties and not robbing them; so they were and have been recognised in the same way as any other members of the public who step up in a crisis.

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I agree with your sentiment.

What makes Hillsborough more noteworthy is the aftermath and unparalleled corruption of both our own police force and elected government.

the families of hillsborough victims have said time and time again that they would have given anything to have had this sorted 27 years ago and not suffer what they had toone after.

7 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Well intentioned but as slarti says what about those that died at Bradford?  Or Burnden Park, or Ibrox for that matter?

They all count; they all had families.  They're just not in the news at the moment.

I agree. However as we discussed, this was such a cover up, from first until last, that a statement is not without merit this time.

44 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I agree. However as we discussed, this was such a cover up, from first until last, that a statement is not without merit this time.

I posted that before it was made clear that it was a one off for this game.

In that light it is a lovely gesture so well done West Brom.

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This is conflated with the lie about drunk fans forcing the gate open but is of a different order.

The gate lie was believed by most people for twenty years. I believed it.

Most people however rapidly saw through the robbing / pissing misinformation straight away; there was footage, it didn't happen, and the Sun formally apologised. I would be surprised if even, say, fifteen years ago anybody believed this to be the case.

It's only my opinion but I think that from very soon after it happened the pictures of fans using advertising hoardings for stretchers and pulling people out from the central pen made it clear that they were rescuing the casualties and not robbing them; so they were and have been recognised in the same way as any other members of the public who step up in a crisis.

I'm sorry but I'm totally confused, why would you believe the "gate lie" for 20 years, when the Taylor report in 1990 CLEARLY stated that the Police ordered the gate to be opened at 2.52 pm.

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I'm sorry but I'm totally confused, why would you believe the "gate lie" for 20 years, when the Taylor report in 1990 CLEARLY stated that the Police ordered the gate to be opened at 2.52 pm.

Probably because I haven't followed it conscientiously for the last twenty years any more than I have followed the sinking of The Herald of Free Enterprise or the Marchioness.

Archived