IGNORED

Should we push for the top six?

reddogkev

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Mid table might be realistic but that isn't what we should aspire too otherwise may as well just go to the pub

Promotion is the ultimate aim, but we need to be realistic. Like it or not, but money tends to get you promoted. Any indication otherwise is an outlier, which is something I hope the board appreciates because the squad is in desperate need of investment.

I can see no reason why we shouldn't be aiming for a top 6 finish, with the correct additions of course & I see no reason why we won't be in a stronger position squad wise than we were at the start of last season.

We are already stronger in the goalkeeper & striker positions & with the right additions of 6 or so players, we'll be strong enough to compete with anyone in the league.

If Matthews & Tomlin both join, that will leave 4 or so other signings, at least 1 centre back, a right sided midfielder / attacker, a central midfielder & a striker.

I would have thought that the likes of Newcastle & Aston Villa will lose a few players that won't want to play in The Championship or that will be too expensive for them to keep & they will also want to bring in players to replace the players that flopped for them & put them in the relegation places anyway.

So they may take time to adjust with so many incomings & outgoings.

I would expect Rotherham to float around the bottom of the league & to be happy with avoiding relegation again & I think Blackburn will struggle as the club seems to be in a bit of a mess!!

Norwich will be strong & looking to head straight back up & I'd expect them to do it.

As for the clubs that gain promotion, Wigan will be aiming high, still getting Premier League parachute payments & have a young & ambitious chairman & manager.

Burton will struggle just because of the size of the club & their budget, much the same as Yeovil did when they made this level & I'd expect whoever makes it up from the playoffs to be happy to avoid relegation back to League 1.

As for the rest of the clubs, I expect them all to be looking at getting at least a playoff place.

Huddersfield with their fairly new German manager will be signing relative unknowns as he'll use the German market to his advantage & that could see them either sink or swim dependant on how well their new players take to the standard!!

Forest & Leeds are both big clubs who will probably have new managers & that brings about new players & I'd expect Wolves to be looking to improve on this season but there's only so many places for the playoffs / promotion & some clubs will look at next season as a failure!!

Ipswich could well be one of those!!

2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

I can see no reason why we shouldn't be aiming for a top 6 finish, with the correct additions of course & I see no reason why we won't be in a stronger position squad wise than we were at the start of last season.

We are already stronger in the goalkeeper & striker positions & with the right additions of 6 or so players, we'll be strong enough to compete with anyone in the league.

If Matthews & Tomlin both join, that will leave 4 or so other signings, at least 1 centre back, a right sided midfielder / attacker, a central midfielder & a striker.

I would have thought that the likes of Newcastle & Aston Villa will lose a few players that won't want to play in The Championship or that will be too expensive for them to keep & they will also want to bring in players to replace the players that flopped for them & put them in the relegation places anyway.

So they may take time to adjust with so many incomings & outgoings.

I would expect Rotherham to float around the bottom of the league & to be happy with avoiding relegation again & I think Blackburn will struggle as the club seems to be in a bit of a mess!!

Norwich will be strong & looking to head straight back up & I'd expect them to do it.

As for the clubs that gain promotion, Wigan will be aiming high, still getting Premier League parachute payments & have a young & ambitious chairman & manager.

Burton will struggle just because of the size of the club & their budget, much the same as Yeovil did when they made this level & I'd expect whoever makes it up from the playoffs to be happy to avoid relegation back to League 1.

As for the rest of the clubs, I expect them all to be looking at getting at least a playoff place.

Huddersfield with their fairly new German manager will be signing relative unknowns as he'll use the German market to his advantage & that could see them either sink or swim dependant on how well their new players take to the standard!!

Forest & Leeds are both big clubs who will probably have new managers & that brings about new players & I'd expect Wolves to be looking to improve on this season but there's only so many places for the playoffs / promotion & some clubs will look at next season as a failure!!

Ipswich could well be one of those!!

I like the fact you've considered all of the clubs, which is something I've been pondering for the last week or so - based on Sheff Wed's success so far.  I would've said Wednesday are similar to the bulk of Championship teams in respect to size / history / stadia and outlay, which has to suggest that most teams are capable of finishing in the top 6.

When you consider the fact we have teams with numerous years of Prem experience, former Premier league champions (granted 21 years ago now), and the likes of former massive European clubs like those you've mentioned - Leeds and Forest, it is safe to say that the Championship is an incredibly tough and impressive division.

Simply because they were promoted with us, I am intrigued to see Preston's transfer business this summer, and how it compares to ours.

It should be a very tight division & will come down to who can win the most head to heads against the similar positioned clubs or should I say who doesn't lose the most head to heads as the draws could make all the difference.

I think it will also come down to who makes the best "unknown quantity" signings, those from abroad that no one is really aware of, like a "Kodjia" type impact signing.

Nothing wrong with ambition and optimism provided it`s tempered with a bit of realism. Solid mid table without having to worry about relegation would represent progress for me but I`m still going to be at AG for the first game dreaming we can be top six - why bother to go otherwise. As long as we`re not saying it`s going to be another long hard season after about five games that`ll do me for starters.

7 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Think we also did the double over Leicrster in their promotion season?

We were in League One when Leicester got promoted to the prem in 2013/14...crazy to think that when we got to the play off final in 2008 The Foxes were relegated out of the championship that season!

Fortunes change so quickly!

Archived