IGNORED

19th May 1977 - THAT Match and an interview with Jimmy Hill

Curr Avon

Last night I watched the wonderful BBC1 tribute; Jimmy Hill: A Man For All Seasons,  and recalled how in 2007 he kindly agreed to an interview for the (old) Bristol City Supporters Trust website, about the extraordinary encounter between his beloved Coventry City and City.

I hope you enjoy it; http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/trust_news/article000320.shtml

Remember this occasion very well, probably one of the best days while supporting city. The only time in those days where both sets of fans were congratulating each other and dancing on the pitch rather than chasing each other ready for a ruck. The local constabulary were totally lost on how to handle the situation, some even lost their helmets. Very debatable on the late kick off, we were at the back of the away end when the announcement was made, looked over the wall, there were only a handful of city supporters at the turnstiles. But all turned out well, probably the only time we could thank "the chin" for anything.

I remember it very well also.

I was sat next to a Coventry fan.

We argued all through the game.....That's a foul!..... no it wasn't!......He's offside!....no where near it!....You need bloody glasses then!!!

Almost came to blows at times.

Then at the final whistle we both turned and hugged each other, then went down onto the pitch to celebrate with everyone else.

It must have been the only game I have ever been to when (in effect) both sides won!

It was unreal.

:hug:

23 minutes ago, Babbacome Dave said:

Remember this occasion very well, probably one of the best days while supporting city. The only time in those days where both sets of fans were congratulating each other and dancing on the pitch rather than chasing each other ready for a ruck. The local constabulary were totally lost on how to handle the situation, some even lost their helmets. Very debatable on the late kick off, we were at the back of the away end when the announcement was made, looked over the wall, there were only a handful of city supporters at the turnstiles. But all turned out well, probably the only time we could thank "the chin" for anything.

Think you may have looked over at the wrong time. We were in those late coaches. I should think there was at least a dozen coaches, so around 500-600 people. 

Never forget the look of horror of the Coventry lot when we arrived in such numbers in their open end having already packed out our half of the home end. They soon scarpered. 

From what I remember, the vast majority on the pitch were from Bristol. 

Best game ever.

55 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Never forget the look of horror of the Coventry lot when we arrived in such numbers in their open end having already packed out our half of the home end. They soon scarpered. 

Not to mention the WHOLE of the stand to your right and loads in that enclosure !

37 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Remember it well, even after all this time. Unbelievable day. What I'd forgotten though was that Tottenham finished below us and went down!

Tottenham and Stoke below us and Sunderland only just above us. How things have changed. City wasted a glorious opportunity to become an established top flight team. It was much easier then. Even so, it was a fantastic night, particularly the last 5 minutes. 

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Not to mention the WHOLE of the stand to your right and loads in that enclosure !

With the exception of Ashton Gate and Wembley, I can't recall being at a City game with so many BCFC fans in attendance.

I was stood in the Open End behind the scoreboard, so when the ground erupted with about 10 minutes left, I simply assumed there was more disorder within the ground somewhere, until word filtered back from the front that Sunderland had lost!

The night and the occasion will stay with me forever,

Bunked off school (I was13 then) to go with my old man, a night that will always live with me, we looked dead and buried at 2-0 but those two great Scottish servants of ours, Gillies and Gow, came up with the goods.

Although I was at the Pompey game I wasn't quite old enough to appreciate what I was watching then, but by the Coventry game I was.

That was a brilliant evening! Living in South Birmingham at the time, I took my wife's 17 year old nephew to what I really did think would be our last game in the First Division.  I'd bought tickets in one of the Coventry stands - I was just off the half way line.  When I watched Central News the next evening there I was! On telly!  Going doolally after each of our goals went in - and me in the middle of all those Sky Blues!! What a great evening!  Didn't get much teaching done the next day. Kept telling my Year 6s that Bristol City were the best team in the land!  And reliving the 2nd half over and over. After that, I really understood what Max Boyce meant when he would say: " I was There!!"

5 hours ago, italian dave said:

Remember it well, even after all this time. Unbelievable day. What I'd forgotten though was that Tottenham finished below us and went down!

We sent them down a few week before.

as for the Coventry game still my best week in being a supporter .

It was an amazing game, full of apprehension driving up and kinda numb from elation driving back. So many cars coaches and mini buses full of City fans.

Then all on the pitch at the end. I don't think, at the time, anyone could really believe what had happened.

Truly a one off!

Archived