IGNORED

Hugely disappointing season - Shearer

Major Isewater

9 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Up here it is believed that Fergie knew he was going to retire and didn't have it in him to rebuild another squad. But he didn't want to leave with Manchester City as Champions. 

So for the first time in his history as a manager he went out and spent big money on a player pushing 30 who had an injury ridden career. The gamble paid off with Robin Van Persie not only staying fit for the entire season but scoring 26 league goals, firing his team to the league title.

Fergie retires in glory and doesn't need to worry about the ageing squad with a mostly injured Van Persie that he leaves behind..

Obviously you living there you have better local media coverage, but I cannot agree with the aging squad comment. To go from champions to 7th in one year was not down to the players being one year older. It was purely down to poor management with moyes setting them out not to lose, as opposed to sir Alex's winning mentality.

Van Persie, vidic, evra and Rio I'll give you. The rest were all of an age where they had many years left in them.

The players they've signed since sir Alex left would not have been signed by him if he were still there.

On 22 May 2016 at 16:53, Major Isewater said:

No not ours but Man Utd's ,according to Alan Shearer .

How i'd hate to have won 'just ' the FA cup and finish fifth in the Prem !

Beggars belief .

Be a lot more relevant if he was talking about his beloved Newcastle Utd. 

A team he himself managed for a short while. And couldn't stop them from going down on that occasion (unless I'm mistaken, haven't researched , just from memory). 

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

Obviously you living there you have better local media coverage, but I cannot agree with the aging squad comment. To go from champions to 7th in one year was not down to the players being one year older. It was purely down to poor management with moyes setting them out not to lose, as opposed to sir Alex's winning mentality.

Van Persie, vidic, evra and Rio I'll give you. The rest were all of an age where they had many years left in them.

The players they've signed since sir Alex left would not have been signed by him if he were still there.

I'm not denying that SAF is obviously a far superior manager to moyes. Or even that the "fear" of Manchester United left with him. But It's just a theory that some of the fans I've met up here hold.

You can add giggs, Scholes and fletcher to that list, even though they were bit part players that makes 7 of your most established and influential squad players who were approaching their twilight years- 3 of which are part of your starting back 4. Even Carrick was 30ish and rooney was already past his best and had finished the season as a sub.

Basically the theory stems from the fact that the ageing players were their best players. The likes of cleverly, Jones, nani,  Anderson etc just werent good enough and were carried by the ageing stars and SAF's brilliance.  But SAF hadn't (for the first time) looked to refresh the squad and had instead purchased a high risk older player for £20+ million. 

13 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

No denying that, but, why do coaches leave towns from all over the country on a Saturday morning to support a team hundreds of miles away. For instance, why don't these same people go and watch Bolton? It's all about the glory is the answer.

And it's entirely misplaced. Who ever thought better of someone because they 'supported' Man U?

Archived