IGNORED

Football League Internet TV (Hypothetical)

sephjnr

This is just me spitballing, so take it for nowt but a discussion point.

I've been subscribing to NFL's and MLB's online TV services very happily for many years now, enjoying live games where possible and seeing archived games when possible. In this country TV providers of many flavours have had the market cornered and are gouging people hundreds of pounds a year to see games that the networks see fit to hype.

My hypothetical antidote to the pillaging of people's wallets? a Football League TV Player allowing people to watch either their own team's away games (cheaper rate) or the entire 72 on a monthly or annual deal, the theory being that IP control would dictate that you cannot see your own team play live inside a 10-mile radius (thus the full game would be available on a 2/3 hour delay) to promote people attending close games in person; the kicker would be that the majority of the subscriptions being shared to the 72 teams and a low percentage to the FL/FA itself and for running costs.

Examples: 8,000 City fans who can't make Newcastle pay £15ea for a one month deal each just to watch City on the road. From the £120k raised BCFC and NUFC get £48k each of a plausible 80% share, £12k to the league and £12k for running that one stream. If half of those fans go for an all-teams £25pm deal the City/Mags share is far lower but every other team in the FL takes in £1.1k each from 4,000 subs. And chances are the other 4,000 might want a pop at something more. This ON TOP of matchday revenue.

The real money to be made from a player like this would be team ex-pats who could never make the Home games, and fans with a second team in the divisions below and above. Look at those 60,000 Sags who come out of the woodwork for the Playoff finals - they got a kick out of this promotion campaign, didn't they? Well, instead of paying Sky £850 a year to hope they get on TV, they can pay the FA £150 (12 months for 10) for 23 games, and to raise £7.2M for their team to raid for decent players. Or they can pay £250 a year to watch some proper football and we'll take the £166k to renew some contracts. Cheers, Rovers fans!

TLDR: a TV player if run correctly by the Football League for itself and its member clubs could cut the nuts off internet piracy, and could swell into a ******* game changer in years to come if six figures of subscribers sign on for the first couple of years.

First questions I have for you are obvious:

* What's an acceptable share of the revenue to support the teams, get more revenue for the league and to run the damn thing to begin with?

* Would you buy it as you won't get to most of City's away / home games?

* Would you buy it just for City, or does the Football League at a click seem more appealing than lining Murdoch's pockets?

* How much would you pay for a one month or one year deal?

* How long before Scummamore has the same idea for the Premier League and can tell Murdoch to **** off?

37 minutes ago, cider11 said:

Would need 3pm games allowed to be broadcast in the uk to change first. Would be OK for midweek games.

I wasn't aware that covered internet streams specifically, but fair point.

34 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

I wasn't aware that covered internet streams specifically, but fair point.

I imagine be the same for streaming as normal broadcast. As otherwise sky, bt or others would've already got a package out where could pay to stream the games legally from them at 3pm.

The thing with NFL, NBA and MLB is that every match they do is covered with local broadcasting stations. That's where the league passes get their feeds. Here in the UK there aren't as many local channels exclusive to a city or town. On top of that many cities have multiple teams and not the two some cities have(NY and Chicago for example) but they have 3 or 4 or in Londons case over 10(in the top 4 tiers). The only thing I can see is if teams are allowed to stream their own games but would all teams in the top 4 tiers have to agree to it? Teams like Fleetwood would struggle to get many viewers especially if they can just stream a higher league match. It would be very nice to watch city away when they are but i don't see it happening anytime soon. Think we'll just have to hope we are being streamed in another country from time to time. 

In the NFL at least, they aren't allowed to show games in the area local to the team unless a certain percentage of match tickets were sold (I forget the actual figure from the top of my head), preventing the TV broadcast from cannibalising match attendances.

Archived