IGNORED

Could the rugger boys embarass us with the first 27,000 attendance at the revamped Ashton Gate?

19 hours ago, cynic said:

I'm expecting the prices in the West Stand to be close to £40 POTD.

Which makes discounting to £10 extremely unlikely.

As SL once said "I'm not paying for someone else to watch football".

His £50m written off over the last decade suggests otherwise!

21 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The rugby club have already produced far more world class international players than City have or are ever likely to. They've also reached the final of their FA Cup equivalent 3 times.  

City cannot win the Champions League but the rugby club can win their equivalent.

So when you say they can never surpass us, I assume you're thinking of attendance figures. Sadly, that isn't the only criteria.

No, I mean because they play an inferior sport so will never have anywhere near the potential for income that we have.

Your not comparing like for like when you compare Bristol Rugby's accomplishments with those of Bristol City.  Take Jenny Jones, Bristolian Bronze Medalist at the Winter Olympics in 2014.  Neither Bristol Rugby nor Bristol City will ever be the third best team in the world their sports, yet I will confidently say Jenny Jones will never surpass either of the two.

16 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Who cares about how Rovers got the Mem.

They had a contract with a clause that allowed them to do so, just like Sainsbury's had a contract that allowed them to walk away from buying the Mem.

And it isn't as if the blue few are anything but completely accepting of this. They haven't moaned, complained or offered to spend their money in different shops. No sir.

For the record, you are condoning theft?

:nono:

Uncle TFR

View from the Dolman. "A substantial portion of the debt has been written off."

Debts have been turned into equity. Mr Lansdown via Pula sport has provided intestest free loans in excess of twenty million pounds, which will be repaid in instalments from 2021.

Could you highlight how a substantial portion of debt has been written off? I would like to think it has been.

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 11:19, Merrick's Marvels said:

The rugby club have already produced far more world class international players than City have or are ever likely to. They've also reached the final of their FA Cup equivalent 3 times.  

City cannot win the Champions League but the rugby club can win their equivalent.

So when you say they can never surpass us, I assume you're thinking of attendance figures. Sadly, that isn't the only criteria.

This is where trying to compare rugby and football just doesn't work.  It is easier to become a "world class" international in rugby because it is a sport played predominantly by the commonwealth nations.  By contrast, football is played by almost every nation on earth - therefore, becoming one of the best in the world is much harder, because the world is effectively bigger.

Likewise you can't compare the Champions League with the European Rugby Champions Cup - a competition in which the entrants are provided by only six nations.

The sooner everyone just accepts they are two different sports and gives up the obsession with comparing them, the better.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This is where trying to compare rugby and football just doesn't work.  It is easier to become a "world class" international in rugby because it is a sport played predominantly by the commonwealth nations.  By contrast, football is played by almost every nation on earth - therefore, becoming one of the best in the world is much harder, because the world is effectively bigger.

Likewise you can't compare the Champions League with the European Rugby Champions Cup - a competition in which the entrants are provided by only six nations.

The sooner everyone just accepts they are two different sports and gives up the obsession with comparing them, the better.

Fair point but you're splitting hairs over the use of one word - replace "world" with "top" and the point still stands - the history of Bristol's rugby club is already far more successful than either of its football clubs and so JM's point depends on how he was defining "surpass" - a point he has now clarified.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Since when did comparing rugby and football join our other, official, undeniable, unequivocal Otib  "obsession" (def: an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind; a persistent, disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea, feeling, or small football club; often accompanied by symptoms of anxiety) with those L1 tossers up Horfield?

Is a thread with 100 posts (not all of which compare rugby to football) now deemed worthy of the status of an "obsession"? 

What is the obsession with labelling other people's views obsessive?

"The sooner everyone just accepts" that I am right and listens to me, "the better."

47 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Since when did comparing rugby and football join our other, official, undeniable, unequivocal Otib  "obsession" (def: an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind; a persistent, disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea, feeling, or small football club; often accompanied by symptoms of anxiety) with those L1 tossers up Horfield?

Is a thread with 100 posts (not all of which compare rugby to football) now deemed worthy of the status of an "obsession"? 

"The sooner everyone just accepts" that I am right and listens to me, "the better."

Was the rant really necessary? What a strangely disproportionate response to my post.

Not claiming to be right or superior about anything and I don't appreciate the accusation. Comparing the relative success of the two clubs is not unique to this thread, it's been a recurring theme on the forum for almost as long as Bristol have played at Ashton Gate. Hence I was talking about a broad, collective "obsession" on the forum, rather than any one individual's view. I very much doubt if anyone has a personal obsession with the issue; that would be odd.

It is simply my view that such comparisons don't work very well, given the differences between the two sports that I have already highlighted.

6 hours ago, JM91 said:

No, I mean because they play an inferior sport so will never have anywhere near the potential for income that we have.

Your not comparing like for like when you compare Bristol Rugby's accomplishments with those of Bristol City.  Take Jenny Jones, Bristolian Bronze Medalist at the Winter Olympics in 2014.  Neither Bristol Rugby nor Bristol City will ever be the third best team in the world their sports, yet I will confidently say Jenny Jones will never surpass either of the two.

Potential... you are right about potential but I have seen very little in all my years of following City to realistically expect our club to sit at the top tier of English and European football. On the other hand if SL recruits the right coaches there is every chance that the rugby club can effectively be the biggest club in the northern hemisphere. Whilst you correctly say that the profile of football is higher than that of rugby the profile of a club like Stade Francais Toulon Leinster or dare I say it Saracens is way higher than that of Bristol City. Bristol has been a giant of the English game whereas City has never actually acheived anything much (so far)

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Potential... you are right about potential but I have seen very little in all my years of following City to realistically expect our club to sit at the top tier of English and European football. On the other hand if SL recruits the right coaches there is every chance that the rugby club can effectively be the biggest club in the northern hemisphere. Whilst you correctly say that the profile of football is higher than that of rugby the profile of a club like Stade Francais Toulon Leinster or dare I say it Saracens is way higher than that of Bristol City. Bristol has been a giant of the English game whereas City has never actually acheived anything much (so far)

I would say it is more realistic for City to become an established Premier League team, or even a yo-yo team, than it is for Bristol Rugby to be an elite Northern Hemisphere Rugby side (Although Northern Hemisphere is a generous term because it is effectively Europe). And in the unlikely event that both happen, the rewards for Bristol Sport would be higher if City were to achieve regular top flight football.  

Likewise, despite the relative success of Bath & Gloucester Rugby or Somerset & Gloucester Cricket, I would certainly say Bristol City are the biggest and highest profile club in the South West.  

14 minutes ago, JM91 said:

I would say it is more realistic for City to become an established Premier League team, or even a yo-yo team, than it is for Bristol Rugby to be an elite Northern Hemisphere Rugby side (Although Northern Hemisphere is a generous term because it is effectively Europe). And in the unlikely event that both happen, the rewards for Bristol Sport would be higher if City were to achieve regular top flight football.  

Likewise, despite the relative success of Bath & Gloucester Rugby or Somerset & Gloucester Cricket, I would certainly say Bristol City are the biggest and highest profile club in the South West.  

I cannot see how Bristol City can gain promotion without doing a brilliant impersonation of Bournemouth. Bristol can impersonate Saracens for a fraction of the cost.Whilst a rugby squad is twice the size the wages for a top class rugby international (apart from the likes of Dan Carter etc) dont even compare to City's average squad member. Even with the loophole of not counting academy players or two "exclusions" the salary cap of £6.5m means it unlikely that Bristol would be paying more than say £8m per year on players wages. I shudder to think what our wage bill would be to be genuinely competitive in the championship but a squad of say 25 earning an average of (only) £10k per week is £13m.

3 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Was the rant really necessary? 

That (top)'s not a rant, mate....

21 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Can we - ie City fans, on a City forum - not make up lies, half-truths, b0ll0cks, full on delusions, the lot, on our own bloody forum, without a Few coming on here correcting us at every f&#*ing turn? The ones on this thread now, they seem to be self-appointed moderators on here, prissly going about wagging their (many) Few fingers at every perceived untruth and slight to their "good" name. If not here, where can we go to chat lies, half-truths and delusions among ourselves without a couple of Few tossers following us going (screws up face, adopts whiny voice) "you can't say that, that's not true, how dare you..."?

There's enough of them on the dreary, tiresome thread named after them. What next? Blue Fewers in the Robins, the 3 Lions, outside El Rincon, on a Saturday next season, eavesdropping on every conversation, moderating any sh1te spoken about their precious club, tapping miscreants on the shoulder and hissing (face/whiny voice): you can't say that, not true?

You've got you're own bloody thread, Fewers, isn't that enough for you? Can you just leave us alone now on the rest of this place? I'm not and never am on your forum, how about you p1ss off back to yours (where you can say what you like about us, I do not care) or at least hover on the thread dedicated to you so you can be sure we are still obsessed with you and will never forget you, and leave the rest of us alone, so we can do what we always used to do before the internet ie talk sh1te about you tw4ts when we fancy (amongst other topics of conversation, occasionally) without you ever knowing about it and sticking your sensitive Few Blue noses into our business? Ffs!

If any Villa or Newcastle fans want to come on and tick us off though: please, you're more than welcome...

...that's a rant.

going back to the special offer thingy, I remember a few years ago, I took advantage for Crewe game, They did the advance purchase of £10 for adults with kids under 14? in free.I took my partners grandchild and a friend , 6/7 years old. Maybe look at doing £15/£20 with up to 2 kids in free, they are the future supporters and seeing the new AG might swing a few inbetweeners towards the red 3/4 of Bristol. Games like Rotherham and Burton are surely primed ready for deals like this, encourage the youth to see sense!!!

11 minutes ago, grubby said:

going back to the special offer thingy, I remember a few years ago, I took advantage for Crewe game, They did the advance purchase of £10 for adults with kids under 14? in free.I took my partners grandchild and a friend , 6/7 years old. Maybe look at doing £15/£20 with up to 2 kids in free, they are the future supporters and seeing the new AG might swing a few inbetweeners towards the red 3/4 of Bristol. Games like Rotherham and Burton are surely primed ready for deals like this, encourage the youth to see sense!!!

Watching Rotherham's play acting may put the kids off for ever?

On 5/31/2016 at 15:29, ChippenhamRed said:

Was the rant really necessary? What a strangely disproportionate response to my post.

Not claiming to be right or superior about anything and I don't appreciate the accusation. Comparing the relative success of the two clubs is not unique to this thread, it's been a recurring theme on the forum for almost as long as Bristol have played at Ashton Gate. Hence I was talking about a broad, collective "obsession" on the forum, rather than any one individual's view. I very much doubt if anyone has a personal obsession with the issue; that would be odd.

It is simply my view that such comparisons don't work very well, given the differences between the two sports that I have already highlighted.

This is OTIB. Ranting is compulsory.

Read-read the T&C's.

:yawn:

Uncle TFR

Archived