IGNORED

Cricket Question

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

I was asked a question by Mrs Maesknoll that I really couldn't answer, so if you know, please enlighten me.

If a batsman is ambidextrous, can he alter his face up, from RH to LH or vice versa during the over, if so, does he have to let the fielding side know so they can alter the field.  I appreciate that the reverse sweep is a change of grip, but it's not a face up change, so I would imagine that is a different circumstance.

I thought they made it "illegal" not long after KP started doing it so regularly because it gave the batsman an unfair advantage so they made it that you had to announce you were changing?

Much the same as a bowler has to divulge what arm he is bowling & if he's coming round or over the wicket.........

And this recently come into play even more due to some lad in the recent U19's or U17's World Cup being able to bowl both left & right handed.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

I thought they made it "illegal" not long after KP started doing it so regularly because it gave the batsman an unfair advantage so they made it that you had to announce you were changing?

Reverse sweep is a shot still regularly played - even attempted by batsman in the recent England Vs Sri Lanka test match

I done it in a game many years ago, I was taught to bat by a left hander, although I'm right handed. Was having a shocker, so I thought I'd swap to left as I always had a bat in the nets pre season that way to keep it fresh. Couldn't hit it very far, but was far more defensive and correct that way round!

Can't remember mentioning it to anyone on the opposing team if I'm honest, and can't recall any particular out cry. As I was a bowler maybe we were on the verge of a crushing defeat and no one cared! As I said, a long time ago, and village cricket (albeit a league game) so a little different to someone higher up the chain doing it

• Admin
27 minutes ago, phantom said:

Reverse sweep is a shot still regularly played - even attempted by batsman in the recent England Vs Sri Lanka test match

I'm not questioning the reverse sweep, but actually changing between RH and LH facing up between balls in an over.  If only I hadn't removed Mrs Maesknoll's domestic ball and chain, she'd never have got into cricket and started asking awkward questions.... :facepalm:

The batsman at liberty room change stances during the over but must inform the umpires. This then defines Off and Leg sides for that delivery, regardless of whether the batsman chooses to play a reverse shot.

Sorry. Productive test buggering me up and OTIB won't let me edit it. Let's try again:

The batsman is at liberty to change stances during the over but must inform the umpires. This then defines Off and Leg sides for that delivery, regardless of whether the batsman chooses to play a reverse shot.

Archived