IGNORED

Summer Music Festivals - Ratings

RedRock

Ratings for Powderham:-

Best Song:- Pompeii, Bastille

Best Group:- Mumford and Son just edged Coldplay, both lead singers with Exeter connections!

Best Guest:- Paloma Faith

Best Female:- Ellie Goulding

Venue:- Superb (both nights, from car door to house door  - 10 miles - in 20 minutes) although, for the ladies, the queues for the bogs were horrendous. 

Best £17 ever spent. 

@Moor2SeaCouldn't get tickets for the Radio one big weekend at Exeter but seen Ellie Goulding and Paloma Faith at Glastonbury last year and the year before, both very good.

A few new venues this summer for me, Rudimental at Westonburt in a couple of weeks, Coldplay at Wembley. (Then Glastonbury) after that it's Rudimental and others at Plymouth and booked to see Kaiser Chiefs at Cardiff cricket ground last night, not been there before either.

edit; I watched a lot of the coverage on tv, except Colplay (didn't want spoilers!)

6 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Nothing planned for me until Shiiine at Minehead in November, then on the way back home from that seeing Peter Hook & The Light in Ft Lauderdale, and, hopefully, Pet Shop Boys in Miami Beach

I wonder if there has ever been a gayer gig than Pet Shop Boys in Miami Beach?

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

No but I`ve got a couple for Frankie Goes To Hollywood doing their open air Divine tribute show in Canal Street, Manchester.

Not bad, however you will be missing Erasure performing Eurovision hits at the Queen Shilling.

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Not bad, however you will be missing Erasure performing Eurovision hits at the Queen Shilling.

With a guest appearance from Jimmy Somerville, where they duet to Don't You Know It Hurts So Good?

Seriously though, really can't wait for LCD Soundsystem and Beck at Glastonbury this year.

2 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

With a guest appearance from Jimmy Somerville, where they duet to Don't You Know It Hurts So Good?

Seriously though, really can't wait for LCD Soundsystem and Beck at Glastonbury this year.

Ah reminds me I have to google Beck, as I've never heard of them. Aren't they between Ellie G and Coldplay at Glasto? not sure I dare look really, they sound heavy, and apart from jazz that's music I just can't get into.

22 minutes ago, RedM said:

Ah reminds me I have to google Beck, as I've never heard of them. Aren't they between Ellie G and Coldplay at Glasto? not sure I dare look really, they sound heavy, and apart from jazz that's music I just can't get into.

Beck is just one guy and he's been around for years.

Give his albums Odelay and Midnite Vultures a spin. Bit of a mix of hip-hop, folk and rock. Tbh, you cant really pigeon-hole him to any sort of genre as his albums have different styles.

Far more talented than the likes of Coldplay etc.

Also, Loser is a classic tune which you've probably heard before. 

As there's a Bowie theme to this years festival you really should Google "Beck reimagines sound and vision". Maybe the greatest thing on YouTube. 

Edit: Just watched that again and I have to say, a 130 piece orchestra sounds amazing. Done to a Bowie tune is simply unforgettable.

6 hours ago, RedM said:

Saw him support The Verve, he was very good.  Get on it.

On 01/06/2016 at 20:28, Moor2Sea said:

Didn't see that band 'though was a bit of a buzz about them.

I fear now of an age when Mumford and Son are quite fresh and new. Bring back the Sex Pistols!

Mumford and son, The Pogues for people who shop at Waitrose

3 hours ago, southside said:

Mumford and son, The Pogues for people who shop at Waitrose

Funny that. I like The Pogues and shop at Waitrose! 

Also think the Sex Pistols and The Carpenters are good as well. So, I assume, that allows me occasional visits to Aldi and M&S. 

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Funny that. I like The Pogues and shop at Waitrose! 

Also think the Sex Pistols and The Carpenters are good as well. So, I assume, that allows me occasional visits to Aldi and M&S. 

No no no! Liking Elton John allows you into M&S, The Carpenters only get you as far as Morrisons but you are allowed to have an account at the Edinburgh Woollen Mill..

Going to try and get a ticket for radio 2 festival in a day. 

Elton John, Madness, Gregory Porter (one of my favourites), Jamie Lawson and Travis all announced so far. 

Went a few years back when it was Tom Jones, Status Quo etc and was a great day. Going to pass on proms in the park this year though, normally makes a good weekend combined. 

I was in Looe this morning and the posters were up for the festival in September. Pretty damn good this year, Friday - Wilko Johnson, Saturday - Bryan Ferry and Sunday - Fun Lovin` Criminals. Add in King Kurt and the Neville Staples Band it looks a cracker so might give it a go this year.

Suppose I better wait till the fixtures come out before booking though - what price Newcastle at home on Saturday 24th if I don`t!

Archived