IGNORED

Owen Coyle new manager of Blackburn

Rudolf Hucker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36433615

Championship side Blackburn Rovers have appointed Owen Coyle as their new manager on a two-year deal.

The 49-year-old Scot left his role with Major League Soccer side Houston Dynamo last Thursday.

The ex-Burnley and Bolton boss, whose last managerial job in England was at Wigan in 2013, replaces Paul Lambert, who left Rovers after just six months.

"First and foremost I'm absolutely thrilled and honoured to be Blackburn manager," he told the club website.

"I look forward to working with terrific people at the club. The ultimate aim is to give a team that is representative of the fans, a team that is entertaining and hard working and a team that can win."

Assistant manager Alan Irvine and first-team coach Rob Kelly, who worked under Lambert, keep their roles at Ewood Park.

Coyle 'meets the criteria'

Recent Blackburn managers

2008 - Paul Ince2013 - Michael Appleton

2008-10 - Sam Allardyce2013-15 - Gary Bowyer

2010-12 - Steve Kean2015-16 - Paul Lambert

2012 - Henning Berg2016 - Owen Coyle

During his time in the United States, Coyle's Houston side failed to reach the play-offs last year and sat bottom of the Western Conference when he left.

Coyle, capped once by the Republic of Ireland, helped Burnley to the Premier League seven years ago before switching to Bolton.

He guided Wanderers to 14th and an FA Cup semi-final but was sacked five months after they were relegated in 2011-12, and then lasted less than six months at Wigan.

"We took our time and conducted a thorough search and Owen was the standout candidate," said Blackburn director Mike Cheston.

"He brings with him a wealth of management experience, a strong track record in the Championship and we believe he will complement our existing coaching staff perfectly.

"He meets all of the criteria we were looking for and we firmly believe he is the right man to take this club forward."

Financial constraints?

Balaji Rao (left) and Venkatesh Rao led the purchase of Blackburn in 2010

Blackburn finished 15th in the Championship last season, with Lambert and recently appointed Blackpool boss Gary Bowyer leading the team during the campaign.

In December, the Lancashire side came out of a transfer embargo imposed for breaking Financial Fair Play rules, but in March the club's latest financial results revealed debts of £104.2m.

The club's owner, Venky's, run by the India-based Rao family, bought Rovers in 2010 but has seen club debts rise after relegation from the Premier League in 2012.

However, last month Venky's said it was committed to supporting Blackburn despite an offer of investment from local businessmen Ian Battersby and Ian Currie.

Awful appointment.

Shocking record since he left Burnley, I'm amazed he's got another job, his record in the US was poor, too.

The fact he's kept the back room staff already there says "cheap option".

23 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He took Burnley into the premier league in his first season as a boss in England. With the same set of players that Cotts took to 15th and 17th.

So he's got something.

You don't see many managers in charge at both Burnley and Blackburn though - that rivalry is under-rated...

Very true about the rivalry. I lived just outside of Burnley for several years and the rival fans absolutely hate each other! An acquaintance of mine who's a Burnley fan, only ever refers to Blackburn Rovers as "the bastards". For him, promotion this season was always only secondary to getting 6 points off of them.

Archived