IGNORED

Blatter and 55 million quid.....

Maesknoll Red

33 minutes ago, cynic said:

Like Tony Benn said, the true test of democracy is not so much being able to vote people in, its if you can actually get rid of them if necessary.

Which is where we are with the "European Union" I suppose...faceless unelected bureaucrats making laws for our country that no one can contest.

Agree 100% although I do believe we will remain in the EU. The general population overall couldn't give a monkeys about important issues like sovereignty. We will remain because people will be too worried that their holiday to Spain getting more expensive. I hope I'm wrong!

Well, may or may not be true, but i heard that with massive tournaments like the World Cup, there are huge contracts up for grabs when it comes to building stadia and the infrastructure to support them. The cut on match tickets is just chicken feed. Sponsorship is of course a massive player.

Why didn't England get it? We already have a road & rail network in place and several stadiums that could already host games. We'd be doing it 'on the cheap'. And that, is not attractive to them.

Why were two World Cup 'tenders' put up in the same year? It would be double $'s in the bank before they retired, we're fired, arrested or quit.'

Should Blatter and co find themselves in court, and if convicted even if it's for a minor traffic offence, I would be keen on the sentance being served in a british jail. Ordinarily foreign crimes should be served abroad. But should this lot be charged and convicted, I would like to make an exception. 

7 hours ago, Taz said:

Should it really come as a surprise? Bloke has obviously been corrupt for years. The surprise is that he got away with it for so long when it was blindingly obvious.

He was effectively bulletproof just like a lot of the people who are now getting found out for doing things when they were famous and untouchable.

TBH, I don't care if he's not jailed. To put this into context, give me a couple of million and I'd do time at the expense of the state.

What does have to happen is the money gotten illegally has to be taken back (he should not profit from his ill gotten gains) and then some of his own money taken as well (through fines etc.). You want to hurt people like Blatter, send out a message to them indicating that it will cost them personally.

The corruption at FIFA has been well documented.  Every football fan should read the excellent account of the bidding process for the two next world cup games written by two Sunday Times journalists and, also, the brilliant expose of FIFA by Andrew Jennings.  The whole organisation is riddled with stealing on a grand scale and the amounts plundered are truly mind boggling.  It is not just at FIFA headquarters that the crooks are at work.  There was/is a network of like-minded individuals across the globe - Jack Warner and Chuck Blazer are but two of a number of names one would not want to invite to dinner.  Thankfully the English FA come out of this sordid business smelling of roses.  Sadly the smell coming from Qatar and Moscow is not a sweet smell.  Surprise, surprise!
On a lighter note - the fat slob Chuck Blazer who resides in Trump Tower divorced his wife.  She took custody of the pet parrot but after six months returned it to Mr. Blazer.  In the meantime she had taught the bird numerous insults so fatso was constantly regaled with "you dope", "you fat loser" etc. etc.

On 03/06/2016 at 20:53, cynic said:

Like Tony Benn said, the true test of democracy is not so much being able to vote people in, its if you can actually get rid of them if necessary.

Get back to me when the last Westminster MP who claimed expenses he/she had no right to is pushing up daisies ...

Archived