IGNORED

EU poll

The Humble Realist

EU poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Remain.

There don't appear to be any decent arguments for leaving and there is zero information on what will happen if we do leave.

There doesn't seem to be any decent arguments to remain either... just a whole load of spin, lies and aggression from its Campaign leaders and spokespeople. Their campaign has been a total disaster where a month ago it seemed remain would win comfortably, now its very tight and in some quarters its now Brexit who leads

I for one won't buy into it and whether you vote remain or leave that its down to the choice of the individual rather being scared, pushed or influenced by the exaggerations from both sides.

21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Interesting to see how this OTIB EU poll compares with this one:

Last commented on in March.

I see Red-Robbo put himself down as an 'unsure'!

Any others amongst the previously undecided made their minds up?

Yep.

Unsure to Remain.

32 minutes ago, screech said:

I honestly think now that we are going to be leaving, the Labour vote is going tits up.

I honestly think that if we were to stay 'in', then Nigel Farage will be the next Prime minister.

Lets face it, 90% of people who want to leave would then vote for his party in the next general election. Scary thought.

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I honestly think that if we were to stay 'in', then Nigel Farage will be the next Prime minister.

Lets face it, 90% of people who want to leave would then vote for his party in the next general election. Scary thought.

Interesting suggestion that, Bill.

Not considered that outcome, but it is plausible.

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Lets face it, 90% of people who want to leave would vote for his party in the next general election. Scary thought.

Not a chance Bill,  UKIP have one elected MP and that's not him. I could see Gove as PM, he's not a marmite figure like Johnson is.

The traditional heartlands of Labour I think will be voting to leave, factor this with a lot of Tory vote and I honestly think now it will be going Brexit way. Cameron has himself to blame for this, people are fed up, and I think they are ready to prove it.

4 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

But we know what will happen if we choose remain. Things stay as they are. There's no need for Remain to set out that vision, we know what it is.

Leave on the other hand are asking people to vote out for what exactly? And it's important to know so people can decide, there will be a vast difference between being Leave meaning we would be fully independent of all European treaties and organisations and Leave meaning we remain members of the EEA.

The problem with that BS2 is that nothing could be further from the truth. The EU is on a knife-edge, people throughout Europe are looking to see how we will vote. The EU will have to change if it is to survive, it cannot continue in its present form no matter how much the 'Remainers' would like it to.

47 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Not with this current system.

18 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Interesting to see how this OTIB EU poll compares with this one:

Last commented on in March.

I see Red-Robbo put himself down as an 'unsure'!

Any others amongst the previously undecided made their minds up?

Yep, as I explained in the other thread the weakness of the UK economy was the deciding feature.

The last thing we need now is a period of uncertainty,  because recession,  business failures and mass job losses will follow.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yep, as I explained in the other thread the weakness of the UK economy was the deciding feature.

The last thing we need now is a period of uncertainty,  because recession,  business failures and mass job losses will follow.

So if you lived in Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal etc. and had the chance to vote in a referendum you'd be even more convinced to stay in.

22 minutes ago, marshy said:

So if you lived in Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal etc. and had the chance to vote in a referendum you'd be even more convinced to stay in.

Dunno. One of the features of the Greek crisis was that in every consultation the people of Greece were overwhelmingly in favour of staying in the EU and largely in favour of stating in the eurozone. 

Dunno. One of the features of the Greek crisis was that in every consultation the people of Greece were overwhelmingly in favour of staying in the EU and largely in favour of stating in the eurozone. 

Somewhat ingenuous Red, n'est-ce pas?

If I recall correctly, and I am pretty sure I do, the (educated/intelligent) Greeks were acknowledging that they had a good thing going (the Greek accounts upon entry to the EU were, of course, sound ;) and had been verified as being so by the EU leaders and their US accountants {can you believe that?}) so why would they not be in favour (clamour even) to stay in the EU when their real (at risk) wealth had already left Greece (and the EU) and been invested largely in UK property, thus increasing/inflating the price you pay for your own UK property - exacerbated, of course, by the exodus of the somewhat dodgy Russian money, which had also been tied up in Greece and Cyprus.

In the meantime, please (says Greece) don't cut us off, continue to give us your money so we can build our airports, roads and bridges (we promise to start construction once we have paid off our debt {and Uncle Stavros} ;)) - in the meantime we shall use your generous loans/money to buy even more of your German (sorry, European) cars, arms and electrical appliances, knowing that this will all help to keep your rate of unemployment down, thus gaining you even more votes and enabling you to take in more of the migrants passing through our country (en route to the Germany, Scandinavia and the UK).

Of course, being good Europeans, and should you see fit to pay us even more money, we could always agree, for instance, to take back one migrant for every two that pass through our borders, and that way you would not even have to worry about giving us extra visas like you are promising to do with our Turkish neighbours.

A vous Angela.

2 hours ago, Collis1 said:

Very interesting.  You would think that 'Leave' would have a distinct lead on this forum given the noise made from the Brexiters.

I think the same will happen in reality - a silent majority are planning on voting to remain.

Would get a better idea if this was on the main forum.

5 hours ago, Collis1 said:

Very interesting.  You would think that 'Leave' would have a distinct lead on this forum given the noise made from the Brexiters.

I think the same will happen in reality - a silent majority are planning on voting to remain.

I think you are right.

People who want change are generally more vocal than those who wish to maintain the status quo

15 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Somewhat ingenuous Red, n'est-ce pas?

If I recall correctly, and I am pretty sure I do, the (educated/intelligent) Greeks were acknowledging that they had a good thing going (the Greek accounts upon entry to the EU were, of course, sound ;) and had been verified as being so by the EU leaders and their US accountants {can you believe that?}) so why would they not be in favour (clamour even) to stay in the EU when their real (at risk) wealth had already left Greece (and the EU) and been invested largely in UK property, thus increasing/inflating the price you pay for your own UK property - exacerbated, of course, by the exodus of the somewhat dodgy Russian money, which had also been tied up in Greece and Cyprus.

In the meantime, please (says Greece) don't cut us off, continue to give us your money so we can build our airports, roads and bridges (we promise to start construction once we have paid off our debt {and Uncle Stavros} ;)) - in the meantime we shall use your generous loans/money to buy even more of your German (sorry, European) cars, arms and electrical appliances, knowing that this will all help to keep your rate of unemployment down, thus gaining you even more votes and enabling you to take in more of the migrants passing through our country (en route to the Germany, Scandinavia and the UK).

Of course, being good Europeans, and should you see fit to pay us even more money, we could always agree, for instance, to take back one migrant for every two that pass through our borders, and that way you would not even have to worry about giving us extra visas like you are promising to do with our Turkish neighbours.

A vous Angela.

Yes, yes, but the question was how would I vote in the hypothetical situation that I was Greek, Italian, Spanish etc.

I would struggle to answer that question as I don't live there and haven't enough information to decide (if I was a citizen of those countries) whether the EU was hurting or hindering our economy.

When we look at the UK, it's fairly obvious to me that it's Cameron/Osborne's deflationary policies that are leading us to recession, rather than the 0.46% of GDP (net) which we pay the EU. It's only the fortuity of low oil prices - caused by Saudi policies not ours - combined with less-than-expected repayments on government debt that enabled the UK to climb out of recession in the first place. Now prices at the pump are climbing again and domestic demand for British goods and services is feeble.

Yes, yes, but the question was how would I vote in the hypothetical situation that I was Greek, Italian, Spanish etc.

I would struggle to answer that question as I don't live there and haven't enough information to decide (if I was a citizen of those countries) whether the EU was hurting or hindering our economy.

When we look at the UK, it's fairly obvious to me that it's Cameron/Osborne's deflationary policies that are leading us to recession, rather than the 0.46% of GDP (net) which we pay the EU. It's only the fortuity of low oil prices - caused by Saudi policies not ours - combined with less-than-expected repayments on government debt that enabled the UK to climb out of recession in the first place. Now prices at the pump are climbing again and domestic demand for British goods and services is feeble.

Like yourself Robbo; I have decided to vote Remain on the 23rd.

When this referendum was confirmed, over a year ago, we noticed some schemes being put on the back burner pretty much straight away, a fear I always had. Clearly, this scenario would worsen as time went on (I can only speak for the construction and allied mechanical / electrical services industries), and indeed it has.

To me, a perfect example is the situation at Hinkley Point - the largest construction scheme planned within the whole of Europe . We have heard numerous excuses for the never ending delays; apparently no decision will now be made until September. I am convinced that the reasons given are just a cover for the main reason - the result of this referendum. Should the result be Leave, I believe the French and Chinese will reconsider the whole project, and possibly shelve it.

I do believe a Remain vote will see our industry boosted, with a number of schemes that have been delayed given the green light (as many involve European and non-European finance). I don't see such a bright future with a vote for Leave. The recession you mentioned would surely follow with this scenario. As with 2008; many of us will see income reduced, while outgoings increase. Something many (if not most) of us under retirement age will be dreading.  

Archived