IGNORED

Whole Game Solution (Merged)

Xiled

3 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

Hmm. No non-English teams. Can we eject the Welsh interlopers then and send them back to the Welsh Premier League to compete with Total Network Solutions? Would create four additional league places for genuine English teams.

think you will find they are the new saints

• SC&T Board Members
37 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Isn't all this discussion bollocks? 

I'm yet to hear a decent reason to change what we currently have.

And nothing I've heard is for the benefit of fans as far as I can see. 

Agreed. And Pompey's CEO appears to think likewise:

Portsmouth chief executive Mark Catlin told BBC Radio Solent: "The other line in the sand as far as we're concerned is taking away our aspiration to compete in the highest possible tier - by cutting the Championship and other divisions from 24 to 20 teams, they're just never going to get our vote on that.

"One of the options that was brought to the table during the meeting was an option for no change at all.

"We like the existing structure, we like having FA Cup ties on weekends and we don't want a winter break or two Scottish clubs introduced."

Meanwhile, any idea what our club thinks of the proposals?

46 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Meanwhile,any idea what our club thinks of the proposals?

I would hope with the huge outlay SL has made on the new stadium they would not want to lose revenue by having less home games.

Also if there were less games I'd imagine there would be uproar by fans across the country if clubs didn't reduce season ticketprices accordingly. 

You can bet your bottom dollar that those trying to pass these ideas through aren't doing it for the benefit of clubs and communities.  It will be entirely for the benefit of someone's pocket, masquerading as "football needs to change/modernise".

What needs to change is parachute payments.  Simple.

I think what makes the Championship what it is, is that you get so many sat-tuesday games. The managers and coaches really do have to work hard due to the intensity of it.

The lower league clubs will suffer badly. Many rely on the ticket money to pay every day costs. If there is 2-3 weeks between home games then they will struggle,especially if they have a postponement.

If they really want to change things I'd keep the Championship and League one as it is as it works and expand League Two so it has a North and South.

6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I think what makes the Championship what it is, is that you get so many sat-tuesday games. The managers and coaches really do have to work hard due to the intensity of it.

The lower league clubs will suffer badly. Many rely on the ticket money to pay every day costs. If there is 2-3 weeks between home games then they will struggle,especially if they have a postponement.

If they really want to change things I'd keep the Championship and League one as it is as it works and expand League Two so it has a North and South.

With the top 5 tiers working at a national level I don't know how the League two and Conference clubs would take it. It is an idea i suppose that may or may not help financially those down there. But this is why we need consultation as you may have a really really good idea, or it may not be.

Personally I don't think there is a league system like it in the world as we have 116 clubs in this country that play in a nationwide, non regionalised league and it is the last great strength left in the English game. I would wager that our 5th tier sides are better than any other 5th tier side in the world. This is why the rebranding of THE Football League and attempt to rip it up is so saddening, it is all we have left.

2 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

With the top 5 tiers working at a national level I don't know how the League two and Conference clubs would take it. It is an idea i suppose that may or may not help financially those down there. But this is why we need consultation as you may have a really really good idea, or it may not be.

Personally I don't think there is a league system like it in the world as we have 116 clubs in this country that play in a nationwide, non regionalised league and it is the last great strength left in the English game. I would wager that our 5th tier sides are better than any other 5th tier side in the world. This is why the rebranding of THE Football League and attempt to rip it up is so saddening, it is all we have left.

I guess ensuring that the distance teams (and fans) have to travel midweek is taken into consideration, would help. I wouldn't want to restrict the competition if possible.

8 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I would if possible make the EFL Cup football league clubs only with the prize of a European place for the winners. Although can't see the prem agreeing to this.

I wonder if the Premier League closed up shop (no relegation)and became a separate competition to the Football League which would last longer/be more successful? 

Archived