IGNORED

Academy Jobs

t_b

Seems we have listed a load of academy jobs online as if they were match day staff;

http://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/about/careers/

Am I the only one to think 35-40k pa is a little low for a professional 2nd tier U21 (or "reserves") team manager?

And head of coaching? Unless my understanding of what back room staff get paid; it doesn't seem like it will attract high calibrate candidate!

1 hour ago, tommy_b said:

Seems we have listed a load of academy jobs online as if they were match day staff;

Am I the only one to think 35-40k pa is a little low for a professional 2nd tier U21 (or "reserves") team manager?

And head of coaching? Unless my understanding of what back room staff get paid; it doesn't seem like it will attract high calibrate candidate!

Interesting that you believe it's a lower salary for the job. I don't know and wouldn't guess how much coaches get paid but as a salary itself is quite a good one. Will be interesting to see who we bring in and whether we can spot a trend given they have had a clear out of academy staff. Hope it's a decision which works for us!

51 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Interesting that you believe it's a lower salary for the job. I don't know and wouldn't guess how much coaches get paid but as a salary itself is quite a good one.

I am comparing the salary to the profession. I don't believe the catering staff should get "footballer" wages because they are associated with 'the game' but would've assumed someone heavily influencing the playing squad wouldn't be so low. If Tomlin is aiming for 10k a week then for one Tomlin we'd be paying for all the coaching staff we've now advertised for.

I know managers often get paid less than players but it just seems a 'low' wage when you could end up managing someone (and I appreciate the first team rarely feature for the U21s but for the head of coaching position, for instance) who earns 10x what this guy is on. 

23 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

I am comparing the salary to the profession. I don't believe the catering staff should get "footballer" wages because they are associated with 'the game' but would've assumed someone heavily influencing the playing squad wouldn't be so low. If Tomlin is aiming for 10k a week then for one Tomlin we'd be paying for all the coaching staff we've now advertised for.

I know managers often get paid less than players but it just seems a 'low' wage when you could end up managing someone (and I appreciate the first team rarely feature for the U21s but for the head of coaching position, for instance) who earns 10x what this guy is on. 

92 clubs, 11 first team players per year, numerous falling out of the game and only 92 academy roles (probably far fewer) jobs available. Demand for the role monster high, ergo the salary isn't going to be anything more than average.

30 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Jesus Christ. Some truly awful wages being offered out there. 

Which ex pro (presumably they want one?) in their right mind is going to take the u21 manager post for £700-800 a week. 

Add in the fact that they could be sacked any minute, due to City's endless reorganisations, and it looks even worse. I imagine the only applicants will be ex pros who have just finished playing, and have their coaching badges, but no real full time coaching experience. They might use this as a way of getting into the game as a coach, so that they could move onto a better paid job ASAP. 

I didn't apply for the Bristol Sport head of finance role recently as the salary was not in line with what was expected of the job; about £30k short.

I get the impression that there's a real inner circle going on with telephone number salaries for anybody who can pretend that they're vital and low wages for everybody else.

48 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I get the impression that there's a real inner circle going on with telephone number salaries for anybody who can pretend that they're vital and low wages for everybody else.

Just like most businesses then?

Football clubs have always been notorious for low wages to non playing staff. Only the First team manager and his assistant get anywhere near what the top players are paid.

After all, without the players, the club would not exist; but could in theory carry on playing without a lot of the staff. Cruel but realistic.

On 14 June 2016 at 19:44, tommy_b said:

That is a worryingly long list of posts to recruit before the season starts! Does anyone at Bristol sport know anything about the salary structure in football? It's like they have just plucked numbers from thin air?! No wonder Tommy Wright declined the Under 21's manager role, that salary will be way off what he is on now. Will be really interesting to see who they fill a number of these roles with. I worry about this club and who makes the decisions 

8 minutes ago, Mike B_arnes said:

That is a worryingly long list of posts to recruit before the season starts! Does anyone at Bristol sport know anything about the salary structure in football? It's like they have just plucked numbers from thin air?! No wonder Tommy Wright declined the Under 21's manager role, that salary will be way off what he is on now. Will be really interesting to see who they fill a number of these roles with. I worry about this club and who makes the decisions 

What is he on at the moment and what is the going rate?

On 15 June 2016 at 08:41, downendcity said:

Just like most businesses then?

I pay my people the going rate but often break the pay structure for exceptional candidates as you just don't see the difference in the pay amounts in the long term as their value and return outweighs it...I see it as an investment. 

I hope that the club do the same.

Cant really comment in depth on these advertised salaries with any real knowledge of the facts however they do appear on the surface a bottom end of any pay structure. 

On 17 June 2016 at 23:31, Bristol Rob said:

On 17 June 2016 at 23:31, Bristol Rob said:

I'm half speculating that Wright will be on nearer £80k and having looked at advertised academy jobs elsewhere I would say the under 21's wage should be around £60k. They will fill the roles no problem but unsure of the calibre of applicant. Saying that I would imagine jobs at this level are like gold dust so they will have plenty of interest.

I agree with those that say it's good to see these roles publicly advertised.

I also agree with those that think that the salary offered is poor. As a fan, it's upsetting to hear all this rhetoric about how our academy will be the future and will drive us towards top-flight football, only to see that the club is penny-pinching on the staff they wish to bring in.

If £40k is a realistic and competitive salary for a U21 Manager (which I doubt) then why not pay £80k and get the best possible candidate?

38 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I agree with those that say it's good to see these roles publicly advertised.

I also agree with those that think that the salary offered is poor. As a fan, it's upsetting to hear all this rhetoric about how our academy will be the future and will drive us towards top-flight football, only to see that the club is penny-pinching on the staff they wish to bring in.

If £40k is a realistic and competitive salary for a U21 Manager (which I doubt) then why not pay £80k and get the best possible candidate?

we don't know if the salary is poor in regards to other clubs tho' It can't be that poor as we keep filling the posts,

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

we don't know if the salary is poor in regards to other clubs tho' It can't be that poor as we keep filling the posts,

All I've got to go from is this.

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/footballcoach.aspx

This lists a league coach at around £25k to £250k+, depending on the level of the club. At Championship level, you'd imagine that they'd at least be looking at around £80-100k for a club with a category 2 academy. You'd imagine that the U21 Manager would be on more than that too.

8 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

All I've got to go from is this.

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/footballcoach.aspx

This lists a league coach at around £25k to £250k+, depending on the level of the club. At Championship level, you'd imagine that they'd at least be looking at around £80-100k for a club with a category 2 academy. You'd imagine that the U21 Manager would be on more than that too.

nah I would of thought championship would be 40 -80k to be honest, there isn't enough money floating around to pay all your coaching staff a top wedge, but its speculation,

I mean I wouldn't want my under 21's manager on more then 1k a week max not unless he was a top coach with a proven track record,

3 minutes ago, Mike B_arnes said:

Drum roll please.............former Robins player Jamie McAllister will be announced as the new Under 21's manager. I'm guessing that the advertised salary didn't attract the calibre of coach that LJ was hoping for? 

Didn't see that coming. Good appointment though.

12 minutes ago, Mike B_arnes said:

Drum roll please.............former Robins player Jamie McAllister will be announced as the new Under 21's manager. I'm guessing that the advertised salary didn't attract the calibre of coach that LJ was hoping for? 

Is ittttttt?

Archived