IGNORED

Christian Roberts

Taz

Amid all of the transfer speculation regarding who this mystery striker is that we are apparently close to signing, there have also been a few posts regarding the team selection for the start of next season. One thing that has amazed me though, is one player that has hardly been mentioned by the forum in these team selections is Mr Roberts.

Ok Heffernan will probably start as first choice striker (the transfer fee and goals scored last season help a bit), and if this mystery striker who is apparently big and will cost a fee signs, then presumably he will also start alongside Heff. What about Roberts though?

Finished season 2002/3 as second highest scorer behind Scott Murray, and after being played out of position for the majority of last season as Scotts replacement on the right, came back in up front and was the main reason for us getting where we ended up.

If we are going to use the 3-5-2 formation, then I think that Roberts needs to be used just behind the front two. This way he can pick up the scraps from midfield, run at defenders, cause problems and lay it off to either of the front two (whilst also scoring a few as well). Do we really need to sign an attacking midfielder when Roberts could possibly do the job himself?

When we sign MacLean I think Roberts will unfortunately be made the man to make way.

At the end of the day I just don't think he is consistant enough hence the reason we are signing two goal scorers and I personally think Lita and Miller have more potential and you still need to bring Gillespie into the fold.

Good Point Taz, in fact Lee M, and Robbo are both capable of that role, and would fit in the formation, and if they are constantly on the move looking for the gaps, it may well rip the more ponderous defences in the Div, and cause problems for the better ones too.

guess its wether you face fits or not..hopefully all three have a successful season for us. Robbo, for getting us to (almost) the promotion, Miller as he starts to show what he can do and Heffernan, with (no disrespect intended) a decent team round him, getting more goals.

Put it another way: Miller is trying for his Scotland Cap, Robbo, his Welsh one, and Heffernan, his Irish one, and should this mystery striker turn out to ne Mcclean, he's going for a Scottish one too.

hopefully all of them, and more importantly CITY turn out winners

Guest exiledred

totally agree Taz- Robbo would always be one of the first names on my team sheet and if he had been for DW all of last year we would have scored more and gone up I believe

Got agree with you on that Taz, Roberts got us through to the play-off final with a brilliant last minute goal. He would definetly be in my first line-up. City should stop spending the money now and wait until around January, if things aren't as they should be in January then we shoud think about buying more players. We now have a perfectly capable team and we just need Tins to have the right stategies and us to get behind the team the best we can to get us to Divison one (sorry means Coca Cola 'Championship').

The reason Tinnion is buying striker sis because Roberts rarely does it when it matters. He did it in the semis of the Play offs but has been anoynymous in the LDV, play off final and many other games when its counted - both Cardiff games last year in the play offs aswel. Roberts is a great third striker bu i feel we an do a lot better for the starting line up

Guest smoking_Gee

17 goals in his 1st full season for us is a good record. Remember he missed 2 months because wilson signed Robins and Fagan on loan. Then at the start of the new season he was 3rd or 4th choice striker and reserve choice winger, and when things wernt going to good wilson chucked Roberts up front and he did the deeds. He should be given a good chance. I feel he could get us 20+ a season from attack or just behind the front 2

Guest RedHotCityPepper
If we are going to use the 3-5-2 formation, then I think that Roberts needs to be used just behind the front two.

The only problem with this is that Tinnion wants to sign someone to play here as well which would again leave Roberts in the cold.

I would love to see him get a chance. I don't really understand what he's done to be discounted by our last manager and by the looks of things our new one.

I really don't see where he fits into Tinnions plnas for next season :city:

Not consistent enough, couldn't play behind the front two as he can't read the game, yes he can have a superb game and for sure he has pace and can run, but we need a performer who can do well week in week out, but he isn't good enough in my view, despite a brilliant end to the season for him.

didn't he get us to the final of the playoffs?, didn't he score a last minute goal in that 5-4 win @ mansfield?

notice that i did say he did well in the play off semis. I dont think you can call mansfield a game that REALLY mattered. It was in the middle of the season and didnt mean that much-it was still a great victory. I am jsut talking about games where you really need a performance like in the play off final.

Guest Incide Right
If we are going to use the 3-5-2 formation, then I think that Roberts needs to be used just behind the front two. This way he can pick up the scraps from midfield, run at defenders, cause problems and lay it off to either of the front two (whilst also scoring a few as well). Do we really need to sign an attacking midfielder when Roberts could possibly do the job himself?

I would be very suprised if Roberts was played in an advanced midfield role in a 3-5-2 formation. with two strikers plus two wide men, the three midfielders will have to be prepared to stay back and protect the back three. Roberts had his chance as an attacking midfielder (albeit wide) last season and it was not a sucess. if nothing else, last season proved to me he should be played in an attacking pair or not at all. he would be good competition for the attack, given that both Heffers and Maclean (if signed) are unproven, but I wouldn't be suprised to see him go.

Being a Roberts fan and having read many things on the official web-site quashing rumours and speculation that appear on the forum (normally within a day or two of the first post on a subject), I find the lack of attempts to quash the rumour that Roberts may be on his way slightly worrying.

I hope I am wrong :city:

Tony Robinson said Roberts is better than he thinks.

I tend to agree with this, and would say a good run in the first team would sort his confidence out, i would say Roberts is only a fag paper short of being a 20/25 goal striker.

His goal scoring ratio is pretty damn good considering he has been played out of positon a lot of the time, i think he fairs as good as anyone weve had here in the past few seasons, i no he tends to miss a few (like any other striker) but at least he gets the chances in the firt place which really means hes doing his job.

If he does leave he will haunt us watch this space

Archived