IGNORED

The price of promotion....

headhunter

Just chatting a a Bournemouth fan mate of mine about football matters.

He said Tomlin is one of several that will be cleared out this close in his opinion - Ritchie to West Ham, Elphick to Villa [£3m] and Tomlin to .... well he knew we  were interested! I asked him about wages, he reckoned £20k-£25k. Let's say its the top end of that and our max is £15k, we could give Tomlin a 3 year deal with 1/2 million signing on and same amount at the end of Year 1 & 2 and he is then no worse off. Maybe we can get him.

We then talked about  Bournemouth's finances. In the year to June 2015, they had av gates of 11K and a £!2M turnover. They had a wage bill of £40M  and a loss of £30M. He said their Chairman went for it and they achieved their objective. Looking at the TV money, the fine is a small price to pay.

Should we adopt a similar approach? Lansdown has been funding £10M losses for several years. Would a more gung ho approach achieved more?

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

It's fine going for it, but it's not guaranteed, is it?

No point spending it, then being back in Div 3 in 2 years time with £50m of debt hanging around you

This.

In their promotion season, Bournemouth didn't guarantee their spot until the 45th game. Could have easily gone the other way and then where would that have left them?

In context, if we spent £30m, we'd still be at best 10-1 and probably 6th in the betting. Would you put £30m on a 10-1 shot - comes off, untold riches. Doesn't - financial sh!t creek...

Said it before - sustainable incremental improvements, season-on-season is the way to do it.  Now we have the right infrastructure in place, we are well placed to move forwards.  We can gradually improve the team, which in turn will improve attendances, which then increases revenues and makes the club more attractive to even better players.  Repeat the cycle and you are gradually working towards the Premier League.

35 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

It's fine going for it, but it's not guaranteed, is it?

No point spending it, then being back in Div 3 in 2 years time with £50m of debt hanging around you

Exactly, ask Portsmouth if they think it was worth it when they nearly went under.  

With the number of big clubs in the Championship getting parachute payments etc, even if you did spend big there is no gauruntee with only 3 teams promoted that you would go up, and what happens then??  Villa, Newcastle, Derby, Brighton, Sheff Wed, QPR to name but a few will probably spend more than us,

46 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Exactly, ask Portsmouth if they think it was worth it when they nearly went under.  

With the number of big clubs in the Championship getting parachute payments etc, even if you did spend big there is no gauruntee with only 3 teams promoted that you would go up, and what happens then??  Villa, Newcastle, Derby, Brighton, Sheff Wed, QPR to name but a few will probably spend more than us,

Why ask Portsmouth, when plenty of us remember it happening here!

Quite a consistent response to my original post.

SL has probably squandered £50M over the past 10 years through bad decision making in key areas. I do feel now we have the infrastructure in place in terms of resources [training ground / stadium] and personnel. SL could blow another £40M by going for it and if he failed it would hardly leave his family on the threshold of poverty.

The tone of the respondents to this thread suggests they are all likely to vote remain rather than leave in this week's referendum!!!

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Quite a consistent response to my original post.

SL has probably squandered £50M over the past 10 years through bad decision making in key areas. I do feel now we have the infrastructure in place in terms of resources [training ground / stadium] and personnel. SL could blow another £40M by going for it and if he failed it would hardly leave his family on the threshold of poverty.

The tone of the respondents to this thread suggests they are all likely to vote remain rather than leave in this week's referendum!!!

I'd love to know if SL does ever have a devil on his shoulder just telling him to cut lose and spend a massive fortune taking City to the Prem.

Let's face it, if the money was spent on the right players, you can easily buy the league if you are wealthy enough.

We did the same thing in League One last time, simply because we absolutely had to be back in the Championship.

An outlay of £45 million this summer would, in my opinion, guarantee promotion for us.

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I'd love to know if SL does ever have a devil on his shoulder just telling him to cut lose and spend a massive fortune taking City to the Prem.

Let's face it, if the money was spent on the right players, you can easily buy the league if you are wealthy enough.

We did the same thing in League One last time, simply because we absolutely had to be back in the Championship.

An outlay of £45 million this summer would, in my opinion, guarantee promotion for us.

The only thing that spending £45million would GUARANTEE is.... Nothing. 

There are no guarantees in football. I can't believe that some people haven't realised that yet. 

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

How much did Man Utd, Chelsea, Man city spend this season?

who won the league?

nothing is ever guaranteed in life!

15 hours ago, cynic said:

Agreed.

And with half a dozen clubs getting parachute payments, as well as four or five others capable of chucking big money about, its a massive prohibitive gamble to "go for it" against that lot.

Its also a sobering thought that even with the ground redevelopment taking it up to 27k seats, there are still 13 or 14 others with bigger stadiums and bigger attendances generating more income than us.

The positive is that we now have an infrastructure to enable sustainable growth and be more attractive to potential players.

The fact is that 27k stadium just ain't big at this level...pity it couldn't have had a few more thou but there we go..

The key to sustained success is the right infrastructure from head coach to chief executive, or whatever Ashton's title is, via good u21 policy.

The actual players are almost secondary (note that in 21st century there is little long term loyalty) in the search for sustained success.  You can buy promotion but as others have said can you sustain that.  Many have failed, as I believe Bournemouth will in their turn.  A better model for us is Stoke, but actually we are creating our own model via Bristol Sport.  Believe.  I hope I live long enough to see this success which I am sure WILL come. Believe. CTID

20 hours ago, headhunter said:

Just chatting a a Bournemouth fan mate of mine about football matters.

He said Tomlin is one of several that will be cleared out this close in his opinion - Ritchie to West Ham, Elphick to Villa [£3m] and Tomlin to .... well he knew we  were interested! I asked him about wages, he reckoned £20k-£25k. Let's say its the top end of that and our max is £15k, we could give Tomlin a 3 year deal with 1/2 million signing on and same amount at the end of Year 1 & 2 and he is then no worse off. Maybe we can get him.

We then talked about  Bournemouth's finances. In the year to June 2015, they had av gates of 11K and a £!2M turnover. They had a wage bill of £40M  and a loss of £30M. He said their Chairman went for it and they achieved their objective. Looking at the TV money, the fine is a small price to pay.

Should we adopt a similar approach? Lansdown has been funding £10M losses for several years. Would a more gung ho approach achieved more?

They broke the rules re FFP, and ended up getting fined £7.6 million. They cheated to get promotion but ended up getting hundreds of millions of ££££, where is the justice.

12 hours ago, reddogkev said:

no it wouldn't

Derby spent 30 million last season on top of an already impressive squad and they managed to scrape into the play-offs and lose,

If it would guarantee promotion, 23 other clubs would do it 

Archived