IGNORED

Pre season friendly with club affinity?

28 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Maybe. It's great when clubs have affinities with other teams, don't you agree?

I think this intra-club affinity you speak of exists only in the minds of a relative handful of fans, certainly this side of the Channel. The club have consistently shown nothing but apathy towards any "connection" and the vast majority of City fans will have no idea what you're going on about. 

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 07:22, CyderInACan said:

I think this intra-club affinity you speak of exists only in the minds of a relative handful of fans, certainly this side of the Channel. The club have consistently shown nothing but apathy towards any "connection" and the vast majority of City fans will have no idea what you're going on about. 

I think this intra-club affinity you speak of exists only in the minds of a relative handful of fans ... A educated guess at those who have actively (travelled abroad) taken part would be around 3-4 % of regular support. A quite large relative handful. How big are your hands?

The vast majority of City fans will have no idea what you're going on about ... Amongst sections of the clubs support the majority do. 

If BCFC x Bristol Sport wanted to do something a little different (one day) its there waiting ..

11 hours ago, WTMS said:

I think this intra-club affinity you speak of exists only in the minds of a relative handful of fans ... A educated guess at those who have actively (travelled abroad) taken part would be around 3-4 % of regular support. A quite large relative handful. How big are your hands?

The vast majority of City fans will have no idea what you're going on about ... Amongst sections of the clubs support the majority do. 

If BCFC x Bristol Sport wanted to do something a little different (one day) its there waiting ..

So some fans in certain sections of the club's support have heard of this connection.  Hardly a compelling argument. 

Spin it however you want, most fans simply couldn't give a toss. 

24 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

So some fans in certain sections of the club's support have heard of this connection.  Hardly a compelling argument. 

Spin it however you want, most fans simply couldn't give a toss. 

Most fans simply couldn't give a toss .. I. would prefer using indifferent. Fans can be indifferent to friendlies and tours. If individuals within Bristol City FC wanted to do something different, and increase the numbers attending a match there is an obvious option. It is inconceivable a match in the Netherlands would draw less from Bristol than the trips to Latvia, Portugal, Sweden ... Did you attend?

10 hours ago, WTMS said:

Most fans simply couldn't give a toss .. I. would prefer using indifferent. Fans can be indifferent to friendlies and tours. If individuals within Bristol City FC wanted to do something different, and increase the numbers attending a match there is an obvious option. It is inconceivable a match in the Netherlands would draw less from Bristol than the trips to Latvia, Portugal, Sweden ... Did you attend?

No I didn't go to Latvia, Portugal, Sweden or even Botswana on any of the pre season tours, but I fail to see what point you're trying to make. BCFC have been pretty consistent in not being at all bothered by the annual possibility of a trip to Willem that, let's face it, is not going to happen. 

36 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

No I didn't go to Latvia, Portugal, Sweden or even Botswana on any of the pre season tours, but I fail to see what point you're trying to make. BCFC have been pretty consistent in not being at all bothered by the annual possibility of a trip to Willem that, let's face it, is not going to happen. 

Then you could include yourself in the indifferent camp to all friendlies abroad, It does not matter to yourself, but to those of us who do attend tours etc an improvement to get the participation levels up would be a match v Willem II. The small numbers who attend these fixtures, and at times they have not been made easy for fans to take part in include fans, a significant proportion who also travel to Tilburg.

BCFC have been pretty consistent in not being at all bothered by ... Not all.

Whether it happens or not, the opportunity is there to broaden involvement in friendlies.

44 minutes ago, WTMS said:

Then you could include yourself in the indifferent camp to all friendlies abroad, It does not matter to yourself, but to those of us who do attend tours etc an improvement to get the participation levels up would be a match v Willem II. The small numbers who attend these fixtures, and at times they have not been made easy for fans to take part in include fans, a significant proportion who also travel to Tilburg.

Whether it happens or not, the opportunity is there to broaden involvement in friendlies.

Are pretty season games for the benefit of the fans or the fitness and formation options of the manager/first team?

32 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Are pretty season games for the benefit of the fans or the fitness and formation options of the manager/first team?

They can be both. The club exists because of its fans. A match could be played abroad with a view to increase the involvement of fans in their club.

1 minute ago, Selred said:

To be fair Botswana opposition wasn't of great calibre.... 

Which is not unusual.

The numbers of City fans at these matches abroad going back decades is frequently below two hundred and has been in the tens.

Bristol City do have he opportunity to do something different.

Bristol City can raise support at Bristol City matches abroad above tens , a hundred by putting more thought into how those who have an interest can be included. Just once in a decade would be a improvement on the team walking out onto a foreign pitch to be greeted by virtually nobody who supports the team. It would also be great fun to include more beyond those with high disposable incomes (generally), and the ability to take time off work at short notice.  

6 hours ago, WTMS said:

I'm prepared to suggest that City won't be agreeing a friendly with Willem any time soon. 

15 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I'm prepared to suggest that City won't be agreeing a friendly with Willem any time soon. 

Posts have not indicated that there will be only that an opportunity to do something different exists, not all fans do not give a toss, and that the club have shown nothing but apathy. 

7 minutes ago, WTMS said:

Posts have not indicated that there will be only that an opportunity to do something different exists, not all fans do not give a toss, and that the club have shown nothing but apathy. 

So apathy from the club, apathy from all but a tiny minority of supporters and something in the first sentence I didn't quite understand.

Didn't Dave Lloyd mail Will.I.AM to see if they wanted to come round for tea one night after school but they never replied? Which suggests apathy on both sides.

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

So apathy from the club,

No Club Directors have expressed an interest. As have BCFC employees (ex now?). It would be unfair to do a head count on line of who is who, and who is apathetic (it is not apparent). 

Whether it will happen or not ...  The opportunity is there.

2 hours ago, City169 said:

To be fair he didn't say anything about opposition calibre, just fitness and formation

Yes and the fitness will come against playing higher quality players. You'd need to work harder, think faster etc. Therefore playing against Willem will hardly be a bad thing compared to the teams we played in the past. 

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Yes and the fitness will come against playing higher quality players. You'd need to work harder, think faster etc. Therefore playing against Willem will hardly be a bad thing compared to the teams we played in the past. 

You need to work harder, think faster against anyone playing with a high tempo, regardless of their quality

It's great when clubs have affinities with other teams, don't you agree?

Yes.

Why not do something which will more widely fit both? The former and latter do not have to collide.

14 hours ago, Selred said:

Has to be what's best for the team not the fans.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Has to be what's best for the team not the fans.

Picture from Botswana

10492044_10152306718608790_2152585536135

Decent flag, but barely any Bristol City fans attended.

It would be quite a cool thing to play a friendly abroad which enables more sizeable numbers of fans to attend.

Archived