IGNORED

Well done Ireland!!!

Red Skin

10 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Brilliant to have England, Northern Ireland, Eire and Wales through, I wonder what the odds were at the beginning of the tournament on all 4 getting through?

The Scots must be thrilled.With the rest of the UK in France at the moment at least they get their independence for a few weeks.

10 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I'm not one of those bogus Loyalist types but I really dont get the love in with the Irish Republic.They speak the same lingo but thats it for me and a lot of them dont exactly love the English.

You're not wrong. They generally love it when we lose. Football, Rugby they usually support our opposition. I guess you could argue that's what makes us better, when we like to see them do well. 

The reason I love the Republic is their fans are pure class. Never in trouble, and always loved by the locals. If there was one international team that deserves a bit of success for their fans it is them. And so what if they want us to lose, I like the Gas losing, doesn't mean I can't have some great friends from the dark side.

1 hour ago, Just Red said:

Absolutely delighted we have all made it through.

'We all' made it through when Northern Ireland made it - not sure why there are all the congrats for a Country outside the UK getting through...there would be a lot of threads if we congratulated each non-UK country's progress...

31 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I'm not one of those bogus Loyalist types but I really dont get the love in with the Irish Republic.They speak the same lingo but thats it for me and a lot of them dont exactly love the English.

Quite right - I cheered a David Beckham goal in a pub in Dublin and got serious abuse and was told to leave by the bar owner...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

'We all' made it through when Northern Ireland made it - not sure why there are all the congrats for a Country outside the UK getting through...there would be a lot of threads if we congratulated each non-UK country's progress...

The cross of Saint Patrick which represents the whole of Ireland is one of three flags in the Union Jack. Culturally and historically we are very close with lots of Irish migrants and their descendants in the UK. Our top goalscorer is called Rooney. 

But most importantly it gives more people the chance to laugh at Scotland.

1 hour ago, BS15_RED said:

I recently went on a Stag weekend to Dublin and can only say the locals were very friendly.

Good to hear.  

Not always the most friendly much like any country's capital city inhabitants. Any Englishman would probably get a warmer welcome in the rest of the Republic of Ireland than a Dubliner too.  

32 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Good to hear.  

Not always the most friendly much like any country's capital city inhabitants. Any Englishman would probably get a warmer welcome in the rest of the Republic of Ireland than a Dubliner too.  

The rest of the country do think they`re well up themselves certainly. If you talk to folks out in Kerry about Dubliners the only people they dislike more are blow-ins from Cork!

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

The rest of the country do think they`re well up themselves certainly. If you talk to folks out in Kerry about Dubliners the only people they dislike more are blow-ins from Cork!

I've taken more of a liking to them since they stopped providing any competition in the football.

6 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I've taken more of a liking to them since they stopped providing any competition in the football.

I was reading Brian O'Driscoll's book a while back, he says how Munster fans would tell him they supported Munster first and Ireland second! As you're a Munsterman is that the broad feeling within the province?

I have a lot of Irish friends, spend a lot of time in Dublin (always having a good time there), work for an Irish company, think Clontarf is home to the finest curry house I have ever set foot inside, and have seen Ireland play many times at Croke Park and the Aviva.  That said, **** them if it comes to wanting them to win anything.  

1 hour ago, BS15_RED said:

I was reading Brian O'Driscoll's book a while back, he says how Munster fans would tell him they supported Munster first and Ireland second! As you're a Munsterman is that the broad feeling within the province?

It probably is, though I've never lived there so don't take my word for it. Being brutally honest I probably enjoyed the Heineken Cup wins more than the Grand Slam, though they were all great. BOD is a wum though, he'll remember a time when many Leinster folk supported Munster (Lunsters).

Archived