IGNORED

Disappointed in establishment and media

Fiale

I used to think that our Government and politicians at least had a inkling as to what they were doing, and had plans for most scenarios in case things do not go as we want. Since we voted to leave the EU, the Prime minister threw his teddy out the pram, and resigned, the chancellor, well anyone know where he is  ? The government should have been out in force reassuring people things are ok, we have plans, and have a positive message - instead we get back biting and leadership campaigns, worse the opposition party is doing the same.

We then have the media that is just more intent with stirring up hostility and running the people and country down than being responsible, reporting the facts, and postulating the future. They seem to just want to light a match under the UK and watch it burn instead so they can get a few more clicks or newspaper sells.

I would not trust the Government, opposition or our media if a real emergency were to happen. They have proven themselves to be incompetent, self serving, and unable to step back and put the country first. 

Some good points made which I think everybody on either side of the divide can agree with.

I thought the campaign on both sides was a complete and total disgrace.  As an electorate we got to choose between project lies and project fear.  

The Remain side didn't make a single positive argument for the EU, at no point did they tell us about all the wonderful things the EU was going to do for us in the future that we'd miss out on if we left.  All they did was make fearful and easy to dismiss statements about things that will go wrong.  Whether or not they were right matters not one bit, because it was clear that nobody trusted the politicians or experts to predict anything leaving people to believe what they wanted to which makes fear and completely ineffective tactic.  We knew this from the scotch referendum and we saw signs of the electorate beginning to see through it in the last general election and still it was the tories only answer - no hope, no aspirations, nothing new or exciting.  Just "it's shit but it'll be worse if you vote out, trust us". 

The Leave side lied repeatedly about the current situation, and did so with not one single shred of even mild embarrassment.  They had (and have) no plan to implement the withdrawal nor to deal with any of the issues that they knew, despite continual denials, would arise.  Similarly they did not have anything positive to tell us about leaving.  Some vague abstract waffle about sovereignty (yeah, like these ******* are going to make laws that are better for you) and again the fear factor about immigrants.  The only positive thing anybody can recall was the £350m to be spent on the NHS every week which it turns out was a lie - shock horror.  Nothing about how we'd rebuild manufacturing, improve education, save the NHS, deal with an aging population better without the EU stopping us, just lies and xenophobia.

I have no time at all for the media either but it is naive to expect anything from them other than to do the bidding of their lords and masters.  Journalistic integrity died some time during the 80s and though a few old hands still have it none of the new ones do, they all follow an agenda and align to whichever organisation is closest to it.  Every issue is dumbed down and polarised and that's why standard of debate in our democracy is appallingly low.  It's not entirely the media's fault though, they learn the habits from the politicians.  

A friend of a friend of mine is in marketing and was given the job of producing an advert for Edinburgh zoo featuring the chimpanzees.  They filmed for 48 hours but he told me that his job in cutting that to 90 seconds was actually dead easy because when they discarded all the footage of apes throwing shit at each other and eating it they were only left with about 10 minutes to choose from.  Well, it wouldn't have mattered how good a media we had during this campaign would it?  They were in the same position.

I still have a faint hope that we might see some real political change led by the grassroots on either side but whilst the last vestige of the blairites and the bullingdon club are creating nice distracting soap operas in their respective parties it seems likely that general apathy on the part of the electorate will continue.  Not even the murder of one of few good ones was enough to stop them and that's the saddest indictment of them all.

2 hours ago, screech said:

The most ironic thing of all was David Cameron after making his passionate speech on live TV of how Britain are not a bunch of quitters, quit within 5 hours of losing.

Along with Juncker saying we would be treated as deserters and threatening us with 'consequences' that was another thing that really riled us older voters.

On 26/06/2016 at 18:46, marshy said:

Along with Juncker saying we would be treated as deserters and threatening us with 'consequences' that was another thing that really riled us older voters.

"Your name vill also go down in my book...."

Archived