IGNORED

The Icelandic Chant / Celebration

Fordy62

Amidst of the turmoil of our national side, one great thing has arisen from the debacle of last night and that's the Icelandic "Hoooooooo!" *Clap* chant. 

Can't say I've ever seen anything quite as good or effective at a football match.

Massive congratulation to their team and fans. I think it meant a lot more to them than it would have done to us.

If you've been hiding somewhere, here it is... it was going on throughout the game as well as at the end.

http://bbc.in/290slRe

Well done Iceland.

8 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

A Northern haka?

I've never understood why the RFU insists teams have to stand still and not laugh while teams of white European New Zealanders and other non-Maoris do their silly dance.

I would suggest our rugby players adopt something traditional to us. Specifically the sign used by the long bowmen when facing the French at Agincourt. 

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've never understood why the RFU insists teams have to stand still and not laugh while teams of white European New Zealanders and other non-Maoris do their silly dance.

I would suggest our rugby players adopt something traditional to us. Specifically the sign used by the long bowmen when facing the French at Agincourt. 

Most All Blacks players have said they happily welcome any challenge to the Haka. 

3 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Hoooooo hoooooo and so on is a warning that the vulkan is coming. Great and powerful I Think.

So when will Dr Spock and Captain Kirk arrive ?

Also Garland, what happened to Tommy ?

In baseball the Atlanta Braves fans do a tomahawk chant in which they move their rigid arms at the elbow up and down to resemble a tomahawk. This can be quite frightening to some when they do it en masse, although to others it just seems like it is a mass convention of The Woodentops.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

The thing is, no one complains when Tonga,Samoa and Fiji do their own Haka's, could it be that other teams can beat these teams, but people always look for an excuse when the All Blacks beat them!!

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

The thing is, no one complains when Tonga,Samoa and Fiji do their own Haka's, could it be that other teams can beat these teams, but people always look for an excuse when the All Blacks beat them!!

I'm interested as to why the island nations do it. It's a  Maori tradition, not a Polynesian one. 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Great. Let's do it. It's the officials who say we must respect it.  Not the players.

It's only the English rugby fan that has a problem with it, they will do it in the changing room if forced to.

They did this in Cardiff a few years ago when the Welsh rfu said they could only do it on the pitch if they did it before the anthems. 

New Zealanders are very proud of their heratige, I lived there for a few years and it opens your eyes to what a proud nation they are.

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

What a load of bollocks the Haka is !

I would like to see an opposing side turn round and bare their backsides at the N.Z. players. 

58 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

It's only the English rugby fan that has a problem with it, they will do it in the changing room if forced to.

They did this in Cardiff a few years ago when the Welsh rfu said they could only do it on the pitch if they did it before the anthems. 

New Zealanders are very proud of their heratige, I lived there for a few years and it opens your eyes to what a proud nation they are.

But 75% of those doing it are not Maoris.  In fact a fair few of them are descendents of the people who massacred the Maoris with muskets, smallpox and whisky.  It's a bit like if white Americans stuck feathers in their hair and danced around a totem pole before international matches.

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I have the answer , this'll have them trembling in their boots .

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

But 75% of those doing it are not Maoris.  In fact a fair few of them are descendents of the people who massacred the Maoris with muskets, smallpox and whisky.  It's a bit like if white Americans stuck feathers in their hair and danced around a totem pole before international matches.

How do you know this, a lot of 'white looking' kiwis have Maori blood in them from mixed marriages etc.

You only have to look at the New Zealand Maori team, even blokes with ginger hair! 

Heres a link, Pakeha means white by the way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pākehā_Māori

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

What a load of bollocks the Haka is !

I would like to see an opposing side turn round and bare their backsides at the N.Z. players. 

Ironic!!  

Whakapohane is the Māori practice of baring one's buttocks with the intent to offend. It symbolises the birthing act and renders the recipient noa ("base").[5]

Just now, Portland Bill said:

How do you know this, a lot of 'white looking' kiwis have Maori blood in them from mixed marriages etc.

You only have to look at the New Zealand Moari team, even blokes with ginger hair! 

Heres a link, Pakeha means white by the way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pākehā_Māori

Bill, even if some of them have, not all of them do. 

Don't you feel it's a sort of embarrassing cultural imperialism for whiteys to do dances originally used by the folk facing them in battle? It's a step away from the Black & White Minstrel Show.

Anyway, that wasn't the point of my first post. They can do what they want. I just don't see why we have to stand stony faced in the face of their cavorting.

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Bill, even if some of them have, not all of them do. 

Don't you feel it's a sort of embarrassing cultural imperialism for whiteys to do dances originally used by the folk facing them in battle? It's a step away from the Black & White Minstrel Show.

Anyway, that wasn't the point of my first post. They can do what they want. I just don't see why we have to stand stony faced in the face of their cavorting.

Be careful. I understand that you are not suggesting this but you are getting very close to an idea where people can't participate in certain activities based on their race. Do black people get offended when mostly white English rugby fans sing Swing Low, which is a Negro Spiritual which has its roots in slavery? In fact, if anything, they are helping to preserve part of a culture and language that their ancestors almost destroyed. Look at the Aussie team, I know nothing of aborigine culture from that team, but I have an insight, all be it a small one into Moari culture. 

Archived