IGNORED

"Messi jailed for 18 months for tax fraud"

Rudolf Hucker

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

... according to the BBC who are reporting Spanish sources. His prison wing will romp the inter-wing tournament this year.

Ouch!  No wonder he retired from international football.

Of course he won't serve time.

However, the striker - generally considered the best in the world currently - is unlikely to face any time in jail as a term of under two years in duration usually results in a period of probation under Spanish law.

I posed this in the other post. He isn't actually going to prison. In Spain if you're sentenced to 2 years or less and it's your first criminal offence then it just goes on to your record with no jail time. Same happened with Mascherano last year.

Suspended sentence aside, the fact that he's been charged and now has a criminal record in Spain should surely effect any travel plans he may have? A lot of people, even celebrities, struggle to travel with a criminal record. Russell Brand is a notable one, having been banned from travelling to a few countries when touring due to his criminal record.

5 hours ago, WRERE said:

I posed this in the other post. He isn't actually going to prison. In Spain if you're sentenced to 2 years or less and it's your first criminal offence then it just goes on to your record with no jail time. Same happened with Mascherano last year.

No justice there then.

5 hours ago, hodge said:

Seems to be getting the sentence that just about lets him off but still lands pretty heavily.

A 10 million fine would have been more appropriate.

5 hours ago, Gazred said:

He wont be going anywhere and his fines probably only add up to a couple of months worth of income. Hardly putting off anyone else to do the same.

Quite.

Meanwhile I think he did say he was available for international duty as long as the match was played in Spain due to his travel sickness bouts.

Archived