IGNORED

'Realistic' Bristol City Dream Team of 2016-17

Lympsham Red

Hello all,

As a big City fan I always like to fantasise about what my dream Bristol City team for this season would look like. Therefore, I thought to myself, "Why not start a thread where we can all post our dream Starting 11s for the upcoming season?". It's just a bit of fun, really, and a way to pass the time until the real football starts, I suppose. As well as being  a fantasist, however, I'm also quite the realist, and so my 'Dream Team' will only feature players that have been linked to us in some realistic capacity. So, let's start.

Bristol City Starting 11, 2016-17 season.

Formation: 4-2-3-1

Richard O'Donnell

Adam Matthews   Aden Flint   Joel Ekstrand   Scott Golbourne

Gary O'Neil   Korey Smith

Wes Burns   Lee Tomlin   Sergi Canós

Jonathan Kodjia

Agree with it all apart from Burns.. I like the lad, But I'm not at all convinced he's a championship level footballer. 

I'm not sure we can wait much longer for him to show his true potential. I see him playing most of his career in the lower leagues. 

Were a side with ambitions of the top flight and think he's one that we'll have to move on pretty soon. 

But if we can sign Canos, Matthews and Ekstrand then brilliant!  

3 hours ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Agree with it all apart from Burns.. I like the lad, But I'm not at all convinced he's a championship level footballer. 

I'm not sure we can wait much longer for him to show his true potential. I see him playing most of his career in the lower leagues. 

Were a side with ambitions of the top flight and think he's one that we'll have to move on pretty soon. 

But if we can sign Canos, Matthews and Ekstrand then brilliant!  

Think that left-wing position is a tough one to fill right now with Bryan, Burns and Freeman not impressing terribly much there last season. I went with Burns because LJ said he had been looking very good in training, but in all honesty I have no real idea who we should play there.

O'Donnell

Matthews Flint Maguire Golbourne

Smith O'Neill

Buckley Tomlin Bryan

Kodjia

Never know, we may be able to tempt Maguire if Hull look to strengthen all round could mean his first team opportunities are limited and we've made some decent signings showing our intent. Sunderland want Buckley gone as well so may not be expensive fee wise meaning higher wages could be compensated.

3 minutes ago, BristolBEAT said:

Pack and Reid completely out for everyone then? Freeman ?

One of my hopes for next season is that we'll utilise a squad a lot more than we did last year.  I think Pack in particular is an important player but he might not start every game.  That said - pending further signings - I wonder if a 3-man midfield of O'Neil, Pack and Smith might be part of our best XI at present

(something like

----------------------------------ROD

Little-----------------Flint---------------Williams--------Golbourne

------------------O'Neill------Pack-----------Smith

---------------------Tomlin-----------Bryan

-------------------------------Kodjia

Obviously, if we get the 5 signings LJ wants then that team would change significantly.

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

One of my hopes for next season is that we'll utilise a squad a lot more than we did last year.  I think Pack in particular is an important player but he might not start every game.  That said - pending further signings - I wonder if a 3-man midfield of O'Neil, Pack and Smith might be part of our best XI at present

(something like

----------------------------------ROD

Little-----------------Flint---------------Williams--------Golbourne

------------------O'Neill------Pack-----------Smith

---------------------Tomlin-----------Bryan

-------------------------------Kodjia

Obviously, if we get the 5 signings LJ wants then that team would change significantly.

If LJ likes two up top, it might be 4 across the midfield.....with Tomlin and Kodjia together, maybe Tomlin just off if him.

O'Neil has played right side before, Bryan on left, with Smith and Pack central.

Personally I think it would be a bit of a waste of O'Neil, but we'll see.

Still think it'll be 4231 at some point after Wigan, with Smith and O'Neil in the holding midfield as first choices.  Bryan on left, Tomlin in behind Kodjia....and one other on right side, possibly Freeman.

O'Donnell

Matthews Flint Baker Bryan

Burns Smith Pack Tomlin

Reid

Kodjia

I like O'Neil and Brownhill but Pack and Smith have done so well with us I would keep them as the two CMs when they are available for now

Depends whether O'Neill can keep up with the demands of a full championship season, should he need the odd rest or not fulfil 90 minutes on Saturday/Tuesdays then Pack is a more than capable cover given what we saw in the second half of the season.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 10:30, Lympsham Red said:

Hello all,

As a big City fan I always like to fantasise about what my dream Bristol City team for this season would look like. Therefore, I thought to myself, "Why not start a thread where we can all post our dream Starting 11s for the upcoming season?". It's just a bit of fun, really, and a way to pass the time until the real football starts, I suppose. As well as being  a fantasist, however, I'm also quite the realist, and so my 'Dream Team' will only feature players that have been linked to us in some realistic capacity. So, let's start.

Bristol City Starting 11, 2016-17 season.

Formation: 4-2-3-1

Richard O'Donnell

Adam Matthews   Aden Flint   Joel Ekstrand   Scott Golbourne

Gary O'Neil   Korey Smith

Wes Burns   Lee Tomlin   Sergi Canós

Jonathan Kodjia

I like that side!! Only thing id like to see is Leon Osman instead of Wes Burns what a side that would be!!

On 7 July 2016 at 19:48, Kodjia said:

O'Donnell

Matthews Flint Baker Bryan

Burns Smith Pack Tomlin

Reid

Kodjia

I like O'Neil and Brownhill but Pack and Smith have done so well with us I would keep them as the two CMs when they are available for now

New team

O'Donnell

Ayling Flint Maguire Bryan

O'Dowda Smith Pack Tomlin

Reid

Kodjia

11 minutes ago, Kodjia said:

New team

O'Donnell

Ayling Flint Maguire Bryan

O'Dowda Smith Pack Tomlin

Reid

Kodjia

Weak team, why buy Tomlin if we don't play him in his best position? Ayling and Bryan as first choice full backs?

Maguire would be a great signing but I'd be disappointed and a bit concerned if we started with that side come August. It's arguably weaker than the side that finished last season.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Weak team, why buy Tomlin if we don't play him in his best position? Ayling and Bryan as full backs?

Maguire would be a great signing but I'd be disappointed and a bit concerned if we started with that side come August. It's arguably weaker than the side that finished last season.

Tomlin's best position is on the left imo and Ayling is only in there because I can't think of a RB we could sign. Edit - just thought of a RB we could sign, Darikwa.

On 07/07/2016 at 13:55, Carey 6 said:

Bryan was 8th in the league last season for assists. He got 8 despite not taking set pieces.

and Freeman got a lot of assists however think it has to be Bryan on the left

On 07/07/2016 at 14:02, hodge said:

O'Donnell

Matthews Flint Maguire Golbourne

Smith O'Neill

Buckley Tomlin Bryan

Kodjia

Never know, we may be able to tempt Maguire if Hull look to strengthen all round could mean his first team opportunities are limited and we've made some decent signings showing our intent. Sunderland want Buckley gone as well so may not be expensive fee wise meaning higher wages could be compensated.

I like that team and would agree that that's the strongest team on the thread so far!

Archived