IGNORED

All Things - Driverless Cars

Fiale

Well we know they are coming, but there is of course a lot of debates to be had, so let's see if us Bristolian's can set the world to rights on driverless cars.

So to start of - here is a short couple of minutes test to see how your moral standard of what a driverless car should do in certain circumstances matches that of other.

http://moralmachine.mit.edu/

ScreenShot_20160708084717.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Well we know they are coming, but there is of course a lot of debates to be had, so let's see if us Bristolian's can set the world to rights on driverless cars.

So to start of - here is a short couple of minutes test to see how your moral standard of what a driverless car should do in certain circumstances matches that of other.

http://moralmachine.mit.edu/

ScreenShot_20160708084717.jpeg

Interesting, I was pretty much straight down the middle on age, gender and ability status but scored very highly on upholding the law and safety. I must be a nicer person than I thought!

8 minutes ago, RedM said:

Interesting, I was pretty much straight down the middle on age, gender and ability status but scored very highly on upholding the law and safety. I must be a nicer person than I thought!

Yes I was mostly average, but killed more law breakers than those obeying it even if it meant more people dieing. I also saved the drivers where the numbers were equal, I am not sure why, but I think it comes from the fact I am mostly a driver than pedestrian and if 4 people are going to die I would want the car I am in to preserve me and not just kill me to save others... which is a big problem, do I want to be in a car that will sacrifice me to save someone a few years younger because it's software says it's the most logical choice ?

JOB LOSSES

Well we know people will lose their jobs in some industries, but driverless cars seem to be coming at the same time as another whammy - electric vehicles.

So we will see job losses in

Taxi drivers

Truck Drivers

Bus Drivers

Bodyshop repairs (fewer accidents)

Mechanics (less moving parts and wear and tear)

Car part manufacuring and distribution / sale shops  (less moving parts and wear and tear)

Garages (driverless cars will not need garages as we have them today)

Car Washes and valeting (there will be fewer vehicles on the road)

Retail (places like Halfords selling things for your car maintenance and trinklets)

It's going to have a huge impact - the upside, quieter streets, less traffic, fewer accidents and reduced transport costs......

23 minutes ago, Fiale said:

JOB LOSSES

Well we know people will lose their jobs in some industries, but driverless cars seem to be coming at the same time as another whammy - electric vehicles.

So we will see job losses in

Taxi drivers

Truck Drivers

Bus Drivers

Bodyshop repairs (fewer accidents)

Mechanics (less moving parts and wear and tear)

Car part manufacuring and distribution / sale shops  (less moving parts and wear and tear)

Garages (driverless cars will not need garages as we have them today)

Car Washes and valeting (there will be fewer vehicles on the road)

Retail (places like Halfords selling things for your car maintenance and trinklets)

It's going to have a huge impact - the upside, quieter streets, less traffic, fewer accidents and reduced transport costs......

Doom merchant , the world progresses , that's life .

There are thousands of trades that no longer exist but have been replaced by new professions .

I know this isn't specifically about driverless cars but close enough so I wouldn't worry too much at present, I suspect that there will soon be a multi million dollar lawsuit in the US of A, there was a short piece on Newsnight last week, where somewhere in America a guy driving on a 2 lane highway with the car in driverless auto overtake mode, the software failed to recognise a white truck ahead of him in bright sunshine and hurtled into it killing the driver.

I think this is the story.

http://www.dezeen.com/2016/07/01/tesla-driver-killed-car-crash-news-driverless-car-autopilot/

49 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Doom merchant , the world progresses , that's life .

There are thousands of trades that no longer exist but have been replaced by new professions .

Also be large scale losses in car manufacturing as well as smaller losses in insurance and auto finance companies, no traffic wardens (hurray)  - with cars being used around 4% of their time or less, they also predict that there will be a reduction of 80-90% in cars even produced. BMW, VW etc will be much smaller companies, with less sales, smaller scale production -

in the US 

The effects of the autonomous car movement will be staggering. PricewaterhouseCoopers predicts that the number of vehicles on the road will be reduced by 99%, estimating that the fleet will fall from 245 million to just 2.4 million vehicles - Ancillary industries such as the $198 billion automobile insurance market, $98 billion automotive finance market, $100 billion parking industry, and the $300 billion automotive aftermarket will collapse as demand for their services evaporates.

884,000 people are employed in motor vehicles and parts manufacturing, and an additional 3.02 million in the dealer and maintenance network. Truck, bus, delivery, and taxi drivers account for nearly 6 million professional driving jobs. Virtually all of these 10 million jobs will be eliminated within 10-15 years

but your point it will be replaced by new professions - The scale of job losses will be in the millions, this is on a scale and time frame we simply have not seen as it will also be a global phenomenon, so question to you, what new professions are going to appear in the next 10-20 years that this process is likelihood to unfold in that will cater for so many low/mid skilled people ? 

33 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

What about that idiot who died watching Harry Potter, in a driverless car? Shouldn't laugh, but pride goes before a fall etc, etc. They are machines, ergo they go wrong. I'm sticking to my pushbike, cos I hate the modern world.

Or that stupid American woman who set her mobile home to cruise control on the motorway and went in the back to make a cup of tea.

Two rather predictable things happened;

It crashed

She won the court case against the manufacturer because it didn`t tell her not to do it in the manual

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Or that stupid American woman who set her mobile home to cruise control on the motorway and went in the back to make a cup of tea.

It crashed

She won the court case against the manufacturer because it didn`t tell her not to do it in the manual

There's no legislating for dumb arse Yank twattery.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It crashed

Don't believe it. Yanks don't do tea. :nono:

Archived