IGNORED

City Player makes European record

I think this record deserves a thread of it's own.

In 120 years of BCFC we have played in the English football League but also competed in the Welsh Cup which we won in the 1930's, the Anglo Scottish Cup and the Anglo Italian Cup. But never has a Bristol City player scored in a pan- European Cup until Wes Burns. So he was playing on loan for Aberdeen but nevertheless he is OUR player for the next 2-3 yrs and he has done something that no other BCFC player has done thus creating a record- a fact ( I believe) that has gone unmentioned!

Every player thrives on confidence and i hope Wes is informed of his achievement. Having come through the Academy with Joe and Bobby- he's also one of our own. Happy Days.

36 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Every player thrives on confidence and i hope Wes is informed of his achievement. Having come through the Academy with Joe and Bobby- he's also one of our own. Happy Days.

Didn't he only join our accadamy from Cardiff a few years ago..?

He certainly didn't come up through from the start with JB & BR. 

10 hours ago, fatchers said:

Surely our exploits in the Anglo Italian cup must count ? we scored 8 goals in 6 games in 1992/3 ?

The AI Cup was not pan European though. It was a bit of an oddity between a very limited number of teams from England and Italy - a sort of much smaller version of the Freight Rover Trophy originally involving only 8 teams. The Europa League ( UEFA Cup) is an entirely different matter .

9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Didn't he only join our accadamy from Cardiff a few years ago..?

He certainly didn't come up through from the start with JB & BR. 

Yes - on failure to be offered an U16 contract at Cardiff  he was immediately picked up by BCFC and joined the Academy going on to sign his first professional contract in 2012 with McInnes. I think that qualifies him as home grown and I'm gonna stick with that version and he's one of BCFC's longest serving players at age 21!

The fact still remains that he's the first ever City player to score in a pan European Cup competition.

16 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The fact still remains that he's the first ever City player to score in a pan European Cup competition.

Would be a much better fact if he was the first ever City player to score in a pan European Cup competition......for Bristol City. :facepalm:

6 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

What exactly does pan European competition mean?  Never heard that term before...

Well done Burns, now time to go on and dominate Scottish football.  Make every Saturday a Burns Night.

Think "pan" in this case is in the sense of the Greek meaning "all".  

Archived