IGNORED

Oh for Yesterday

It's different now to when I started out in 1950. But the same could be said by the old timers then. 

It is what it is; a contest between eleven a side to score more goals. The best team may not always win, upsets happen regularly and that is what makes it such a draw for me.

Part of me says I'd like it to be as it was with Big John leading our line but time only goes in one direction. So I remember with affection and nostalgia what has passed but now the only thing that matters is being there at Ashton Gate at 15.00 hours on Saturday 6th August 2016 for the start of another new season. Nine months of highs and lows, cold rain, strong winds and sunshine until early May. Bring it on! 

11 hours ago, 054123 said:

Wonderful scenes. Imo just so much better than following football today. It's purely my love for City that holds any interest in attending modern football. I just don't see anything exciting about going to a modern football game.

Is Sheedy going to curl one?....arf arf.

This thread is like going to a family gathering and my Gran saying it was better in my day. I've been watching City for 40 years and I've seen plenty of crap boring matches in every decade. Still get excited going to the game as I did 40 years ago though. I think it's a good point though that when I first started watching the only live game you could watch on TV was the FA Cup final and now you can watch it at all hours of the day 

20 hours ago, Shtanley said:

If you mean the double winning season I'd say no. More enjoyable but certainly way less exciting because it was so obvious we were going to win. I much preferred last season. I think next season could be the best for a while though. 

Interesting point to say more enjoyable but less exciting.  I see your point but Swindon at home was the most exciting and enjoyable game of the last two seasons for me.  Fulham away, Leeds and Middlesbrough home certainly were exciting and ultimately enjoyable but nothing compares to the Swindon rout (which could have been the other way around at half time).

As for saying it was "obvious we were going to win", I feel you betray your youth again :cool:.  I wasn't sure we were going to win until the fifth went in against Bradford...

I like your optimism about next season and, you know, you might just be right!

Archived