IGNORED

The Henmanians

Roger Red Hat

Why is it that the strawberry scoffing tennis t wats at wimbledon look ridiculous bedecked in their wigs, flags and face paint, when football fans dont? Maybe its a class thing, or maybe its just me come to think of it. They were even chanting '2-4-6-8 who do we appreciate' at one point!!!

Guest dez_gimred

henman is just another example of englishman bottling it..

he has ability to win this but every year he loses to nobodies from third world countries...

fustrating i guess

:city:

Third world countries like Croatia, Australia, the USA, Switzerland ?

Nobodies like Sampras, Philipoussis, Hewitt, Ivanisovic ?

And he didn't bottle it in the French Open - came back from two sets down twice. But then you wouldn't know about that, would you, cos it happened abroad.

There is no disguising Henman was woeful today but he was playing a very good player in Mario Ancic, a player who knocked the reigning champion and world number 1 Roger Federer out of Wimbledon in the 1st round two years ago, so to call him a nobody is very harsh. He is a nobody to only those who don't follow tennis all year round.

To win a grand slam is very difficult and hence why many players never win a grand slam. Year in year out Henman is built up by the media as being a "favourite" to win Wimbledon but every year he plays it down as much as he can. Mainly because the top 50 or even top 100 players in the world are of a very high standard and on a surface such as grass one slip up can cost you a set and then turn a whole match against you.

Most people just jump on the "Henmania" bandwagon when Wimbledon comes along, mainly so they can slag off Henman at the first opportunity, there however are many others who watch tennis all year round and can appreciate that he is infact the best player this country has produced for many a year and is unlikely we will have a player as good as Henman again for a very long time. Yes, he isn;t good enough to win Wimbledon and probbaly never will but he has consistently been a top 10 player for many years, that in itself is a great acheivement. However I doubt he will be fully appreciated until he has retired.

P.s Roger Red Hat (if that is indeed your real name) I find your opening line ("strawberry scoffing tennis t wats at wimbledon") very insulting to tennis fans, many of whom who like me have been to Wimbledon.

There is no disguising Henman was woeful today but he was playing a very good player in Mario Ancic, a player who knocked the reigning champion and world number 1 Roger Federer out of Wimbledon in the 1st round two years ago, so to call him a nobody is very harsh. He is a nobody to only those who don't follow tennis all year round.

To win a grand slam is very difficult and hence why many players never win a grand slam. Year in year out Henman is built up by the media as being a "favourite" to win Wimbledon but every year he plays it down as much as he can. Mainly because the top 50 or even top 100 players in the world are of a very high standard and on a surface such as grass one slip up can cost you a set and then turn a whole match against you.

Most people just jump on the "Henmania" bandwagon when Wimbledon comes along, mainly so they can slag off Henman at the first opportunity, there however are many others who watch tennis all year round and can appreciate that he is infact the best player this country has produced for many a year and is unlikely we will have a player as good as Henman again for a very long time. Yes, he isn;t good enough to win Wimbledon and probbaly never will but he has consistently been a top 10 player for many years, that in itself is a great acheivement. However I doubt he will be fully appreciated until he has retired.

P.s Roger Red Hat (if that is indeed your real name) I find your opening line ("strawberry scoffing tennis t wats at wimbledon") very insulting to tennis fans, many of whom who like me have been to Wimbledon.

Never mind JimBob(if that is indeed your real name), I'm sure it must be James Robert. As I said in my post its probably just me, and you'll find me in the phone book under 'r', I do actually have a double barreled name its just that I never bother with the hyphen. I also have been to Wimbledon.

The dog track, that is!

Easy, but I can't these people on this forum who keep slagging off Tim Henman, so what if he never wins Wimble, his career shouldn't be judged on this alone but on all the other tournaments he's won including a Paris Master Series Title last November beating Federer and Roddick on the way. It's a bloody discrase that people say he is a failure just because he hasn't won the ultimate prize in tennis apart from the Davis Cup The Men's Singles Wimbledon Title. He has been the most successfull British Tennis player for 70 years and Fred Perry and all that, and once he's gone I doubt will have anyone else as good as Tim Henman for a very long time. So just be grateful for what he has done in Tennis as it is an extremely tough sport and no guarantees of success.

re: the original question about Henmania and looking stupid- well...I don't think they do look stupid...well maybe a little cringing- but that's just being an "inverted snob".

Just because they believe in sportsmanship (ie clap the opponent too) and are from generally a higher socio-economic status- doesn't mean they can't be proud of their country/man and be partisan.

re: Henman- the criticism is harsh. Yes it's frustrating because we all know it's the best change to win Wimbledon for years and probably for years and years- HOWEVER- at least we now watch Wimbledon in the belief it might just MIGHT happen- which was never the case pre-Henman when our best hope was Jeremy Bates! IF he fails to win Wimbledon no-one will kick themselves more than Henman himself. Anyway- why moan? it's not like many of us pay money to regularly watch him. He has a right to play tennis and be as bad as he wants.

JimBOB - I couldn't have put it better myself spot on...

Tim Henman has done an immense ammount of good for British tennis over the past 8 years or so. Imagine Wimbledon without him and Rusedski?

Henman is one of the most respected players on the mens tour and currently number 6 in the world.

He's been in the top 10 for a while now and last year won the Masters in Paris, beating along the way Federer and Roddick... To be honest that Masters tourny is as good as winning a major as the calibre of players includes the 16 best in the world!

Until the LTA sorts itself out though I fear they'll be no more British players challenging for the Wimbledon title for many years to come...bearing in mind niether Henman or Rusedski even came through the LTA sysyem!

He's actually number 5 in the world on the entry ranking and number 5 on the champions race. So basically that means he's having another consistant year and backing it up by continuing to improve his entry ranking where his career best is number 4 I'm sure he will want to improve on that before he retires c-red.

Archived