IGNORED

Who would your new England captain be?

AshtonGreat

49 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I thought he was great.

Spent force in attack: blowing, moaning, failing to deliver.  Put him in midfield and he ran the game.

He ran one game. Against Russia. The rest of the tournament he was woeful. It's very depressing and very predictable to hear Allardyce say Rooney has a 'massive role' to play for England. Looks like Big Sam will be heading the same way as all the other England managers.

3 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Presuming Rooney will do the honourable thing and retire...

Why is that the "honourable thing"? Why SHOULD he retire? To make way for Wilshere, Henderson, Barkley... all those other world beaters?

Rooney should be captain.

22 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

Why is that the "honourable thing"? Why SHOULD he retire? To make way for Wilshere, Henderson, Barkley... all those other world beaters?

Rooney should be captain.

Rooney was woeful after the Russia game, and unlike the one you listed doesn't have much/any scope to improve as a player.

11 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I thought he was great.

Spent force in attack: blowing, moaning, failing to deliver.  Put him in midfield and he ran the game.

The only way Rooney ran any game at the Euros was by picking up the ball deep and or wide where he had all the time in the world.

Really hope he starts center mid for manu he will be knackered after 15 mins!!  Against the top teams the game will be to quick for him.

It's difficult to make Rooney captain because it's likely that his time with England has passed. Big Sam might be able to revive his career, but I think that's a tall order.

If it were me, I'd give it to Joe Hart. He might make mistakes at times, but he's the closest England have to a leader. Maybe even do the Italian approach that others have suggested, and have Joe Hart the official captain, but swap the armband around so that the most experienced player gets the band.

29 minutes ago, ashtonphil said:

And be replaced by whom.... Heaton, Forster...??

Who would you recommend?

29 minutes ago, ashtonphil said:

Butland, then Forster, then Heaton..........whoever..just anyone but Joe Hart. A national embarrassment. 

I cant believe people actually not only suggest picking him, but making him captain?!?

18 hours ago, FlintWonderwall said:

Exactly my thoughts. His experience to the team at this point is invaluable. He also has great vision and the ability to still score a few

As it showed at the Euro's .......................... not :disapointed2se:

19 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Gonna shout Joe Hart here. Bags of experience, happy to bark from the sticks. No scandals in the closet iirc.

Have we ever had an England goalie as captain?

Or as @Red Army Faction says, let the seniors do the democratic thing and vote.

Should be dropped the way he played in the euros. No way a guaranteed starter for me now. I'd go Dier. That word sums England up...

7 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The whole team was playing like a load of frightened children; why single out Rooney just because he has the armband?

That's the point to be in that team he needed to justify his place, he should never play for England again after the Iceland game.  I don't get the he ran the show from midfield crap, the guy hit strait ball after strait ball and couldn't take a decent corner.  He's got to go!

Archived