IGNORED

Squad numbers

Nuno Gomes

58 minutes ago, TheBigMan said:

I was 16 when he made his debut and Christ it boiled my piss seeing that. As I've gotten older I just shrug myshoulders. However players wearing ridiculously high numbers (see clubs on the continent) like 77, 80, 99 etc baffle me :D 

Mostly are d.o.b related or a combination that makes their desired number :

Ivan Zamorano: no. 1+8
Inter had an envious and very expensive strike force in the late 90s, with Roberto Baggio joining Ronaldo and Ivan Zamorano in 1998, while Christian Vieri signed for £32m a year later. However, Baggio was given Ronaldo’s no.10 shirt and the great Brazilian was then assigned Zamorano’s favoured number nine. Taking exception to this, Chile international Zamorano opted for the bizarre choice of 1+8.

Andriy Shevchenko, Mathieu Flamini and Ronaldinho: 76, 84 and 80
At Milan there was a player fad for choosing their year of birth on the back of shirts. In 2008 when Shevchenko was loaned by Chelsea to the club he served so distinctly for seven years, young striker Alexandre Pato was occupying his iconic no.7 shirt, so he asked for 76. Similarly, Clarence Seedorf was the club’s number 10, so Ronaldinho wore 80 when he left Barcelona in 2008 and Flamini picked his year of birth, 84, when signing from Arsenal in the same year. Nicola Ventola, Inter's 78, had been doing this since the start of the previous decade.

Zerouali (or something like that) wore zero on his back at Aberdeen. SPL banned it a season later.

The real reason professional footballers stick to a number is because of the hours they have spent on the team coach with pens and paper perfecting their signature with the digits incorporated into a flourish at the end. Keeping the same number also makes it easier for them to remember their password for online banking.

Here you go. Now on OS

SQUAD NUMBERS 2016/17

1 Frank Fielding
2 Mark Little
3 Joe Bryan
4 Aden Flint
5 Derrick Williams
6 Gary O'Neil
7 Korey Smith
8 Josh Brownhill
10 Lee Tomlin
11 Callum O'Dowda
12 Richard O'Donnell
13 Scott Golbourne
14 Bobby Reid
15 Luke Freeman
17 Kieran Agard
18 Aaron Wilbraham
19 Arnold Garita
20 Luke Ayling
21 Marlon Pack
22 Jonathan Kodjia
23 Hordur Magnusson
24 Max O'Leary
27 Adam Matthews

3 minutes ago, Big C said:

Here you go. Now on OS

SQUAD NUMBERS 2016/17

1 Frank Fielding
2 Mark Little
3 Joe Bryan
4 Aden Flint
5 Derrick Williams
6 Gary O'Neil
7 Korey Smith
8 Josh Brownhill
10 Lee Tomlin
11 Callum O'Dowda
12 Richard O'Donnell
13 Scott Golbourne
14 Bobby Reid
15 Luke Freeman
17 Kieran Agard
18 Aaron Wilbraham
19 Arnold Garita
20 Luke Ayling
21 Marlon Pack
22 Jonathan Kodjia
23 Hordur Magnusson
24 Max O'Leary
27 Adam Matthews

9 free? striker incoming then.............

15 minutes ago, Big C said:

Looks like Joe is being classed as Left Back and Williams as a Centre Half

Williams should never have been classed as a left back!

8 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Agard and Ayling have taken a bit of a shunting into the big numbers (previously 10 and 5 respectively)

Agard has taken a different number every season so far, hasn't he?

Doesn't mean much anymore, superstition plays more of a role in it than actual position

27 minutes ago, Big C said:

Here you go. Now on OS

SQUAD NUMBERS 2016/17

1 Frank Fielding
2 Mark Little
3 Joe Bryan
4 Aden Flint
5 Derrick Williams
6 Gary O'Neil
7 Korey Smith
8 Josh Brownhill
10 Lee Tomlin
11 Callum O'Dowda
12 Richard O'Donnell
13 Scott Golbourne
14 Bobby Reid
15 Luke Freeman
17 Kieran Agard
18 Aaron Wilbraham
19 Arnold Garita
20 Luke Ayling
21 Marlon Pack
22 Jonathan Kodjia
23 Hordur Magnusson
24 Max O'Leary
27 Adam Matthews

Alex Pearce was number 16 when on loan here last season...

He is also number 16 at Derby County...

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

JB at 3 interesting - suggests he's seen predominantly as a left back, if old school squad number convention is believed! 

johnson has said he think's joe will go on to be a prem style attacking fall back

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Excellent. Now we're inundated with them, hopefully we'll stop playing him as a central midfielder! :) 

I also think LB is his best position. 

I think it's his worst position.......currently.  Not saying he's poor there, just think he's better at Left Forward or Left Wingback (should we ever play them again).  I also think he can play on left side of a flat midfield three.

His attacking instincts, whilst great,let him down defensively.  I'd rather start the season with Golbourne at LB.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it's his worst position.......currently.  Not saying he's poor there, just think he's better at Left Forward or Left Wingback (should we ever play them again).  I also think he can play on left side of a flat midfield three.

His attacking instincts, whilst great,let him down defensively.  I'd rather start the season with Golbourne at LB.

I think he's been a bit of a victim of his own versatility.

Needs a good run in a fixed role! 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

No Vyner, De Girolamo, Dowling or Smith. A little bit surprising as I thought most of them were going to be `first team squad` this season.

They'll get numbers if/when needed as per last season.

On 7/29/2016 at 11:12, BRISTOL86 said:

Yep I think anything from 1-99 is allowed. 

I would like to see O'Donnell at 1 and Kodjia at 9. But it seems the in thing to hold onto a squad number for superstitious reasons. 

I remember even as a 14 year old being really annoyed to see Billy Mercer wearing number 2. 

On 7/29/2016 at 12:21, Woodsy said:

Was an odd one seeing Mercer wearing 2

Remember the Argies wearing their WC numbers in 78 and possibly 82 (I think) in alphabetical order, Ossie Ardiles wore #1, only a certain youngster called Maradona refused and demanded 10.....

Seems Sheffield Wednesday have gone rogue on their numbers, a nod to Mercer and the Argies in the bbc report on it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36968023

Archived