IGNORED

Similarity with us and Hull

citywest30

Just read Phelan will be in charge for their first game and made me think what on earth has gone on behind the scenes to a team that got promoted less than 2 month ago for this to have happened and for their transfer activity to be practically non-existent. Realised how similar it was to us 12 months ago minus the manager leaving. Not sure Hull will survive like we did though.

Hull seem in a bit of a hole at the moment.

The consolation ( frighteningly) is that even if they have the worst premier league campaign ever, this time next year they will be competition for us in the championship but with godzillions in the bank, making them very likely to be favourites for promotion :grr:.

24 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Hull seem in a bit of a hole at the moment.

The consolation ( frighteningly) is that even if they have the worst premier league campaign ever, this time next year they will be competition for us in the championship but with godzillions in the bank, making them very likely to be favourites for promotion :grr:.

Unless of course, we were to take their place..............:thumbsup:

Bad owners looking to get out, Bruce knew he couldn't go on with them as they weren't able to make moves for anyone (apart from an ex Reading striker on a freebie), so he left.

No one wants to buy them & now they have a few long term injuries as well & will be lucky if they can put a full squad out on the weekend for the first Premier League game of the season, they really are in a sorry state & the fact that they couldn't get Coleman or Zola to join as manager & they are left with Mike Phelan in charge say's it all.

Hull are in a far worse position. Weaker squad than last season, chairman who wants out, fans who hate him, rudderless leadership. The impetus we had from winning League 1 was far bigger than the play-off win which was a minimum target for them. They're in an almighty mess.

23 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Hull are in a far worse position. Weaker squad than last season, chairman who wants out, fans who hate him, rudderless leadership. The impetus we had from winning League 1 was far bigger than the play-off win which was a minimum target for them. They're in an almighty mess.

Should be looking to emulate Leicester City this season then?

12 hours ago, citywest30 said:

Bruce walked while Cotterill stuck it out. Either of them right or wrong? Who knows what would have happened if Cotterill had done what Bruce did?

Our owners aren't nut jobs that wanted to changed the name of the team! 

Our owner also backed cotts financially it's just his targets were a bit out of our reach and he couldn't persuade them here! 

You can't compare Bruce to cotts like that!

45 minutes ago, I am the mole said:

Our owners aren't nut jobs that wanted to changed the name of the team! 

Our owner also backed cotts financially it's just his targets were a bit out of our reach and he couldn't persuade them here! 

You can't compare Bruce to cotts like that!

No obviously it's not exactly the same but I would suggest there was more to it with Cotts than you say. I think he had a falling out with Lansdown and his demeanour in August and September was that of a pretty unhappy man.

I just wonder, if he were to have walked how our season may have panned out. I agree the new man would have/did have more support and stability from the bosses at City than the new manager at Hull will have.

I get the owner is a bit out of order wanting to change the name, but from what I've read he's done a lot for the community over the years, delivered a brand new stadium, top flight football and backed the managers he's employed.....far from being the 'crap' owners they are being made on out here

I'm sure there are plenty of clubs who would put up with such shenanigans. Safe to say that the name change is just wrong, and will probably be the lasting memory, which is a bit of a shame 

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I get the owner is a bit out of order wanting to change the name, but from what I've read he's done a lot for the community over the years, delivered a brand new stadium, top flight football and backed the managers he's employed.....far from being the 'crap' owners they are being made on out here

I'm sure there are plenty of clubs who would put up with such shenanigans. Safe to say that the name change is just wrong, and will probably be the lasting memory, which is a bit of a shame 

If memory serves the stadium fell into his lap.

Hull was unique in the Uk in still having its own city wide telephone system well into the 80s, Thatcher insisted it was sold off and the windfall was then spent by the city on the new stadium, hence the name...

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Hull was unique in the Uk in still having its own city wide telephone system well into the 80s, Thatcher insisted it was sold off and the windfall was then spent by the city on the new stadium, hence the name...

You`re right. KC stands for Kingston Communications and the company sold for a huge amount. Fair play to the City Council up there, they invested it back into the community. I`m not sure what the situation is re. ownership though, it may be owned by them still, who knows.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Good knowledge. A good businessman is a lucky businessman!

35 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

No obviously it's not exactly the same but I would suggest there was more to it with Cotts than you say. I think he had a falling out with Lansdown and his demeanour in August and September was that of a pretty unhappy man.

I just wonder, if he were to have walked how our season may have panned out. I agree the new man would have/did have more support and stability from the bosses at City than the new manager at Hull will have.

I agree that there were things behind the scenes going on that we will never fully understand! 

Cotts did act like a petulant child though imo by not putting a full subs bench out when as we seen some of the youngsters were ready for a place on the bench just for the match day experience at the least! 

Im thankful for the season before that cotts gave us but some of his actions last season were bizarre!

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Don't think he did the stadium did he? It was built by the council, hence the KC (Kingston Communications) name, Kingston Communications are a telecoms company that either are or were owned by the Council. One of the few places where you could live and not depend on BT for your phone line.

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

I don't think it's just the name anymore though. Think he's trying to sell the club and isn't investing anymore into it. Quite sure I've read that somewhere. Don't think he got the financial backing last year other than keeping most of the squad that was already in place. 

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don't think it's just the name anymore though. Think he's trying to sell the club and isn't investing anymore into it. Quite sure I've read that somewhere. Don't think he got the financial backing last year other than keeping most of the squad that was already in place. 

To be fair, look at the squad they had last year, full of ex Prem, international footballers....not sure it needed that much investment!

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

To be fair, look at the squad they had last year, full of ex Prem, international footballers....not sure it needed that much investment!

No, they got away with it last year I think. Not sure they'd be in my top 4 this year though. They were able to keep paying the Prem wages and they did and benefitted by going up. So far this summer they've lost Diame to Newcastle, Hernandez linked with Villa with a reported £10.2m buyout and Maguire linked with various other clubs. The club is getting worse by the day with no manager, losing players and an aging squad. They'll have a very bad year at this rate. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

No, they got away with it last year I think. Not sure they'd be in my top 4 this year though. They were able to keep paying the Prem wages and they did and benefitted by going up. So far this summer they've lost Diame to Newcastle, Hernandez linked with Villa with a reported £10.2m buyout and Maguire linked with various other clubs. The club is getting worse by the day with no manager, losing players and an aging squad. They'll have a very bad year at this rate. 

Absolutely, certain they will come straight back down, but they had a top squad for Championship. Was it Dawson who went off injured at AG, and they brought on Davies....not a bad replacement to have on the bench!

One of the key differences between the two clubs though, is  the locality and catchment area! Bristol is a reletively affluent southern city whilst Hull is one of the poorest areas in the country. This must one of the reasons Hull continue to get poor attendances.

That and they have to compete with a rugby league side.

22 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Absolutely, certain they will come straight back down, but they had a top squad for Championship. Was it Dawson who went off injured at AG, and they brought on Davies....not a bad replacement to have on the bench!

That's how I remember it. I also remember them being probably being the biggest team in the league(height and weight). Diame, Huddlestone and was it Meyler in midfield? All well over 6'2 then they had their good sized CB. Too good for championship last year but not good enough for prem this year. If they come down as is, they'll struggle for top 8 I think. Depends on who comes down as well though. 

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

That's how I remember it. I also remember them being probably being the biggest team in the league(height and weight). Diame, Huddlestone and was it Meyler in midfield? All well over 6'2 then they had their good sized CB. Too good for championship last year but not good enough for prem this year. If they come down as is, they'll struggle for top 8 I think. Depends on who comes down as well though. 

Didn't Livermore play in midfield that day too? I don't think you'd take them on in a punch up, that's for sure

They are another example of why we should be so greatful for Mr Lansdown. Our club is in such a great position. Anyone that moans about SL or Bristol Sport quite frankly should go and support someone else. Everything they do is in the best interest of our city, our club and our fans. Our club is not just a play thing for an egomaniac a la Cardiff, Hull, Forest, Blackburn, Leeds etc 

10 hours ago, Woodsy said:

I get the owner is a bit out of order wanting to change the name....

The name was changed yonks ago....the city is officially called Kingston upon Hull....

But I'm with you in that the owner has done loads for Hull and the community, he's been a part of Hull society for years and years, and he doesn't deserve too much criticism....

Archived