IGNORED

Away Fans

Paul Cheesey

Think it would be bad logistically. I think they'd dominate sound wise more in the Lansdown as sound reverberates really well there, right above the tunnel too. Not ideal.

I'd have redesigned the ground to have away fans in A and B of the dolman, high up. Away from action, not behind a goal, not behind the tunnel.

I'd have home fans behind each goal. Don't like how they've distributed fans really.

The 'lads' are already grouping up in the Lower West Stand next to the away fans. Not difficult to predict that would happen.

Suspect that for financial and crowd control reasons the away fans will be given the central blocks of the Atyeo sometime in the future with the wings at each end blanked off.  Should have been done from Day 1. 

Pretty sure that basing the away fans in any other location in the stadium would be problematic due to potential crowd control problems in and outside the stadium. 

1 hour ago, PaulCheesley said:

Not relishing the thought of 2500 geordies singing in the Atyeo in a couple of weeks. Why on earth don't we put them in the upper tier of the Lansdown, it the only the same as they do to teams at St James Park.

Why not? Hopefully they and us will generate a great atmosphere.

Personally don't understand this 'stick them away in the heavens somewhere' attitude. 

Just because other clubs do it, doesn't mean we should too. 

When traveling far to away games, it's pretty poor to be stuck up of of the way. 

Is just yet another way of sanitizing football. 

They should be in the opposing end, creating banter. 

2 hours ago, PaulCheesley said:

Not relishing the thought of 2500 geordies singing in the Atyeo in a couple of weeks. Why on earth don't we put them in the upper tier of the Lansdown, it the only the same as they do to teams at St James Park.

Couldn't disagree more  , bring it on  i say

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Personally I would give all the ateyo to the Geordies and us have the 3 stands! Can you imagine that with a full house!!

Well, it depends on our support in the other three stands. It's been poor at home for years, especially the last couple of years. If we sit there in silence whilst 2500 away fans drown us out, it's embarrassing.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well, it depends on our support in the other three stands. It's been poor at home for years, especially the last couple of years. If we sit there in silence whilst 2500 away fans drown us out, it's embarrassing.

I guess in hindsight this is what I am referring to. 

Yes have 2500 away fans, but lets not allow them to dominate the atmosphere!! We need to raise the noise in all parts of the ground and drown THEM out!! There was a the beginnings of it against Wigan but we can do much better.

53 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If a full house in our new Ashton gate doesn't produce a good atmosphere against Newcastle then it never will!! 

But have faith next two home league games our team will need the fans more than ever! 

Scudamore was on SSN this morning.

He said from the beginning of season 2017-2018, PL clubs will not be allowed to "banish" away fans to areas away from the pitch, as Newcastle currently do.

They will be forced to ensure away fans are adjacent to the pitch.

He mentioned that the plan was to improve the atmosphere, and that "banter" between the sets of fans is a good thing.

Just now, Spoons said:

If a full house in our new Ashton gate doesn't produce a good atmosphere against Newcastle then it never will!! 

But have faith next two home league games our team will need the fans more than ever! 

It depends on the mentality of the supporters there, but the sound does reverberate around much better now. I think, if the club had positioned the S82 group back in the South Stand - as originally proposed - the atmosphere would be fantastic. More would join in.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

It depends on the mentality of the supporters there, but the sound does reverberate around much better now. I think, if the club had positioned the S82 group back in the South Stand - as originally proposed - the atmosphere would be fantastic. More would join in.

I'm not getting involved in a s82 debate !! 

Agreed sound does seem to reverberate around stadium more now stands complete. 

If football is good on the pitch that will always help atmosphere to and I've got a good feeling were in for a good season. 

South stand acoustics are poor. can barely be heard from the Dolman. Cant see moving the lads out of the Atyeo and telling them to sit down and spread out would make it any better. probably make it worse due to the complaints it would cause. they seem hapy enough where they are and the odd belter apart amongst deserve another season in the atyeo.

3 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I'm not getting involved in a s82 debate !! 

Agreed sound does seem to reverberate around stadium more now stands complete. 

If football is good on the pitch that will always help atmosphere to and I've got a good feeling were in for a good season. 

Not really a debate, it's what was proposed and should've been honoured by the club. I've got no doubt it would have improved the atmosphere hugely.

I think good football helps to a point, but the season we were champions - bar Swindon at home - the atmosphere was pathetic considering. Granted, a big chunk of the ground was missing that season.

6 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Scudamore was on SSN this morning.

He said from the beginning of season 2017-2018, PL clubs will not be allowed to "banish" away fans to areas away from the pitch, as Newcastle currently do.

They will be forced to ensure away fans are adjacent to the pitch.

He mentioned that the plan was to improve the atmosphere, and that "banter" between the sets of fans is a good thing.

I'm really glad they are to do this, away fans should be in a decent part of the ground imo.

When I'm an away fan I hate being shoved out of the way, plus, when watching football on tv I hate it when I can't see the away fans. 

2 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

South stand acoustics are poor. can barely be heard from the Dolman. Cant see moving the lads out of the Atyeo and telling them to sit down and spread out would make it any better. probably make it worse due to the complaints it would cause. they seem hapy enough where they are and the odd belter apart amongst deserve another season in the atyeo.

What's all that 'deserve' stuff? It's the worst part of the ground. Originally, the club proposed designated blocks for our vocal support - whatever you want to call them - and didn't honour it. As a result, they've created a situation for themselves which either limits away fan revenue, or means displacing supporters again.

The best solution to start this season would have been a vocal support going into the east end corner and the family section moving back to the lower dolman where it was originally. But when this idea came up last year the club turned around and increased the family section by another block in that corner section. It's a very strange move by the club as if they don't really want the vocal support at ashton gate. Sometimes they praise the atmosphere home and away so I don't know why they have done it.

29 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I'm really glad they are to do this, away fans should be in a decent part of the ground imo.

When I'm an away fan I hate being shoved out of the way, plus, when watching football on tv I hate it when I can't see the away fans. 

Off the top of my head, I can only think of Sunderland in the PL where the away fans are up in the gods.

3 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

The best solution to start this season would have been a vocal support going into the east end corner and the family section moving back to the lower dolman where it was originally. But when this idea came up last year the club turned around and increased the family section by another block in that corner section. It's a very strange move by the club as if they don't really want the vocal support at ashton gate. Sometimes they praise the atmosphere home and away so I don't know why they have done it.

Exactly. I've always thought they want to subtlety erode these home vocal sections from existence. The result of doing this would be a horrendous home atmosphere.

Puzzlingly, the club retweeted a video of our away support at Fulham - shock horror they were nearly all stood and setting off smoke bombs! Mixed messages. 

Archived