IGNORED

If Mick Harford is the answer..

GrahamC

Just now, slartibartfast said:

Great as he was, I'd put Galley And Hughie Mcillmoyle just above and don't forget (at he other end of the pitch) Dickie Rooks .

Can't quite remember Mcilmoyle except for game when he came back with another side (Carlisle?) but Galley was my hero growing up. I am not sure when the ball started to get lighter, but the day I saw Harford head in the winner at Brentford from the edge of the penalty area, I thought thats something I don't even remember Galley doing.

Shaun Taylor was another that could really head a ball but I think the ball had been changed by then so it's difficult to judge. 

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Can't quite remember Mcilmoyle except for game when he came back with another side (Carlisle?) but Galley was my hero growing up. I am not sure when the ball started to get lighter, but the day I saw Harford head in the winner at Brentford from the edge of the penalty area, I thought thats something I don't even remember Galley doing.

Shaun Taylor was another that could really head a ball but I think the ball had been changed by then so it's difficult to judge. 

Too young for Galley and McIlmoyle so big Mick was really the first out and out hard man I saw up front and you never forget it!

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

Too young for Galley and McIlmoyle so big Mick was really the first out and out hard man I saw up front and you never forget it!

Sometimes I think that reputation hid the fact that he could play a bit as well, he was not just a hard man.

27 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Great as he was, I'd put Galley And Hughie Mcillmoyle just above and don't forget (at he other end of the pitch) Dickie Rooks .

Better than John Atyeo?

30 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Dickie Rooks. It seems every time I read the sport section of the evening post in those days it mentioned Dickie Rooks was having an injection in his big toe. It must of looked like a pin cushion by the time he hung up his boots.

22 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Ah well....... we're talking about players personally  seen. I only saw him at the fag end of his career. 

I only saw John Atyeo for about 4 years at the end of his career. Unfortunately I was probably a bit too young to realise how good he was. I expected too much and was disappointed that he only scored about 20 goals per season!

Archived