IGNORED

Why it was right to sell Ayling and Agard

tomhbcfc

Hey guys,

I've just updated my blog with a piece on why IN MY EYES it was right to sell Ayling and Agard. This is completely my own opinion and as you will see at the bottom of the article I respect both players massively, but ultimately feel it is best for both parties that they moved on. 

https://gaborstrousers.wordpress.com/2016/08/18/why-it-was-the-right-time-to-say-goodbye-to-agard-and-ayling/

Please leave any comments below on your opinion on the matter and the post.

Thanks Tom

A decent piece, and I think you've certainly highlighted the reasons why selling Ayling isn't as daft as it sounds (with our limited squad size).

I remain in the camp of believing we should have held onto Luke, unless he expressly informed the management that he wanted to leave after hearing of Leeds' interest.

I agree that selling Agard seemed wholly appropriate; as much as I wanted him to succeed in the Championship, it's clear the management didn't feel he had the ability to do so.

At the end of the day this is how the club is going to be run now.

LJ, MA will be taking a view on a player going into the last year of his contract and if we aren't going to be offering them a new deal, or they won't sign a new deal then we will be doing all we can to get our money back on them or make money on them.

Doesn't really matter if the player is rated or not by us fans, that is what will be happening so the club can be run on a more sustainable basis. Simple as.

I have a theory that these players were sold due to their lack of 'football intelligence' rather than technical ability.

It's always struck me when watching interviews with both players that they don't seem to be the brightest in the squad, and I think Johnson is such a student of the game that he will have the players doing lots of things which may have been beyond this pair.

As I say it's only a theory, but I would think Johnson would put a lot of stock into a player's decision making and reaction to things which happen on the field.

Maybe they didn't have enough about them..

Very well written piece.as was said.it was time for both to move onto pastures new.am intrigued to see how luke gets on at leeds.they have huge potential just a case of whether they can fulfil and finally give their fans something to cheer.i personally hope they don't . but wish kieran and luke all the best in their respective divisions.

49 minutes ago, WestfieldRed said:

I have a theory that these players were sold due to their lack of 'football intelligence' rather than technical ability.

It's always struck me when watching interviews with both players that they don't seem to be the brightest in the squad, and I think Johnson is such a student of the game that he will have the players doing lots of things which may have been beyond this pair.

As I say it's only a theory, but I would think Johnson would put a lot of stock into a player's decision making and reaction to things which happen on the field.

Tomlin though?

@Scrumpy You're right there are a few in the squad who test the theory! Especially the French lads with the language barrier.

Johnson's comments about Kodjia when he first arrived highlighted his lack of tactical knowledge. Obviously those players with a higher skill level can be afforded a little more time, but if you're on the fringes of the squad you need something to set you apart.

1 hour ago, Scrumpy said:

Tomlin though?

1 hour ago, WestfieldRed said:

@Scrumpy You're right there are a few in the squad who test the theory! Especially the French lads with the language barrier.

Johnson's comments about Kodjia when he first arrived highlighted his lack of tactical knowledge. Obviously those players with a higher skill level can be afforded a little more time, but if you're on the fringes of the squad you need something to set you apart.

Well I think the theory applies 'football intelligence' specifically. LJ recently said that in that regard Tomlin is well above the level we're playing at. 

2 hours ago, WestfieldRed said:

This is a really interesting theory Westfield.  Seems plausible.

I do worry a bit that if hoped for future signings do not materialise, the club could end up in the same sort of position as last summer. Well not quite, but what happens if nobody comes in? We will have a very thin squad until at least Christmas. :blink: Oh well I'm sure it will all work itself out. :dunno:

Selling them is fine providing you replace with better quality. Despite much trumpeting of the success of our summer activity I look at it and conclude we have done enough to tread water. We certainly haven't got a squad that can push comfortably into the top half.

5 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

£1.2 million for Ayling I could understand as he has clear talent, if he was a striker his skill level would see him play at the highest level imho but that price for Agard is absolutely fantastic and if true we have literally robbed MK Dons of a ridiculous amount of monies.

That's the way the market works now. MK were desperate for a proven goal scorer at their level so they had to pay the price to get one.

Imagine if they had argued over a couple hundred grand and not got him. 

The old saying rings true, you're worth whatever someone is willing to pay for you.

Did most of us think these guys were sold to make room for more players?

Another defender to cover at RB / central defence (LJ says we need more cover); and we need cover in the form of Wilbraham / a hold-up striker.

I don't mind these guys leaving as long as we continue to strengthen.

AND we have the money from Palarce coming .............

Two more quality signings are we are nearly done!

:dance:

Uncle TFR

4 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

Ayling will be missed.....The man was a city hero but Cheltenham did not help him.

Hes a top, top bloke hence why I wished him the best at the end of the article. That interview is brilliant 'the keeper messed up bless him' always gets to me

Just now, tomhbcfc said:

Hes a top, top bloke hence why I wished him the best at the end of the article. That interview is brilliant 'the keeper messed up bless him' always gets to me

Does this mean the lads will now be welcome at the Cheltenham festival.

LJ has the rest of the squad toilet-trained now, so there should be no need for everyone else to take umbrellas.

:badmood:

Yep, that IS yellow rain.

Uncle TFR

1 minute ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Does this mean the lads will now be welcome at the Cheltenham festival.

LJ has the rest of the squad toilet-trained now, so there should be no need for everyone else to take umbrellas.

:badmood:

Yep, that IS yellow rain.

Uncle TFR

Obviously I condemn the actions at Cheltenham but he seems like a very nice chap just a bit dim

23 hours ago, WestfieldRed said:

In a brief conversation I had with Luke Ayling towards the end of last season, he told me "The gaffer doesn't seem to rate me". He offered no further clarity than that. I got the impression he was resigned to leaving the club at that point.

Lovely guy.

Just now, NeilS said:

Why dim? He has a stutter, that is not a factor, he is a genuinely nice guy and liked in the game, not 'dim' at all.

He was involved in an incident where someone urinated in a bottle then proceeded to chuck it off a ledge. That's dim for lacking common sense to realise the repercussions - has nothing to do with a stutter

On 18 August 2016 at 09:17, WestfieldRed said:

I think most footballers are thick as shit, aren't they? And as for Johnson being a student of the game, let's not forget what happened the last time we had an 'intelligent' manager (SOD). Shudder!!

9 hours ago, tomhbcfc said:

He was involved in an incident where someone urinated in a bottle then proceeded to chuck it off a ledge. That's dim for lacking common sense to realise the repercussions - has nothing to do with a stutter

To be honest, the signage for the gents bogs at Cheltenham must have been deficient.

Given the same hardship, I am sure any decent person would have done the same.

Last year, I could not find the signs to the bogs at the Royal Albert Hall, so I simply crapped on the nearest people I could find. They understood my difficulty straight away, and I got a £500 good-will payment from the operators, and a written apology.

At the end of the day, I've got a bloody well paid job, I work hard, so I see no reason not to behave like this in MY spare time.

:innocent06:

Uncle TFR

Archived