IGNORED

Celtic - In Trouble again

Super

2 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Taking aside any personal opinions on both Celtic fans and the Israel-Palestine situation, in what way is this offensive? Provocative, certainly. But it's not offensive 

It's offensive because it's designed to be offensive.

Like singing "where's your wife?" to a recently divorced player.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It's offensive because it's designed to be offensive.

Like singing "where's your wife?" to a recently divorced player.

How is it anything like that? It's displaying the flag of a nation/quasi-nation that is recognised by the Israeli state. Provocative, definitely; it's showing solidarity with a group of people with whom Israel is in conflict. But it's not offensive

The Green Brigade- for all their many, many, many faults- actually have a history of supporting the Palestinian cause and similar causes, so clearly it's more than just a mindles act of offensiveness

15 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Taking aside any personal opinions on both Celtic fans and the Israel-Palestine situation, in what way is this offensive? Provocative, certainly. But it's not offensive 

They choose to hold up Palestine flags for 1 reason ... To offend the fans of the club they played last night. That's why it's offensive. Doesn't need a brain surgeon to work that out.

4 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

How is it anything like that? It's displaying the flag of a nation/quasi-nation that is recognised by the Israeli state. Provocative, definitely; it's showing solidarity with a group of people with whom Israel is in conflict. But it's not offensive

The Green Brigade- for all their many, many, many faults- actually have a history of supporting the Palestinian cause and similar causes, so clearly it's more than just a mindles act of offensiveness

You speak like it's a single entity like a political movement.

So you think every one of those holding up the flags is doing it because through a lengthy study of the history of the middle east they have come to the conculsion that morally they should be showing solidarity with the Palestinian cause, or, as I would have it, that they have been told that it is a good way to wind up and offend the opposition?

I know that there is an element of Palestinian support up there and that whatever town George Galloway was mayor of used to fly that flag; I do read newspapers.

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You speak like it's a single entity like a political movement.

So you think every one of those holding up the flags is doing it because through a lengthy study of the history of the middle east they have come to the conculsion that morally they should be showing solidarity with the Palestinian cause, or, as I would have it, that they have been told that it is a good way to wind up and offend the opposition?

I know that there is an element of Palestinian support up there and that whatever town George Galloway was mayor of used to fly that flag; I do read newspapers.

So what you're saying is that despite there being a history of support for this particular issue within this particular group of fans, which has been expressed at matches which have absolutely nothing to do with Israel or Palestine, this particular occasion was motivated entirely by malice for the opposition? It may well have been a contributory factor, but it's certainly not the whole story

Just now, chipdawg said:

So what you're saying is that despite there being a history of support for this particular issue within this particular group of fans, which has been expressed at matches which have absolutely nothing to do with Israel or Palestine, this particular occasion was motivated entirely by malice for the opposition? It may well have been a contributory factor, but it's certainly not the whole story

Who said "entirely"?  Primarily motivated by malice would be my description.

47 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Astounding.

celtic-palestine-flags_3767119.jpg?20160

What a nasty bunch of fans. It's not like it's just the odd one as I was expecting.

Rights and wrongs of the Levantine situation aside this is just thinking "How can I be really offensive?".

Edit: their opponents were Hapoel Be'er Sheva, an Israeli team.

Just now, Eddie Hitler said:

Who said "entirely"?  Primarily motivated by malice would be my description.

Not really a great deal of nuance regarding the history of the subject in your first post on the thread Eddie

1 minute ago, chipdawg said:

Not really a great deal of nuance regarding the history of the subject in your first post on the thread Eddie

I was expecting one or two flags prior to seeing the picture; in that case I woudl have put your interpretation upon it.

Having seen the picture it is typical scumbag Celtic fans.  If they were playing a US team they'd be waving ISIS flags.

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I was expecting one or two flags prior to seeing the picture; in that case I woudl have put your interpretation upon it.

Having seen the picture it is typical scumbag Celtic fans.  If they were playing a US team they'd be waving ISIS flags.

Fair enough, though I think you underestimate the level of organisation that exists within that group of fans. I'm in no way a fan of Celtic or their hardcore fans, I just think there is more to this than trying to wind up the opposition. I think if they'd really wanted to upset the other team and their fans they could have been more provocative than holding up a flag

Just now, chipdawg said:

Fair enough, though I think you underestimate the level of organisation that exists within that group of fans. I'm in no way a fan of Celtic or their hardcore fans, I just think there is more to this than trying to wind up the opposition. I think if they'd really wanted to upset the other team and their fans they could have been more provocative than holding up a flag

I think they'd have been thrown out then because they couldn't put a justification upon it.

Glad that nobody has dived into the politics of it (which I don't think are hugely relevant to this anyway) or the thread would have been shunted into non-football.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I think they'd have been thrown out then because they couldn't put a justification upon it.

Glad that nobody has dived into the politics of it (which I don't think are hugely relevant to this anyway) or the thread would have been shunted into non-football.

Possibly, but again that comes down to how you view the basis of their actions. The only ones that know are The Green Brigade I suppose, though I think they have minuted meetings to decide these things so it may be a matter of public record!

Agreed. Our personal views on the political situation don't really matter in this case

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....they also support the IRA 

Yep; one of the aforementioned many, many, many faults and the reason I have no time for that team or those fans. But in this particular case there is a history and a context that I felt should be introduced to the debate 

Just now, chipdawg said:

Yep; one of the aforementioned many, many, many faults and the reason I have no time for that team or those fans. But in this particular case there is a history and a context that I felt should be introduced to the debate 

Fair comment - I just don't have any time for that club or its fans - that 'Bloodstained poppies' banner around Remembrance Day, chanting vile abuse at our troops at The Emirates - etc etc etc etc etc

1 minute ago, chipdawg said:

The context being that they think Hamas are damn fine chaps and they really hate the joooz?

1 minute ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

The context being that they think Hamas are damn fine chaps and they really hate the joooz?

The context being that they've shown support and fund raised for Palestine in the past. You can disagree with them doing so if you like (though as myself and Eddie H just said, we should probably keep that to one side), but it's relevant where people think the flags are purely an act of aggression towards the opposition 

6 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

What place does it have in football though? 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What place does it have in football though? 

Who are we to say? Celtic fans have no right to tell us what to do in our stadium, who are we to tell them what to do in theirs? If they broke a law then the authorities will come down on them (and despite my defence of their actions, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some unsavoury chants at Celtic Park last night), but I don't think displaying a flag recognised by the UK, Israel, The EU and the UN is going to break a law

2 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

The context being that they've shown support and fund raised for Palestine in the past. You can disagree with them doing so if you like (though as myself and Eddie H just said, we should probably keep that to one side), but it's relevant where people think the flags are purely an act of aggression towards the opposition 

The Guardian would have gone into meltdown, if for example Rangers fans had displayed Stars Of David if playing a (purely hypothetical) Palestinian side. Where do we draw the line? And just being terrorist fundraisers does not legitimise anything.

Archived