Closest Premier League ground to Ashton Gate

Andre_The_Giant

3 minutes ago, Lord Spandex said:

Using that...

Bournemouth

As the crow flies: 95.6 km (59.4 miles)
Driving: 120.1 km (74.6 miles)

Southampton

As the crow flies: 104.4 km (64.9 miles)
Driving: 165.6 km (102.9 miles)

Swansea

As the crow flies: 93.7 km (58.2 miles)
Driving: 130.2 km (80.9 miles)

West Brom

As the crow flies: 127.3 km (79.1 miles)
Driving: 149 km (92.6 miles)

So Swansea, Bournemouth, Southampton, WBA in that order, both as the crow flies and on roads - assuming nothing else sneaks in between.

That tool gives precisely the same distance from Ashton Gate Stadium to the Liberty Stadium and Dean Court (rather than city to city) so unfortunately it doesn't answer the question.

I have checked another tool and based on postcode it would appear the Liberty Stadium, Swansea is closest by some 200 metres or so.

Completely pointless all this I know, but got me going :laugh:

8 hours ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

That tool gives precisely the same distance from Ashton Gate Stadium to the Liberty Stadium and Dean Court (rather than city to city) so unfortunately it doesn't answer the question.

I have checked another tool and based on postcode it would appear the Liberty Stadium, Swansea is closest by some 200 metres or so.

Completely pointless all this I know, but got me going :laugh:

I reckon you've highlighted the fact that Swansea are the team who have our position in the top tier, we need to oust them at once, for the sake of Bristol and England.  Then we can hoover up all the fans in between and push them back down to league one and league two.

Never thought I'd live in a world where Swansea are an established Prem team.

9 hours ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

My mate's just opened a can of worms...

Obviously we'll be Premier league soon enough but AS THE CROW FLIES which current Premier League ground is closest to Ashton Gate? That's Ashton Gate Stadium rather than the centre of Bristol.

What I don't get is why the distance measured is by the flight of a crow? Couldn't another bird be asked to do it? 

6 minutes ago, allyolly said:

What I don't get is why the distance measured is by the flight of a crow? Couldn't another bird be asked to do it? 

I've just looked it up as was curious too. Apparently ships out at sea used to carry crows in case they weren't sure where nearest land was(example, in fog). They would release a crow which would head in the direction of nearest land as they despise water. So a crow out a sea would fly in a direct line to the nearest land. Also leading to the phrase "crows nest" on ships. No idea if it's correct. I got it from the Internet. 

11 hours ago, Neo said:

It is handy - Southampton 63.5 and Swansea 59.5

In my defence I forgot that Welsh teams were in the the English league :fear:

What is this bollocks about the ENGLISH Football League. It's THE Football League, FFS. There's three Welsh clubs in it, but that's not the main point. The point is that it was the only football league when it was founded. It's like British stamps not having the country's name on them because we invented the bloody things :grr:

Nurse! My medication, please!!

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I reckon you've highlighted the fact that Swansea are the team who have our position in the top tier, we need to oust them at once, for the sake of Bristol and England.  Then we can hoover up all the fans in between and push them back down to league one and league two.

Never thought I'd live in a world where Swansea are an established Prem team.

Don't think there are many fans on a crow's path between Bristol and Swansea. The lighthouse keeper on Flatholm perhaps?

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

We have a great catchment area if we get into the Premiership and being on both the M4 and M5 is a added bonus. I often wonder just how big we could be if we had years of success behind us.

We would be massive.

All we need is 10+ years of huge success and 'we are there'.

Why make things difficult?

Uncle TFR

15 hours ago, Ben4BCFC said:

Using that...

Bournemouth

As the crow flies: 95.6 km (59.4 miles)
Driving: 120.1 km (74.6 miles)

Southampton

As the crow flies: 104.4 km (64.9 miles)
Driving: 165.6 km (102.9 miles)

Swansea

As the crow flies: 93.7 km (58.2 miles)
Driving: 130.2 km (80.9 miles)

West Brom

As the crow flies: 127.3 km (79.1 miles)
Driving: 149 km (92.6 miles)

So Swansea, Bournemouth, Southampton, WBA in that order, both as the crow flies and on roads - assuming nothing else sneaks in between.

Being pedantic ... that isn't the order on roads, only as the crow flies, it says bournemouth, swansea, WBA then southampton to drive

Archived