IGNORED

Just back

Turner&Taylor

Freeman had a decent first half...linked up well with Golbourne in the first half, if not a little non-committal of his opponent.  Second half he went down the outside and clipped a ball to the back post where Tammy got blocked.  The frustrations came when he moved to the right.  Not saying he was brill on left, but glimpses were there.

I'd start Kodjia up top on his own or with Abraham on Tuesday, hoping he'll get back on the goal trail.

3 hours ago, billywedlock said:

LJ is learning his trade, he is IMHO messing with formation and team far too much. I read before that a change in formation 5 times in a game was good, as he looks to change things. I cannot agree, the squad needs to know what they are doing. Very early days, but it seems to me, we have some quality players, but LJ has not worked out how to use them yet. We will, and LJ will, get better as the season goes on. Barnsley fans said he did the same there last season , until it finally clicked. We don't seem to create much, which is strange when looking at the team sheet. Of course we have played two good sides, thank god we got those 6 points early doors or we would have been bottom fodder again. We will get better for sure. 

Would we have those 6 points without changing formation during the games?

The answer, is probably No. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Would we have those 6 points without changing formation during the games?

What separates teams at the top is the ability to adapt within play. Clearly LJ is trying to achieve an ability within his team to play a different way when required.

Korey Smith is a big miss and not having Joe was a real issue, however we compete well and despite losing to Norwich and Newcastle (the favourites to win/romp the division) we acquitted ourselves well and have two of our most difficult games done...Lets see where we get to over the next six games and who we spend our money on this week/next!

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

What separates teams at the top is the ability to adapt within play. Clearly LJ is trying to achieve an ability within his team to play a different way when required.

Korey Smith is a big miss and not having Joe was a real issue, however we compete well and despite losing to Norwich and Newcastle (the favourites to win/romp the division) we acquitted ourselves well and have two of our most difficult games done...Lets see where we get to over the next six games and who we spend our money on this week/next!

Couldn't put it better myself. 

You our are clearly a man of equal genius. 

10 hours ago, HitchinRed said:

The Sunday Times only gave Freeman 4 out of 10. It also only gave O'Neil 5, so I'm not sure what match the reporter was watching. I would have given Freeman 5 and O'Neil 8, but I'm not an expert journalist

16 minutes ago, cynic said:

The expert journalist probably wasn't even there, if he was then he certainly isn't an expert.

Gary O'Neil was the best player on the pitch yesterday - cracking bit of business by LJ and MA and once Korey Smith is up and running we'll have the basis of a solid midfield.

Magnusson was impressive as was Flint but Matthews looked way off the pace before he went off and Gayle was trying his luck out there while once it became apparent. Little came on and did ok, it was obvious that he is low on confidence with few trademark forward runs and it can do no good at all to have people slagging him off or groaning as soon as he misplaces a pass - never happens with other players. He's this seasons scapegoat with Freeman running him a close second.

I felt we matched them but didn't have enough in the final third to worry them - which was a shame as their keeper was a bit dodgy and if we had tested him a bit more we could have got something from the game. At the other end, ROD was slightly less busy and didn't need to make a save apart from the goal.

For me, playing Kodjia wide in order to accommodate Abraham doesn't work and LJ is falling into the trap of trying to shoehorn his best players into the side at the expense of his best team. Bit like Roy at the Euros.

But overall its good to see that we can at least compete with these teams and it must give the squad confidence going forward. 

Good post, that.

13 hours ago, leadman said:

put tammy on the bench. kodj up top lee in behind, I think we may need to reshuffle again when Korey is fit, plenty of square pegs in round holes at the moment.

I agree with this , people have said we have to look after Tammy and not over play him. For Tuesday's cup game I'd   play JK up on his own and LT just behind (I think he needs to play himself into some kind of form). Give Odowda a full 90 and maybe put Oniel on the bench and hope he's not needed . Tuesday is a good time to experiment and hopefully get JK scoring.

Archived