IGNORED

Do we need a right back before window closes?

INCRED

With Matthews out for what looks like a couple of months and only Little to step in, should LJ go and get someone on loan before the window closes?

With Little more suited to wing back as opposed to a normal RB position and teams targeting that side of the pitch against us can we afford not to cover off until Matthews/Vyner are fit again?

8 minutes ago, INCRED said:

With Matthews out for what looks like a couple of months and only Little to step in, should LJ go and get someone on loan before the window closes?

With Little more suited to wing back as opposed to a normal RB position and teams targeting that side of the pitch against us can we afford not to cover off until Matthews/Vyner are fit again?

Yes, unless LJ thinks someone else in our squad can play there (besides Little).

3 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

We had someone who could play in that position but sold him recently.

Yes!  LJ admitted that mistake on RB yesterday, still how was he to know that Matthews would pull his hamstring in the other leg this time.  Mind you, I think as he was injured for some time last season with a hamstring in the other leg, they should have looked at other options.  Are we allowed to send him back to Sunderland if LJ manages to get another player on loan?

4 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

LJ has been great this window and it has been a huge success but this just strikes as a big error 

It was presumably based on a gamble that Matthews would be fit  and stay that way and it appears to have backfired massively !!

Who would want to come here knowing they will be second fiddle if not third when Matthews is finally ready. Nobody who would cost less than we sold Ayling for sure !!

14 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

Never thought Ayling was good enough to be a regular starter for us in this division - great when rampaging forward but not tracking back and leaving gaps far too often. If Matthews can't be relied on then we need to get someone in as soon as possible, preferably on a permanent deal.

From the tone of LJ's comments on the radio he is clearly very angry by the whole Matthews position. He only let Luke A go predicated on Matthews being fit. I'm very sceptical on his physical condition and wonder if he was hiding an injury or declaring himself fit. Sunderland were just too keen to offload him (he wasn't even allowed to train with their first team). I'm just so glad we only got him on loan. I fear  he won't play regularly for City. 

So LJ will now have to go back into the market for another right back late in the window. Far from ideal.

11 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Yes!  LJ admitted that mistake on RB yesterday, still how was he to know that Matthews would pull his hamstring in the other leg this time.  Mind you, I think as he was injured for some time last season with a hamstring in the other leg, they should have looked at other options.  Are we allowed to send him back to Sunderland if LJ manages to get another player on loan?

In the transcript I read he actually said Matthews' injury made it look like a mistake but it was in fact right for the club and the player. I've said elsewhere that I suspect he was required to recoup some money. There was more to be made selling Ayling than Little let's face it. He went on to say we would have to get a right back in but Prem clubs would expect their players to play and a permanent transfer would be expensive.

Of transfers he said there were irons in the fire but nothing close. I suspect we may try to muddle through and we could be a right back, centre back and striker short until January..

32 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Vyner is nowhere near ready for the championship.

Luke Ayling played the full game for Leeds yesterday, in the Championship, against a very good Sheff Weds team.

Big mistake selling him, and I felt this immediately upon the hearing the transfer rumour, not just after Matthews has been injured again in his career.

I shake my head as a fan sometimes when things happen that make no sense.  Luke Ayling should not have been sold. 

Sorry it makes perfect sense to me. Ayling wasn't up to it in our team,as assessed by coaches (and indeed many on Otib).  Matthews was only a stop gap loan for this year.  Long term, Vyner? Shorter term Ekstrand?

Lee has made it clear he is on lookout for a new right back.  End of Matthews here I suspect.  Attitude wrong?

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

Never thought Ayling was good enough to be a regular starter for us in this division - great when rampaging forward but not tracking back and leaving gaps far too often. If Matthews can't be relied on then we need to get someone in as soon as possible, preferably on a permanent deal.

Exactly this. Little isn't good enough to start long term for us and neither was Ayling. We got good money for a guy that probably wasn't going to be here next year anyway. Someone rated similarly to Little from managements standpoint. Who would've thought Matthews first league start he would do his hamstring and be out up to 3 months? You can't plan for that. Luckily it happened in August and it can be corrected. 

Definately need someone in now though. Just until january. Or maybe put Joe Bryan out there. Good with both feet but never really sees that side of the pitch so would probably be a gamble there. 

19 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Luke Ayling played the full game for Leeds yesterday, in the Championship, against a very good Sheff Weds team.

Big mistake selling him, and I felt this immediately upon the hearing the transfer rumour, not just after Matthews has been injured again in his career.

I shake my head as a fan sometimes when things happen that make no sense.  Luke Ayling should not have been sold. 

Before we go making judgements again perhaps we could just acknowledge that we are never in possession of all the facts .

Fact .

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Before we go making judgements again perhaps we could just acknowledge that we are never in possession of all the facts .

Fact .

One of the problems of being on the outside looking in.  But what facts are we missing, did something go on behind the scenes?

And, many people mention Cheltenham, but I studied all available footage of Luke's involvement and don't feel he had a lot to answer for.

I know the obvious answer is we had to sell because the money on the table from Leeds was too good, but I would have preferred us to retain the services of the player, rather than the cash.

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

One of the problems of being on the outside looking in.  But what facts are we missing, did something go on behind the scenes?

And, many people mention Cheltenham, but I studied all available footage of Luke's involvement and don't feel he had a lot to answer for.

That's your opinion though, the other opinion that really matters aside from LJ is Lansdown. Perhaps he took a bit of a dim view of it, especially coinciding with the rebuild being completed. The Cheltenham incident isn't very 'Bristol sport'.

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I know the obvious answer is we had to sell because the money on the table from Leeds was too good, but I would have preferred us to retain the services of the player, rather than the cash.

I doubt the money was anything obscenely good either. I think his card has been marked since Cheltenham and SL wanted him gone. If LJ didn't want him here or rated him, he probably wouldn't have started him vs Wigan.

Forget Ayling, it was time for him to move on and we got decent money. That's history.

A RB will be added to our shopping list now, expect three in at least now and things will start to move as we get closer to the window and the Prem teams start finalising their transfer buisness and squads.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's your opinion though, the other opinion that really matters aside from LJ is Lansdown. Perhaps he took a bit of a dim view of it, especially coinciding with the rebuild being completed. The Cheltenham incident isn't very 'Bristol sport'.

I doubt the money was anything obscenely good either. I think his card has been marked since Cheltenham and SL wanted him gone. If LJ didn't want him here or rated him, he probably wouldn't have started him vs Wigan.

It is that start against Wigan that confuses things, why trust a guy enough to start a player in the league, win the game, and then oust him from the club?

I know it's too late now, and he's already onto pastures new, but I feel we needed to keep him in the squad.  Not sure why Cheltenham would've been too damning for Luke, wasn't his crime just being stood close to a man doing something pathetic, and grinning at the buffoon's crude actions?

If we can get in a right sided defender, maybe we would go back to 3-5-2? 

I consider that this could, not will, be a better system for us with the midfielders we have available now. Alternatively we could put Korey Smith there, again because we have a better choice of central midfielders than when we played this formation under SC.

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

Fair comment about Ayling but still head and shoulders above Little. LJ has done some really good business over the summer so it's only fair to permit him a mistake. 

Regarding the question from the OP. It's essential we sign/loan someone in this window. Painfully lacking in that right back position

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

It is that start against Wigan that confuses things, why trust a guy enough to start a player in the league, win the game, and then oust him from the club?

I know it's too late now, and he's already onto pastures new, but I feel we needed to keep him in the squad.  Not sure why Cheltenham would've been too damning for Luke, wasn't his crime just being stood close to a man doing something pathetic, and grinning at the buffoon's crude actions?

So we could sell him as a first team player perhaps, add a bit of value, squeeze every penny out of Leeds? 

Timing Matthews injury isn't good, but when is it a good time for players to be injured in reality. Trouble is Matthew's replacement, Little,  is just as likely to be injured himself soon ( no I'm not jinxing things, just stating facts on his playing availability with us).

we do seem a bit thin now Agard and Ayling have gone, I was hoping we would have announced some incoming players at the end of last week. I don't know anything, just hope in this case, but it wasn't to be.

The reality is that this is bad timing after Ayling's sale but, at the same time, the reality was we'd ultimately need to get two new right-backs in as, whilst I've a massive soft spot for Little because it was his dribble down the right on his debut that got our first goal in our promotion season, he's not going to be the long-term solution in the Championship.  I really hope SL frees up some contingency funds rather than this limiting our ability to get the centre-back we definitely and additional attacking player we probably need.  I'm still optimistic that we'll get to the 1st September with at least one more player through the door but I hope it's three, rather than two or one.  Unless we get someone who can play CB/RB...

Archived