IGNORED

Ball Boy Redundancies

Abraham Romanovich

I must have missed this announcement but after spending all this money on a stadium and new players why on earth was this cost cutting measure introduced.

There appears to be not one situated in front of the Dolman and several times Newcastle players were able to amble over and pick up the ball at a leisurely pace before play proceeded.

Time wasting is bad enough but to have this excuse whilst we were chasing the game is bizarrre in the extreme.

9 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

Something about not sitting in front of the advertising, apparently.

I don't know how they would interfere with my ability to see 'Thatchers' going around the pitch if they did sit in front of the new hoardings.

Can't understand it myself. There's plenty of run off area too.

The solution is simple.  Ballboys need to be trained to run at the same speed as the adverting moves so they dont obscure this valuable revenue stream.  

Maybe even colour code their clothing to merge into the advertising.  Or dress them up in sausage dog suits to advertise Vitality.

14 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

Something about not sitting in front of the advertising, apparently.

I don't know how they would interfere with my ability to see 'Thatchers' going around the pitch if they did sit in front of the new hoardings.

Can't understand it myself. There's plenty of run off area too.

That's what I've been told, too.

Seems like giving the opposition a licence to waste time, to me.

This happened a few years back. Ball boys used to have free entry, it was decided that as they were fans anyway, there could be a loss of income. They introduced the academy lads as ball boys, the younger ones sat where they were told to and didn't throw the ball back, the older ones soon ended up chatting to each other in the corners. Both resulted in the game slowing and us being in a situation where, we either wanted the ball back quickly (chasing the game) or, wanted it back slowly. Cotterill improved it in his time here, now the money men have decided to choose finance over football once more. It seems that every decision the club makes is with finance at the forefront, rather than football at the forefront, with finance in mind. Every decision taken should be preceded with the forethought of, will this help the team.

What's wrong with having ball boys leaning over the hoardings and hurrying up the play when needed?

2 hours ago, Rich said:

What's wrong with having ball boys leaning over the hoardings and hurrying up the play when needed?

Perhaps they're worried about the little darlings falling headfirst over the boards.

Archived