IGNORED

Ashton Gate to close due to 40% reduction in football

Big Red Rich

I had a letter about the bank closures a couple of days ago, didn't read past the first few lines so I wasn't aware it was because of a lack of football. So thank you Evil Post. I'm heading up there soon with my football to have a kickabout, anyone want to join me in a Flashmob?

On second thoughts maybe I shouldn't ask that on here, I know what some of you are like! 

The banks here in Australia decided years ago that customers coming into their bank were a nuisance and so made it extremely difficult to actually access a bank via a teller during lunch breaks, the time most people could visit.

As a result (and changes in technology eg paying bills by mobile phones) hardly anyone visits a bank anymore.So they can lay off staff and make even more money to pay out in bonuses to the managers they decide to keep.

I guess Britain is the same. Never occurs to them to reduce bank charges with the savings though.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Still have find memories of the old EP seller outside the Hippodrome yelling "Eeeeeee Po" every teatime. "the paper all Bristol asked for and helped to create" it used to say on the front, if only they knew. 

Or the hawker outside Dixons from back in the day.

'Evening Post, 3 starrrrrrrrrrr. 3 star, Evening Post'.

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Still have find memories of the old EP seller outside the Hippodrome yelling "Eeeeeee Po" every teatime. "the paper all Bristol asked for and helped to create" it used to say on the front, if only they knew. 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Or the hawker outside Dixons from back in the day.

'Evening Post, 3 starrrrrrrrrrr. 3 star, Evening Post'.

My memory is somewhere inbetween: "Free STAH PO, FREE STAH!!" Back when it was worth reading....

4 hours ago, Be ashamed said:

The banks here in Australia decided years ago that customers coming into their bank were a nuisance and so made it extremely difficult to actually access a bank via a teller during lunch breaks, the time most people could visit.

As a result (and changes in technology eg paying bills by mobile phones) hardly anyone visits a bank anymore.So they can lay off staff and make even more money to pay out in bonuses to the managers they decide to keep.

I guess Britain is the same. Never occurs to them to reduce bank charges with the savings though.

British banks haven't restricted opening at peak times  -  they even reopened on Saturdays and extended hours from a general 3.30 pm to a general 5pm.

However, cash machines and the Internet means footfall (with an f!) has fallen dramatically. Generally speaking it's the elderly who go in most now. So - use it or lose it, but people generally don't need to use it any more.

h

Archived