IGNORED

Away Fans - part Ii

Meh

I read the previous thread about away fans in hospitality and kicking off when they over-celebrated and it got me thinking about pre-match as I'm generally intrigued what views are in terms of what home fans think is allowable pre-match as I have no idea where away fans go.

I see the occasional away fans walking down winterstoke and nobody seems at all interested and very much live and let live but where does that stop for some?

For example we have a fan zone outside now - what would the attitude be if a group of villa fans in villa shirts rocked up today and just stood in the middle drinking beers and having a chat like groups of city fans do. Would people think this is a liberty or not care?

If not care then what would cause that to change? If they were in stone island type lad wear and not shirts? If they started getting louder and a bit brash as the drink kicked in? If they started singing Villa songs?

I suppose, in short, at what point, if any, would they piss you off enough to get you to the point where you want them stewards to move them along or you would fear trouble.

Also does this happen as I tend to go into concourse so don't really know where away fans drink - is there an away fans friendly pub or is it like reading where the best bet is to go in the ground and get a beer in the concourse?

I think the bottom line is that as an away fan

A. Behave sensibly, have a drink and a chat

B. Dont take any liberties.  

I for one enjoy having a chat with away fans, and as I attend far more away than home games. I give the teams visited the same level of courtesy. You can generally tell what pubs to avoid at away games.

I think you've possibly answered your own question. Those who want to enjoy a few pints and mingle with else fine. Those who purposely who are looking from trouble no. 

That said those who look for trouble are not likely to be seen in a fan park..

Away pubs tend to be the TF and H&C. The TF is very popular because of its choice of real ales - seems to be known as such by lot of away fans. 

in theory we should always try and be tolerant of guests so have a nice chat by all means but if they group up and start singing their own songs then that makes it difficult - more than welcome to have a drink, mind your P&Qs, don't take the piss or gang up. doesn't matter what you wear IMHO.

Basically if a few people you didn't know (mates of mates) came around your house and started being a bit obnoxious you would probably ask them to leave.

35 minutes ago, Neo said:

I read the previous thread about away fans in hospitality and kicking off when they over-celebrated and it got me thinking about pre-match as I'm generally intrigued what views are in terms of what home fans think is allowable pre-match as I have no idea where away fans go.

I see the occasional away fans walking down winterstoke and nobody seems at all interested and very much live and let live but where does that stop for some?

For example we have a fan zone outside now - what would the attitude be if a group of villa fans in villa shirts rocked up today and just stood in the middle drinking beers and having a chat like groups of city fans do. Would people think this is a liberty or not care?

If not care then what would cause that to change? If they were in stone island type lad wear and not shirts? If they started getting louder and a bit brash as the drink kicked in? If they started singing Villa songs?

I suppose, in short, at what point, if any, would they piss you off enough to get you to the point where you want them stewards to move them along or you would fear trouble.

Also does this happen as I tend to go into concourse so don't really know where away fans drink - is there an away fans friendly pub or is it like reading where the best bet is to go in the ground and get a beer in the concourse?

I did see a number of Newcastle fans being turned away from the fan zone pre the Newcastle game.

So I don't think away fans are officially welcome.

12 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I think you've possibly answered your own question. Those who want to enjoy a few pints and mingle with else fine. Those who purposely who are looking from trouble no. 

That said those who look for trouble are not likely to be seen in a fan park..

Away pubs tend to be the TF and H&C. The TF is very popular because of its choice of real ales - seems to be known as such by lot of away fans. 

Income wise the club is really missing out by not providing a club type bar area inside AG for away fans, anything from 1-2.5K away fans with money to spend, and apart from the outlets inside the walkways of the Atyeo those fans take their custom elsewhere.

I suspect the police would love to have the vast majority of those fans inside the stadium as soon as they arrive  and I would rather they give their money to City.

27 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I did see a number of Newcastle fans being turned away from the fan zone pre the Newcastle game.

So I don't think away fans are officially welcome.

Interesting as I heard somewhere (maybe on here) they were checking fans under coats for Newcastle shirts but what about if people want to go to the club shop?

I presume there are still many fans that like to buy a badge or other such memorabilia from grounds they visit - they have no choice but to go to the home end !!

I've no idea what started the aggro after the Newcastle game that was filmed, uploaded to Facebook and reported in the BEP. After the game, I was walking back to my car near the SS Great Britain, it was raining a bit and I saw loads of Newcastle fans walking in the direction of town and Temple Meads. Some City fans were offering the Newcastle fans lifts to wherever they were going. Fair play if that was you. I saw plenty of away fans in the Rose of Denmark and Nova Scotia after the game although I suspect they were making more of a night/weekend of it than Villa fans will. I agree with the previous post that there should be a large bar area for the away fans on site. It makes sense on every level.

Several times I've been to away games and caught up with mates who support the home team... Then found it difficult to go somewhere for a drink with them because overzealous bouncers turn me away from their pubs. Its not the 1980s anymore, but I guess the legacy of it still lives on in how football fans are treated today.

In general, the further away from the ground you go, the more likely you are to see home and away fans mixing together, drinking and chatting. I'm all for that sort of atmosphere, but I wouldn't want an opposing fan celebrating a goal in the seat next to me.

There are always supporters drinking in most places on North Street and 95% of the time it's never a problem and you can predict the times it will be.

It's been pointed out to me before that it often ends up being a reciprocal deal, so problems at their place, become problems for their away fans here. 

I'd take it a step further, so fans of clubs with faceless bowls in the middle of nowhere, should be made to drink at the side of the A370 six miles away.

40 minutes ago, phantom said:

Always think Ashton Gate must be one of the worst grounds for pubs for away fans. Apart from Millwall I can't think of any ground I've been to where there isn't a number of pubs very close for away fans 

Seriously?? :o

Hello Reading. Hello Colchester. Hello Wycombe. Hello Coventry. Hello Stoke. I'm sure I could go on.

I may have the old rose tinteds on but funnily enough I often think the complete opposite, how spoiled are away fans that in a few minutes walk the older ones can find a selection of proper boozers around the river (fresh air, away friendly, fantastic locations) and the younger or more family oriented ones can be on North Street in a few minutes with all the modern drinking and eating they could want, and no dark satanic mills or boarded up shop windows.

Few clubs are going to be able to enjoy a selection of pubs outside the stadium, Brentford is fantastic but the pubs were already dropping one by one (consistent with general pub trend), and now they're moving (although the new ground will be even closer to the M4 and a few pubs in Kew, I believe).

• Admin
12 minutes ago, Olé said:

Seriously?? :o

Hello Reading. Hello Colchester. Hello Wycombe. Hello Coventry. Hello Stoke. I'm sure I could go on.

Apart from Stoke and Colchester, I've certainly been in bars close to the ground at all the other places you listed. But get your point 

At Stoke and Colchester away fans were allowed in fans bars at the ground 

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

Apart from Stoke and Colchester, I've certainly been in bars close to the ground at all the other places you listed. But get your point 

At Stoke and Colchester away fans were allowed in fans bars at the ground 

You need to clue me up on Reading. Can only recall that one pub about 10 minutes walk away in the middle of a housing estate?

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Always think Ashton Gate must be one of the worst grounds for pubs for away fans. Apart from Millwall I can't think of any ground I've been to where there isn't a number of pubs very close for away fans 

Really? Ok they aren't all next door but away fans go to the Nova, The Robins, Hen & Chicken and the TF. Only a five/ten minute wander tops for some pretty good food and drink I'd say. Think we are very lucky in the options we have around the ground. 

2 hours ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Quick question?

What numbering system is the OP using?

I can't find 'li' in the roman system.

If you are using the Bristol system, the 'L' always, always comes at the end.

E.g. "One-thousand-L"; or "Gert-loads-L".

Uncle TFR

Apologies II or maybe V is appropriate :cool:

Archived