IGNORED

Player managers - A thing of the past?

Tipps69

I'm just watching The Fantasy Football Club on Sky with Frank Sinclair & he's talking about his time at Chelsea & coming up through the ranks & what it was like playing under Hoddle & Gullit (both as player managers) & it got me thinking that is the player manager position a thing of the past?

Along with the two mentioned above there was Dalglish, Merson, Souness, Robson (Bryan), Vialli & Reid (Peter) & our very own Jordan & Tinnion.

But it seems like no one has made the step up for a very long time.

Is there anyone who could possibly make that move now?

John Terry is the one that jumps out at me but I think the appointment of Conte means that he won't get that chance at Chelsea, apart from that, no one really jumps out at me.

For City, the only one out of the current crop that I could maybe see having a chance is Joe Bryan.

But I would say that clubs are less inclined to appoint a player manager now because everyone wants someone with experience & they are no longer willing to take a risk as football has advanced from a sport into a business & the money involved means that clubs are now looking for instant results.

I used to like the fact that players seemed to have the opportunity to move on to the next level with a club rather than just retire but I guess players nowadays have already made their money & don't really see the need to stay within the game plus football has moved on so much with the scientific approach taking away the old style football manager that used to be required.

Sad when old concepts tend to die away, like the Sweeper role - used to be lauded as a fantastic position, playing out from the back, leading the team forward and mopping up when required, but that role hasn't been talked of for many a year.

Player-managers seem like they would still have a place in a league 2 / conference team, where money is tighter. 

Good thought, they've drifted away and I hadn't noticed.

This story says all league managers are now required to have UEFA B coaching certificate and be working to UEFA and that requirement means few players are eligible for the position.

Another story cited Garry Monk (2014) and Ryan Biggs (2015) as the most recent ones in the top division and then only as interim managers

I thought (though it's not mentioned) that a big part of it for the player was to keep their high playing salary whilst starting in management, Ruud Gullitt when PM at Chelsea specifically stated managers were massively underpaid compared to players at the time.  Manager salaries have since shot up so that reason has gone away. 

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21928791

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Good thought, they've drifted away and I hadn't noticed.

This story says all league managers are now required to have UEFA B coaching certificate and be working to UEFA and that requirement means few players are eligible for the position.

Another story cited Garry Monk (2014) and Ryan Biggs (2015) as the most recent ones in the top division and then only as interim managers

I thought (though it's not mentioned) that a big part of it for the player was to keep their high playing salary whilst starting in management, Ruud Gullitt when PM at Chelsea specifically stated managers were massively underpaid compared to players at the time.  Manager salaries have since shot up so that reason has gone away. 

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21928791

No relation of Ronnie? Man U bankrolled by organised crime!

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Oddly the first, and only, one that sprang to my mind was Russell Osman who you've not listed, I'd forgotten Tins was and didn't know the other two were. I confess to not even having heard of Pat Beasley; football memories are very short.

Pat was manager of our last but one championship winning team in 1955. That was after he stopped playing though.

The former West Ham player did it for Leyton Orient last season. Can't think of his name and he wasn't very successful. In my eyes, and I don't know the history of football like you lot, I can't see the benefits from it. Too much to do as a manager nowadays. It may have been possible before but I just can't see a situation where it would work. Too much money in the game as well meaning money at stake. Why would a premier league club appoint a player manager? If it proves too much then a lot of money could be lost. Think with everything, time and money changes things. Soon there won't be players on the pitch like Flint who are out and out defenders. I've seen it in my favoured sport basketball. There were set positions 20 years ago. You had a point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward and a centre. Those are all blurred now with centres being phased out. You get your genetic freaks that are tall and still coordinated but you don't get many "traditional" centres anymore. Everyone has to be able to shoot from a reasonable distance. You'll see this with football all the way back to keepers. Bayern Munich is an example. Teams will start getting more and more like them. Not in terms of play but in terms of everyone is versatile enough to play almost anywhere. Their fullbacks can play everywhere except keeper and striker(debatable). Their keeper and CBs all defend and are comfortable(understatement) on the ball. They have players all over the pitch that could do a job in another position of needed. You see this at Bristol City now. Not to the extent but it's the way it's going. 

So back to the point. Times change and the games change with them. It'll never be the same sport you fell in love with as a child. Many don't like the change and not all change is good but for the most part it'll have to be accepted. 

He's the only player that is still with "his" club & if you listen to anyone who has anything to do with Chelsea, from the old pro's (Drogba / Lampard) to the youngsters (Tammy Abraham & Todd Kane), they all say what an influence he has on them & the club in general. He also knows what he's talking about when it comes to tactics & ways to play & I'm sure he would have the respect of the players.

No one else at any other club has such an affiliation with their club apart from maybe Mark Noble at West Ham but he still has a fair few years of playing time in front of him before he has to worry about what he'll do next.

Archived